UPenn Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been accepted to Summer 2015 SSP? I was offered an interview today.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey team, just got my acceptance to the Specialized Studies Program today (4/27)! Finished my application 3/4, interviewed 4/13.

3.38 cGPA / 3.18 sGPA / 32 MCAT
Strong shadowing/volunteering/research.

As of now it looks as though I will be graduating with a 3.47 cGPA and a 3.24 sGPA. Based off these numbers, I'm beginning to lean more towards a program such as UPenn rather than an SMP given that if I rock it I will be able to push my cGPA over 3.5 and my sGPA over 3.4.

Do any of the alums of the program have any commentary on how difficult it was to perform research during the program? I know that the classes are all in the evening, but did the heaviness of the course load make it a challenge to do good research simultaneously? I'm hoping to do some research with or tangental to UPenn's rad onc department.

Hey team, just got my acceptance to the Specialized Studies Program today (4/27)! Finished my application 3/4, interviewed 4/13.

As of now it looks as though I will be graduating with a 3.47 cGPA and a 3.24 sGPA. Based off these numbers, I'm beginning to lean more towards a program such as UPenn rather than an SMP given that if I rock it I will be able to push my cGPA over 3.5 and my sGPA over 3.4.

Do any of the alums of the program have any commentary on how difficult it was to perform research during the program? I know that the classes are all in the evening, but did the heaviness of the course load make it a challenge to do good research simultaneously? I'm hoping to do some research with or tangental to UPenn's rad onc department.
Not too tough - I think I spent like 2-3 hours a day at most on school work, and I took a full course load.

And I had a job too

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, I'm going to be starting the CS program this Summer with Bio courses. Does anyone have any experience with the different professors and teaching styles?

I am also planning to register for Fall courses as soon as possible as well. Thanks!

Anyone in the last few years take Chem 1 in the summer with Dmochowski/Topp? If so, any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Starting in a few weeks and looking to dial in study habits/techniques now.

Hey there, I'm going to be starting the CS program this Summer with Bio courses. Does anyone have any experience with the different professors and teaching styles?

I am also planning to register for Fall courses as soon as possible as well. Thanks!

When do classes begin for you?

I found it's a lot easier to find volunteer positions than part-time research positions. I heard the post-bac listserves consistently post positions, so I'm not going to worry too much yet. Right now I'm set up to spend about 16-20 hours a week volunteering at clinical research labs and I'm worried if this will be too much to have on my plate with 3 classes and (hopefully) a job.

Hi! I am considering applying to this program for Spring 2016 (I was really hoping to start school in the fall, but I am worried about applying for fall admission this late in the game, even though the app isn't technically due until July...). Has anyone who has taken the GRE had success in getting in? I originally applied to PA school, so I didn't need to take the MCAT. I scored as well as I needed to to meet the requirements for PA, but it is not a competitive score in terms of regular graduate program admission. I was wondering, if anyone has taken it, what was their score range/percentile? I am planning on re-taking it this summer to hopefully make me a more competitive applicant to this program. Or would it be better to switch gears and just take the MCAT instead? Any help is appreciated!

hi Kazill! I was wondering what types of questions they asked you in the interview, and how it went overall. I was asked for an interview today for the pre-specialized health program starting this fall. Any input would be so appreciated!

thx,
Emir

Did anybody get a decision from the pre health core studies program? I had my interview on Monday but haven't heard anything yet.
Hi! i was wondering what kinds of questions they asked you in the interview//how you prepared?

best,
Emir

Hi! i was wondering what kinds of questions they asked you in the interview//how you prepared?

best,
Emir

They had us all sit in a conference room and pulled us aside one by one to interview us. My interviewer asked me why I want to be a doctor, why I'd be a good candidate for Upenn, how I can show I'd do well in my studies, what are ethical issues I observe in health care, what kind of doctor I want to be, what population I want to work with, what experience I've had in health care, if I've had direct contact with patients during my experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They had us all sit in a conference room and pulled us aside one by one to interview us. My interviewer asked me why I want to be a doctor, why I'd be a good candidate for Upenn, how I can show I'd do well in my studies, what are ethical issues I observe in health care, what kind of doctor I want to be, what population I want to work with, what experience I've had in health care, if I've had direct contact with patients during my experience.
thanks Baeh. I have my interview next week and am starting to prepare..

