UPenn Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@AequitasEquitas I was speaking with Jackie McLaughlin recently and she said you can still get the committee letter if you take 3 fall 4 spring and 1 in the summer, I'm planning on doing that to fit in MCAT prep this fall
...That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. I should spend as much time on the MCAT as possible.

And cool @AequitasEquitas! I haven't yet had that *mandatory meeting* with an advisor (happening Thursday) but hopefully signing up for those classes won't be a problem. Maybe I'll see you around :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude I'm in the same boat @BornSinner - Have vert phys with Witmer and super worried about pulling an A in that course...thinking of dropping it but can't find a different course to take in its place.

Dude I'm in the same boat @BornSinner - Have vert phys with Witmer and super worried about pulling an A in that course...thinking of dropping it but can't find a different course to take in its place.

Maybe @robflanker can shed some light if he took this course even though he's a bit removed from the program.
I never took it and I don't know much about it, I just know Witmer can be kind of tough when she feels like it. Try BBB courses if any are available and feel free to ask me specific courses and I'll tell y'all what I know about them

Maybe @robflanker can shed some light if he took this course even though he's a bit removed from the program.
I never took it and I don't know much about it, I just know Witmer can be kind of tough when she feels like it. Try BBB courses if any are available and feel free to ask me specific courses and I'll tell y'all what I know about them
Nope, never took anything with Witmer - sorry

Apologies if this is a stupid question. I'm researching post-baccs early for the fall of 2015, and I just want to confirm that Penn's "customized course schedule" for the SSP only refers to science courses and would not offer electives i.e. pysch/soc? Thanks in advance.

@AuCourante, there are Psych/Soc classes available however, I'm not sure they count towards the Specialized Studies Certificate, which is needed for the committee letter. I'm about to start in this program this fall and was hoping to take an evolutionary psychology course, but they advised me not to since I'd already taken Psych and Sociology courses in undergrad. So they may count towards the certificate if you haven't taken any before but I can't speak to this.

Is anyone here taking the Microbio class (BIOL 275-601), and know if we have class this Saturday or not?

Reactions: 1 user
@AuCourante, there are Psych/Soc classes available however, I'm not sure they count towards the Specialized Studies Certificate, which is needed for the committee letter. I'm about to start in this program this fall and was hoping to take an evolutionary psychology course, but they advised me not to since I'd already taken Psych and Sociology courses in undergrad. So they may count towards the certificate if you haven't taken any before but I can't speak to this.

Is anyone here taking the Microbio class (BIOL 275-601), and know if we have class this Saturday or not?

Awesome, thanks for the insight! Will definitely call to see if they will count towards the cert.

I'm also about to start SSP this semester. I tried to sign up for a psych course (I'd never taken one before as an undergrad) and was told psych courses wouldn't count toward the certificate/committee letter. Hard sciences were suggested instead. I'm not sure if I was a special case and I don't want to mislead anyone, but I hope this kinda helps answer your question @AuCourante. Def try calling the office just to hear it from them yourself :)

I believe so according to the syllabus on canvas... btw why the hell is there class on Saturday...?

@BornSinner @AequitasEquitas I just finished this program and took plenty of witmer classes. I was pretty much scared as heck when I first started her class but I ended up with an A, its all curved so as long as you do average you will get a good grade. My test scores might not seem great, but they were decently above the average, I got a 70,80,85. I had a friend who got lower and still got an A. I suggest reading the textbook to supplement her lecture, and remember that she doesn't do physiology the classic way, she doesn't want you to memorize things but more understand the math behind them and the concepts. Let me know if you want any more advice

Last edited:
@BornSinner @AequitasEquitas I just finished this program and took plenty of witmer classes. I was pretty much scared as heck when I first started her class but I ended up with an A, its all curved so as long as you do average you will get a good grade. My test scores might not seem great, but they were decently the average, I got a 70,80,85. I had a friend who got lower and still got an A. I suggest reading the textbook to supplement her lecture, and remember that she doesn't do physiology the classic way, she doesn't want you to memorize things but more understand the math behind them and the concepts. Let me know if you want any more advice

Thanks for the response! Yeah she doesn't seem too bad from the classes I've had with her so far... So now that you have finished the program what are you doing? Did you link somewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, linking is really annoying and there are a lot of random requirements. It's also really hard to link if you're doing 1 year since the process starts late fall/winter before you're really finished with too many classes, its much much better for people doing 2 years and people doing core studies. I'm just applying through AMCAS and working, woo, boring enough.

