UPenn Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those still waiting, I was offered an interview today, and I wanted to give you guys some thorough info because I was browsing these threads just a week ago down on myself thinking I'd have no chance due to how late my app was. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the Temple ACMS program, and UVM.

Applied ~ may 20th,

Non trad. in the sense that I'm 24, and wasn't planning upon attending medical school as of graduating two years ago, wanted to work in the psych pharma industry. Got there, absolutely hated it and decided it was time for a change.

Only compelling story is that I'm a second gen college student, and the first one to go to school on academic merits and not football (not really that big of a deal IMO, but some schools seemed interested), and I seriously overworked myself in university to come out debt free, which when added to my EC's paints me as extremely involved in both academic, social and work life during college.

Stats:

Grades/Scores.
3.3c 3.0s for GPA, 85th-95th on the new MCAT, 90th% + on GRE, GRE Subject, SAT and ACT. No trend in GPA, up and down throughout college, but All a's in bio prereqs, A's and B's in other prereqs, except one C in Ochem2. Coursework primarily focused in Neuroscience and Biochemistry.

EC's.
Multiple publications in 2 fields, EMT, 2k+ volunteer hours, 100+ shadowing hours, research coordinator in clinical setting psych pharma trials, worked in a low income school, study abroad, TA and tutor for several upper division biology courses, worked quite a bit (40hrs a week of paid work during college), helped plan and run 2 Relay for Lifes, and have a somewhat substantial list of awards and elected positions to my name, mostly in campus leadership and service, but a few in academics as well.

Essays.
Talked about experiences working with extreme poverty patients, and expressed a desire to work in a primarily urban and low income area, or alternatively military medicine.

After seeing all these average GPA's above mine, and thinking it's probably to late for me to just go back to undergrad to boost my GPA .2 or .3, to be competitive, it was a huge wait off my shoulders to hear that I was going to get an interview today. I've seen positives and negative about the Penn program so far, but I just want to wish everyone good luck, especially those of you who had to make hard choices about how to use your time during college, and perhaps suffered for it.

Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
@Teal08 What would you recommend for students to do if they had a spotty GPA trend?

@Zanjrb Would you recommend solid coursework if someone had a spotty GPA with a recent downward trend?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Teal08 What would you recommend for students to do if they had a spotty GPA trend?

@Zanjrb Would you recommend solid coursework if someone had a spotty GPA with a recent downward trend?
You posted the same basic message to like 6 users in 4 different threads.

The basic solution is you get As in your coursework.

The more complicated answer depends on your GPA numbers exactly as how to best proceed and whether you've done the pre-reqs or not

You posted the same basic message to like 6 users in 4 different threads.

The basic solution is you get As in your coursework.

The more complicated answer depends on your GPA numbers exactly as how to best proceed and whether you've done the pre-reqs or not

@robflanker Thanks for catching this. I will be better about it next time.

Just got an acceptance.

If anyone has any questions about my application process or interview, im happy to answer.

Just got an acceptance.

If anyone has any questions about my application process or interview, im happy to answer.

How long did they take to confirm your test scores? I submitted my application on the 15th and the "GRE scores still needed" prompt is still on the checklist.

I was told by the application coach to wait until tomorrow to contact the school again, but it's a bit of a concern right now.

Mine were verified within 3 days.

That said, I submitted ACT/SAT/GRE/MCAT.

They may not have cared about my GRE because I sent in an MCAT score.

Last edited:
Mine were verified within 3 days.

That said, I submitted ACT/SAT/GRE/MCAT.

They may not have cared about my GRE because I sent in an MCAT score.

That's weird, because I've submitted a DAT score. Oh well, I will contact them tomorrow - thanks for the response.

How was the interview?