When did you submit your app? Did you apply for the SSP?

I'm planning on finally submitting my app for the SSP tonight and I want to know how long they will take to get back to me.

Did you work in a research lab? and you were able to take four classes with labs?

Emir
Took 1 class that had a lab, and 3 other classes per semester.

And no, I did not work in a research lab. I'm not sure the specifics of my employment are relevant. I had a research based job and took a full course load both semesters I was in SSP.

Just submitted my application to SSP!!!
Now, the wait. Anyone else applied recently?

Can we make a facebook group for people who were accepted summer/fall 2015?

Can we make a facebook group for people who were accepted summer/fall 2015?
Hey @baeh how long did it take upenn to get back to you after submitting your application online?

Hey @baeh how long did it take upenn to get back to you after submitting your application online?
hi hi. I applied on April 1 for SSP for fall 2015, and got an interview request the first week of May.

Hope this helps
emir

hey also was wondering.. what are the typical routes for students paying tuition. are there any governmental loans you can apply for? or is it only private

Hi all. So after reading through all 32 pages of this thread, I decided to delurk and ask a question. I get that linking is overrated and not a sure bet. However, no one has mentioned if anyone ever successfully linked to PCOM. Can anyone comment on how likely/unlikely admission to PCOM is? :) Thanks!!
Never heard of anyone linking to PCOM, and only know one person who linked in general.

I am 5-ish years out of this program tho so i'm not the most current

hi hi. I applied on April 1 for SSP for fall 2015, and got an interview request the first week of May.

Hope this helps
emir
Oh wow, so it will be about a month before I will potentially hear back from them. I was hoping it'll be faster than that...
Thanks for the response emir!

I think about a week? Penn responded faster than other schools b/c I was already in their system from my masters program here.

hey also was wondering.. what are the typical routes for students paying tuition. are there any governmental loans you can apply for? or is it only private
I talked with SFS the other day and the counselor said federal loans can cover a small fraction of the tuition. We don't have a choice but to take out private loans. I'm looking up scholarships right now, but they're hard to find. I don't know if they'll even grant me one b/c I don't know if they'll consider me undergraduate.

Here's my attempt at an unbiased opinion from my personal experience in Penn's Core Studies Program:

1) When I started, everyone wanted to link. Most people wanted to link to Penn Med. After just two semesters, I only know one person that wanted to link to Penn Med. Most people also no longer qualify to link because their GPAs have fallen so much as a result of being in Penn's Post-Bac Program.

2) Of the ~100 people in the program, I only knew one person that successfully linked. Doesn't mean there weren't more, but I talked to everyone I could and I only found out about the one.

3) Professors are told that only 20% of the class can get As. So, they make the exams so difficult that the average is a D or F (sometimes a C) and then curve. If you can't afford tutoring, you'll probably end up in the B range.

4) They offer free tutoring, but it's limited to two hours a week. Private tutoring starts at $20/hour.

5) The advisors take a VERY hands-off approach. So hands-off, in fact, that they don't even answer some emails you send them. Be prepared to figure almost everything out on your own.

6) It is more important to have a good GPA from any school than to get a low GPA from a good school. I've confirmed this with: Enrollment advisors (from other schools), the advisors at Penn, Med Students, and Doctors. My GPA has fallen drastically as a result of being at Penn and it was ~3.85 before starting this program.

7) Because of the curving, a little more than half of your classmates will compete with you and will NOT help you succeed (because they want you to do poorly so they can do better). So, expect that. There are awesome people in this program that WILL help, you just have to weed through and find them.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I had my interview yesterday and wanted to elaborate on the questions they ask for those who have their interview in the future.