Nah, linking is really annoying and there are a lot of random requirements. It's also really hard to link if you're doing 1 year since the process starts late fall/winter before you're really finished with too many classes, its much much better for people doing 2 years and people doing core studies. I'm just applying through AMCAS and working, woo, boring enough.
+1

I've been saying this for years and yet no one listens. Thank you for adding your voice to the diminished attractiveness of linking

I just wanna say thank you to sixstringpsych and robflanker for helping a lot of us here. You guys have been great and thanks to you I am starting the program this semester. Just out of curiosity, you guys must be pretty busy being med students. Is there any reason/motive for being good Samaritans here?

I just wanna say thank you to sixstringpsych and robflanker for helping a lot of us here. You guys have been great and thanks to you I am starting the program this semester. Just out of curiosity, you guys must be pretty busy being med students. Is there any reason/motive for being good Samaritans here?
No motive/reason. Just trying to do the right thing.

Hi All!

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the academic associate program. Do you actually talk to patients in the ER? I know students work on research studies in the ER, but I can't picture how exactly this works. Thank you!

Hi All!

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the academic associate program. Do you actually talk to patients in the ER? I know students work on research studies in the ER, but I can't picture how exactly this works. Thank you!
Lots of patient interaction - depends on the study for the type of interaction

No problem! Like robflanker said, just trying to help others who's position I was in not too long ago :)

For everyone in the program...how are you guys financing your education? I received subsidized+unsubsidized loans of 12.5K but I need almost 15K more to pay for a full year of school...is the rest supposed to be provided via private loans?

My understanding from a meeting w/ an FA rep is that you get one federal loan for $5500 through the entire duration of the program (1-2 years doesn't matter), aren't eligible for work study, and take anything else they'll give you. Then you figure out how to make up the difference (some combination of private loans/trust fund/picking up dropped coins off the street).

Also note (for applicants if any are here): re: evening/night classes, they're offered at a reduced rate but you have lab fees/misc other fees that you'll incur if you go full-time. They've also stopped mailing out paper bills as of about May (I think) so you have to log in and check on your bills online with no notification or else incur late fees. Summer classes are full price and during the day.

+1

I've been saying this for years and yet no one listens. Thank you for adding your voice to the diminished attractiveness of linking

Lol, and it's worse now w/ MCAT 2015 and new requirements. I'm shocked they actually still let people enroll under the pretense of it being a one-year program. (2 semesters GenChem + 2 OChem + 1 biochem = 1 year. Yeah...no.)

Hi All!

Everyone I've talked to (students, professors who mentor students) has said that you're basically their bitch for a year and they treat you like crap cause they know you need the experience. Supposedly they just had a turnover of the higher-ups in the program though and they're going to **revamp things.** We'll see how that goes.

My understanding is you screen pts for potential studies....like you look at their intake files and see if maybe Mr. WhatsHisName might be eligible for a study on (let's say traumatic toe amputation). Then maybe you get to talk to him and ask if he'd like to be in the study? I don't know if you actually do any research until at least second semester.

Everyone I've talked to (students, professors who mentor students) has said that you're basically their bitch for a year and they treat you like crap cause they know you need the experience. Supposedly they just had a turnover of the higher-ups in the program though and they're going to **revamp things.** We'll see how that goes.

My understanding is you screen pts for potential studies....like you look at their intake files and see if maybe Mr. WhatsHisName might be eligible for a study on (let's say traumatic toe amputation). Then maybe you get to talk to him and ask if he'd like to be in the study? I don't know if you actually do any research until at least second semester.
I did it and got a job as a result of the experience

You are def doing bitch work for a lot of stuff but you get to do and see stuff that others don't. The experience at CHOP was very diff than the HUP experience. The point of the course is to not necessarily get you published but to get exposure to the process - it also makes you a lot more competitive to apply for clinical research jobs in hospitals with a year of the research under your belt.