1. why do you want to become a physician?
2. what environment/setting do you see yourself working in?
3. what classes from undergrad (outside of science) will prepare you for medicine?
4. what clinical / patient experience do you have?
5. what is your timeline?
6. what are some of the ethical problems you see in health care?
7. what are your strengths and weaknesses?

who else got in for ssp fall 2015!!?!:clap:

I talked with SFS the other day and the counselor said federal loans can cover a small fraction of the tuition. We don't have a choice but to take out private loans. I'm looking up scholarships right now, but they're hard to find. I don't know if they'll even grant me one b/c I don't know if they'll consider me undergraduate.

If you get a full time job working for Penn, your classes will be mostly paid for as part of your tuition benefits. It can be really hard to work full time while taking classes, and is definitely not for everyone. But it's something that's good to consider before taking out extra loans! More information on that here: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/myhr/resources/policy/benefits/tuitionfacultystaff

If you get a full time job working for Penn, your classes will be mostly paid for as part of your tuition benefits. It can be really hard to work full time while taking classes, and is definitely not for everyone. But it's something that's good to consider before taking out extra loans! More information on that here: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/myhr/resources/policy/benefits/tuitionfacultystaff

This is so helpful! I think I might have not choice but to do this option because I couldn't even find private loans that post-bac students are eligible for :(

Hello everyone! I just learned about the SSP program. Do you think I am too late to apply for Fall 2015? Deadline is July 1. I think I am a competitive applicant but I do not want to fill out an application if I do not have much of a chance to get in due to rolling admissions.

Hi everyone!

I applied on May 12th for the SSP and got my interview invite May 27th!! I'm scheduled to interview next week thru skype! I'm living in SD. Anyone have any tips?

Hi everyone!

I applied on May 12th for the SSP and got my interview invite May 27th!! I'm scheduled to interview next week thru skype! I'm living in SD. Anyone have any tips?

Goriku I have a quick question for you:

What test score did you submit with your application?

I will be attending this program in the Fall! Did anyone make a facebook group? Also, is anyone else looking for a roommate/apartment searching?

I will be attending this program in the Fall! Did anyone make a facebook group? Also, is anyone else looking for a roommate/apartment searching?
I will definitely be looking for a roommate if accepted into the program.
How long post-interview, did you find out you got accepted?

I will definitely be looking for a roommate if accepted into the program.
How long post-interview, did you find out you got accepted?

I interviewed on a Tuesday and found out Friday of that week. From what I've read on here though, that's faster than usual. I would think you'll hear in roughly a week, give or take a few days!

And I should rephrase...I'm looking for a female roommate lol =P but it will be good to know someone if you're accepted. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is so helpful! I think I might have not choice but to do this option because I couldn't even find private loans that post-bac students are eligible for :(
also Look AT CHOP! I am working there full time in a lab starting this summer and apparently tuition benefits from there also cover this program. thank god!

Hello everyone! I just learned about the SSP program. Do you think I am too late to apply for Fall 2015? Deadline is July 1. I think I am a competitive applicant but I do not want to fill out an application if I do not have much of a chance to get in due to rolling admissions.

Hi CHoge25, I think you should apply ASAP as I have heard of people applying last minute and still getting in.
Dont let that hold you back! Just write those essays!

E

Hi CHoge25, I think you should apply ASAP as I have heard of people applying last minute and still getting in.
Dont let that hold you back! Just write those essays!

E
I just applied today, hopefully my letters of rec will come in a couple days. I hope it is not too late, I would love to be apart of this program!

also Look AT CHOP! I am working there full time in a lab starting this summer and apparently tuition benefits from there also cover this program. thank god!
typically u have to be an employee there 6 months (or something like that) before they give you tuition benefits, and you must be full time

I too am a very desperate and hard-working person trying to get into medical school. After not getting into med school, I applied to Penn post bacc end of May, just interviewed yesterday, and was told at my interview that I basically got it but will receive a formal acceptance later this week.

me: 3.81 GPA, 3.61 science, 26 MCAT from 2013.

This program isn't hard to get into. They have no cap on their incoming class (sounds like $$ hungry to me). All classes are post-bacc students only and range from 25-75 students. Every student is on their own individual class schedule, so no unity of support really exists among students as you're not all going through it together.