I did it, and loved it, and would recommend it. But it could have changed significantly since I was there back in the day

I did it and got a job as a result of the experience

You are def doing bitch work for a lot of stuff but you get to do and see stuff that others don't. The experience at CHOP was very diff than the HUP experience. The point of the course is to not necessarily get you published but to get exposure to the process - it also makes you a lot more competitive to apply for clinical research jobs in hospitals with a year of the research under your belt.

I did it, and loved it, and would recommend it. But it could have changed significantly since I was there back in the day

Gotcha. Maybe I found the bitter ones (or maybe there was a rationale behind the leadership change?). I would say definitely go for it then. I asked a professor that I look up to about it and he made the comments that I referenced initially so I'm probably biased. Students agreed, but I only talked to about 4 or 5—clearly not everyone in the program.

So I've read the majority of this thread, and I want to say thanks to robflanker and all the others who have given their time and advice, and for those who've asked questions - it's been tremendously helpful. I still have just a couple of questions/concerns that I want to put out there though...

My first question is, do CS students actually take all of their basic requirements with only other CS students? Someone said that a couple of years back in this thread, which surprised me as I thought that all courses for CS were taken with undergrads?

As far as concerns go, I've noticed a lot of people getting responses to their personal situations here so I figure I'll give it a go in the hopes for some sound advice - hopefully it helps others as well...

I was accepted to Penn's CS program in addition to UVM's program for fall 2014, but deferred to work as an EMT here in San Diego for the clinical experience and hours (1000 hrs so far) - been volunteering in an ER as well (roughly 60 hrs) and traveled to Guatemala in 2012 on a medical mission trip (80 hrs). I graduated in 2009 from Ithaca College with a Comm degree - GPA 3.36. Science GPA is around a 3.78 since I've only taken 5 undergrad science courses and did reasonably well in all - overall GPA is around a 3.41 I believe.

So finally, I'm having a difficult time deciding between Penn and UVM. Penn has a great reputation (generally, not necessarily the post-bacc), I have friends in the area, and family lives close by in MD. The UVM post-bacc seems to have a slightly better reputation, and sounds a bit easier academically, however I have zero family/friends in the area and my blood is thinner than water at this point. BTW, looking to go the MD route, likely into a surgical field.

Ultimately, yes, it's a personal decision... but I'm curious to hear if anyone's got anything to add about UPenn's CS program lately and their experience there. Or, should you have any info about UVM or anything else that doesn't necessarily serve the Penn feed, feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
1) CS students take most of their classes at night with CS students. Undergrads can petition the school to be allowed into our classes if they have extenuating circumstances. But its 97% CS/SS people, and undergrads take their classes during the day.

2) I haven't been there lately so i'll leave that to someone. Personally, I think Philly offers more job opportunities overall than UVM does, so say you don't get in first pass or need to get a job while taking classes then thats going to be a lot easier in Philly than Burlington.

1) CS students take most of their classes at night with CS students. Undergrads can petition the school to be allowed into our classes if they have extenuating circumstances. But its 97% CS/SS people, and undergrads take their classes during the day.

2) I haven't been there lately so i'll leave that to someone. Personally, I think Philly offers more job opportunities overall than UVM does, so say you don't get in first pass or need to get a job while taking classes then thats going to be a lot easier in Philly than Burlington.

Thanks, Rob. Much appreciated.

Any SSP students who successfully linked out there care to share their experience? I'm wondering how feasible it actually is. The admissions people were very reluctant to share information about this.

Any SSP students who successfully linked out there care to share their experience? I'm wondering how feasible it actually is. The admissions people were very reluctant to share information about this.
Discussed at length in this thread. Virtually no-one links in general - those that do are pre-health. I've never heard of an SSP student linking. I looked into it and wasn't eligible for any of them

Discussed at length in this thread. Virtually no-one links in general - those that do are pre-health. I've never heard of an SSP student linking. I looked into it and wasn't eligible for any of them

Sounds about right...