If you're not a total lost cause and show that you have some promise, just need some help with your GPA or extra sciences, you'll get in. There is not a community feel to it, however, and there is 0 MCAT assistance. It is a get in and get out mentality and it is true that you really are paying for a reputable name. The acceptance to med school after the program is pretty high, there is a glide year though and they offer opportunities for shadowing and potentially paid work.

I was told by the admissions person that an option for me to save money is to continue working my full time job and take some classes on the side on my own if I already have a committee letter support from my undergrad - which I do. Weird that admissions said that. I guess at least they're honest. Not sure what I'm going to do.

They said they've received 150 applications since January. Usually end up with 500 total. Doesn't sound like much to me. That's all I know. Good luck everyone.

I too am a very desperate and hard-working person trying to get into medical school. After not getting into med school, I applied to Penn post bacc end of May, just interviewed yesterday, and was told at my interview that I basically got it but will receive a formal acceptance later this week.

me: 3.81 GPA, 3.61 science, 26 MCAT from 2013.

This program isn't hard to get into. They have no cap on their incoming class (sounds like $$ hungry to me). All classes are post-bacc students only and range from 25-75 students. Every student is on their own individual class schedule, so no unity of support really exists among students as you're not all going through it together.

If you're not a total lost cause and show that you have some promise, just need some help with your GPA or extra sciences, you'll get in. There is not a community feel to it, however, and there is 0 MCAT assistance. It is a get in and get out mentality and it is true that you really are paying for a reputable name. The acceptance to med school after the program is pretty high, there is a glide year though and they offer opportunities for shadowing and potentially paid work.

I was told by the admissions person that an option for me to save money is to continue working my full time job and take some classes on the side on my own if I already have a committee letter support from my undergrad - which I do. Weird that admissions said that. I guess at least they're honest. Not sure what I'm going to do.

They said they've received 150 applications since January. Usually end up with 500 total. Doesn't sound like much to me. That's all I know. Good luck everyone.
You are wasting your money at Penn.

The $20k it will cost you to attend (even if you went part-time, you are still looking at like $10k) is way more than the MCAT prep that you need. You could spent $3k on a private MCAT tutor and that would be a significantly better way to spend your money. Even if you get a 4.0 in the SSP, it isn't going to change you have a 26 MCAT. That is your issue - not more class work.

To everyone else who might read this, programs like this are not a solution to a poor MCAT. Penn is great if you are on the cusp of getting admissions to med school but need that little GPA booast with maybe some extra ECs. Take the MCAT prep you need, and don't waste it on more class work.

You are wasting your money at Penn.

The $20k it will cost you to attend (even if you went part-time, you are still looking at like $10k) is way more than the MCAT prep that you need. You could spent $3k on a private MCAT tutor and that would be a significantly better way to spend your money. Even if you get a 4.0 in the SSP, it isn't going to change you have a 26 MCAT. That is your issue - not more class work.

To everyone else who might read this, programs like this are not a solution to a poor MCAT. Penn is great if you are on the cusp of getting admissions to med school but need that little GPA booast with maybe some extra ECs. Take the MCAT prep you need, and don't waste it on more class work.

Much appreciated. That is what I figured...re-reading my post a day later I'm seeing that I already acknowledged that somewhere in my mind yesterday, lol. Temple's program would be ideal for my situation as they offer MCAT prep and I could take biochem, a new pre-req I haven't taken, as well as anatomy and phys which I never took. Super competitive though. Ah well, here's to hoping!

Did anyone else interview with Lisa Witmer? I had my interview with her and I really don't know how I feel about it... :(

Just got accepted to the SSP. Now to see how I'm going to afford this. Going to have to relocate from sunny San Diego..

can we get a facebook group started for all 2015-2016 postbaccalaureate students? Feel free to PM me for facebook info

Message me or @goriku671 if you want the fb link to the group! Or just search for Penn Pre-Health Post-bacc 2015-2016

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello guys! This is my first post in SDN. I've been reading through the posts and they are just extremely helpful! By the way, I am an international student and applying for the Pre Health program for this Fall 2015. Does anyone know the acceptance rate into this program?

Thank you! ^___^