Assuming the prereqs for RWJ are still a 3.2 cGPA from undergrad, 3.6 in the program, and 30 MCAT, I could qualify, but the odds are just terrible from what I gather. Securing linkage is tough enough but even then you still need to interview successfully and basically go through the entire application process. It's not much of a guarantee.

I'm currently in the specialized studies program and I know one girl who is trying to link at Robert Wood Johnson but is definitely not banking on it. I think the biggest reason most students don't is because of the sparse options available to the specialized students and that linking is no guarantee of matriculation; might as well just work really hard and see how AMCAS goes.

The core students however have seem to utilize it much more frequently.

Sounds about right...

Assuming the prereqs for RWJ are still a 3.2 cGPA from undergrad, 3.6 in the program, and 30 MCAT, I could qualify, but the odds are just terrible from what I gather. Securing linkage is tough enough but even then you still need to interview successfully and basically go through the entire application process. It's not much of a guarantee.
When I was there, for the RWJ link, you couldn't have ever had a C in a pre-req even if you repeated it and got a better grade. I got a C in orgo II, repeated it and got an A, but wasn't eligible for that reason. They are full of ticky tacky rules like that.

It's best to not bank on it or pick a program because of linking.

Yeah, it looks like this program isn't for me. I don't necessarily even need a post-bac but I know some of them are as good as getting into med school with basically a pre-MS1 year tacked on--not the case with Penn it seems.

I'm really just trying to secure a med school seat for 2016. I won't take the MCAT until August, so programs like this are all I can apply to right now. I've already applied to Temple's post-bac and Touro-CA's MSMHS. Unfortunately there's not much more I can add to this list since I'm in the weird spot of having most of my pre-reqs done but not having taken the MCAT.

I'm currently a student in the Penn core studies. Something to point out: Penn curves hard - most tests have an average of roughly 70 and they cap the A's given at 30% of the class in general and organic chemistry. Technically, you cannot apply to the Core Studies program if you have taken the medical pre-reqs, but any LPS student can sign up for core studies classes. I am currently being graded in Orgo II against at least 4 students (that I know of) that have already taken the full organic chemistry requirement (in a class of <30 students), and got into LPS courses to retake for a better grade, either through begging as an undergrad (seems to work pretty easily, I've yet to have a single class without at least a few Penn undergrads in it), by being an alumni of Penn (many of the alumni you will be competing against in gen-chem are engineers - my Gen Chem II+Lab class last summer was >50% undergrads/alumni) or by getting accepted to Specialized Studies and simply signing up for courses you aren't supposed to be taking. Penn seems to be a really good option if you are 100% sure coming in ahead of time that you are going to crush everything and everyone and want that little extra bit of prestige from the Ivy League name and the legitimately good research/clinical opportunities here.

I've browsed through this thread and the program website and I couldn't really find a specific answer to one of my questions about the Specialized Studies program. Do the courses you take in the SSP curriculum count towards your undergraduate GPA or does it count as a graduate GPA? My current undergrad stats are: cGPA of 3.68, sGPA 3.46, MCAT 33 (13V, 9p, 11B). Decent ECs but no research experience, decent LORs. I've applied to Temple ACMS and the Cincinnati SMP, but after talking to an alum of the Cincinnati program, it seems to me that an SMP would not be as helpful for me as just doing a program that would boost my undergrad GPA and increase my research experience. What do you guys think? Thanks!

I've browsed through this thread and the program website and I couldn't really find a specific answer to one of my questions about the Specialized Studies program. Do the courses you take in the SSP curriculum count towards your undergraduate GPA or does it count as a graduate GPA? My current undergrad stats are: cGPA of 3.68, sGPA 3.46, MCAT 33 (13V, 9p, 11B). Decent ECs but no research experience, decent LORs. I've applied to Temple ACMS and the Cincinnati SMP, but after talking to an alum of the Cincinnati program, it seems to me that an SMP would not be as helpful for me as just doing a program that would boost my undergrad GPA and increase my research experience. What do you guys think? Thanks!
Count towards your u grad gpa.

There is something else wrong with your app if you aren't getting in with your stats

Save your money and do something else with your year off
Seriously? I don't think a 3.46 sGPA will cut it in med school applications... I wanted to do something like a medical scribe during my gap year if none of the programs worked, but I really feel unsure about the sGPA.

Seriously? I don't think a 3.46 sGPA will cut it in med school applications... I wanted to do something like a medical scribe during my gap year if none of the programs worked, but I really feel unsure about the sGPA.
So take one or two classes at a local 4-year university while working. UPenn is $20k per year + housing which you don't need.

A scribe is a waste of time too - zero help or usefulness in med school. If you want to beef up your resume in regard to research then find a research gig at a big academic hospital, then take 1 or 2 classes at that university as a non degree student. You don't need all the things that come with this program, especially the cost.

3.46 sGPA is adequate

Hmmm, that sounds like a good plan. I wonder how easy it'll be getting a research position at an academic hospital...I'll be in Denver, CO this summer, and if I'm not doing any programs, I'll be staying there for the rest of the year, so I could try to find something at the Anschutz campus. I just don't want to not be able to find any research positions and then be screwed for my gap year. If I can't find any research positions, what else would you suggest doing? Continue volunteering at hospitals and other places and shadowing docs?

Hmmm, that sounds like a good plan. I wonder how easy it'll be getting a research position at an academic hospital...I'll be in Denver, CO this summer, and if I'm not doing any programs, I'll be staying there for the rest of the year, so I could try to find something at the Anschutz campus. I just don't want to not be able to find any research positions and then be screwed for my gap year. If I can't find any research positions, what else would you suggest doing? Continue volunteering at hospitals and other places and shadowing docs?
If u want to keep shadowing go for it, but after AMCAS goes out it, it wont make a difference.

Get a job, and make some money. Doesn't have to be in healthcare but it would be nice if it was. Could always get your EMT license and then find a job that way - not the most glamorous, and certainly not unique for med school apps anymore but its easy to do and pretty safe job market. Univ of Colorado med school is big enough - there should be positions available.

Hi everyone, I just wanted some advice.

I'm applying to the Upenn SSP program, but I was wondering if this would be a better option vs an SMP (Georgetown's)
My stats are:
3.35+ sGPA
3.5 cGPA
MCAT: 30-33

I heard raising that uGPA is the best thing to do in my situation.
Are the classes at SSP easy/hard?

Thanks.

For any students starting Penn Post-bac this summer, I am a Penn Core Studies student starting my second year (completed gen chem/orgo/bio and associated labs so far, taking physics over the summer and biochem/MCAT prep in the fall), and I have two rooms in the house I'm staying at available starting in May. Not only is my place ballin' and cheap, but you'd have someone nearby who got good grades throughout and can help you out with your studies and navigating the Penn post-bac. House is a recently renovated three story + furnished basement, 4BR/3.5 bath with brand new kitchen, hot-tub out back, roof deck, well-equipped home gym (power rack, bench, olympic barbell, plenty of weight) and a piano. 20-30 minute walk (I find it a really pleasant way to start my day) or <10 minute bike ride to Penn. Rent is $800/month and includes power/water/gas. Hit me up a [email protected] if you're interested.

Hey guys!

I am thinking of applying to Upenn ssp program, since my gpa is below 3.0, and I really need to boost it up. Do you think this gpa is too low or is it worth a shot? Will upenn's program be any good at increasing sGPA if I do well in the science classes?

Hey guys!

I am thinking of applying to Upenn ssp program, since my gpa is below 3.0, and I really need to boost it up. Do you think this gpa is too low or is it worth a shot? Will upenn's program be any good at increasing sGPA if I do well in the science classes?
Probably will still need an SMP if u r sub 3.0

Did anybody get a decision from the pre health core studies program? I had my interview on Monday but haven't heard anything yet.

Did anybody get a decision from the pre health core studies program? I had my interview on Monday but haven't heard anything yet.
I interviewed 3/23 and got accepted 4/1 for Fall 2015 CS.
Anyone else get in to CS program? I'm looking for roommates.

I interviewed 3/23 and got accepted 4/1 for Fall 2015 CS.
Anyone else get in to CS program? I'm looking for roommates.

I got in to the core studies program yesterday, but I'm deferring until next summer