Just got accepted to the SSP. Now to see how I'm going to afford this. Going to have to relocate from sunny San Diego..

hi goriku and others who are wondering about expenses...

this program is eligible for direct subsidized and unsubsidized loans from the government. see SFS' policy here, http://www.sfs.upenn.edu/special-polices/policies-degree-status-lps.htm

also prices of courses, http://www.sas.upenn.edu/lps/postbacc/pre-health/tuition

you do need to apply for the FAFSA, and i am not sure if the deadline has passed yet for the fall semester of 2015.

hope this helps,
e

hi goriku and others who are wondering about expenses...

this program is eligible for direct subsidized and unsubsidized loans from the government. see SFS' policy here, http://www.sfs.upenn.edu/special-polices/policies-degree-status-lps.htm

also prices of courses, http://www.sas.upenn.edu/lps/postbacc/pre-health/tuition

you do need to apply for the FAFSA, and i am not sure if the deadline has passed yet for the fall semester of 2015.

hope this helps,
e

Because the program is non degree seeking, you can only get up to $12,500 of unsubsidized loans for one year. I ended up having to pull another 33k in private student loans in order to pay for everything.

@eeeeems Are you looking for a roommate or do you know anyone looking for a roommate by chance? I really want to find a roommate who is in the same program as I am.

Can anyone comment on how doable taking 4CU of classes and studying for the MCAT in January 2016 or April 2016 is? I really want to apply to med school next year, right after I finish the program. This would be a retake, but last time I took the MCAT it was still in the old format... :/

That's weird, because I've submitted a DAT score. Oh well, I will contact them tomorrow - thanks for the response.

How was the interview?

The interview was fairly brief, with Dr. Wittmer.

Why isn't your GPA as high as you want it, why medical school, what makes a good doctor, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I plan on applying to SSP next year. Does anyone know if you can apply for the summer session (in my case summer 2016) but differ to the fall session (in my case fall 2016).

Basically, I would like to get the process started sooner rather than later.

Thanks

making my first post on SDN :)

just got in today for SSP and really excited about it! applied with ~ 3.5 cGPA and ~3.45 sGPA with a 29 mcat (retaking this August). now deciding between Tufts MBS and this program!

with 12 credits in SSP at 3.7 avg I would boost my GPA to about 3.6 and 3.55 sGPA. Definitely need to boost my research experience (none so far) and get a little more clinical experience regardless of which program I decide. would love any advice!

I interviewed Friday and am waiting to find out if accepted... But if I do I will need someone to study mcat with :)

I interviewed Friday and am waiting to find out if accepted... But if I do I will need someone to study mcat with :)
@CHoge25 PM me if you get accepted and decide to attend. I'm shooting to take it in January and want to start studying for it when the program begins

is the advanced certificate for specialized studies students that beneficial? or is it just kind of meaningless? Deciding whether I should take 3 or 4 courses this Fall while doing research / volunteering on the side

is the advanced certificate for specialized studies students that beneficial? or is it just kind of meaningless? Deciding whether I should take 3 or 4 courses this Fall while doing research / volunteering on the side
I think I remember the counselor saying that you need the advanced certificate in order to get a committee letter from them.

it was meaningless for me. but i got my committee letter from my undergrad

Is anybody else going for dental school? I know the program is much more heavily medical school-hopeful centric, but just curious.

Is anybody else going for dental school? I know the program is much more heavily medical school-hopeful centric, but just curious.

I am finishing up the program this semester and know a buddy of mine who is in it for Dental. It isn't too bad and there are definitely dental specific options for you when it comes to volunteering etc if you are interested. Same goes for pre-vet people!

I think I remember the counselor saying that you need the advanced certificate in order to get a committee letter from them.

False. You just need a certificate and have a GPA higher than 3.5 along with a 30+ MCAT which is about a 505/6/7 on the new one I believe.

Oh and you need to finish the program within 2 semesters or 2 semesters + summer to get the committee letter for the next immediate app cycle... so for you it would be the 2017 cycle.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on how doable taking 4CU of classes and studying for the MCAT in January 2016 or April 2016 is? I really want to apply to med school next year, right after I finish the program. This would be a retake, but last time I took the MCAT it was still in the old format... :/

Don't do it. Many of these courses require week to week presentations/papers that absorb so much time it's ridiculous.

Take the MCAT in May or June. That isn't late by any measure. Hell even July puts you firmly on time if your apps are already verified.

Hey team, just got my acceptance to the Specialized Studies Program today (4/27)! Finished my application 3/4, interviewed 4/13.

3.38 cGPA / 3.18 sGPA / 32 MCAT
Strong shadowing/volunteering/research.

As of now it looks as though I will be graduating with a 3.47 cGPA and a 3.24 sGPA. Based off these numbers, I'm beginning to lean more towards a program such as UPenn rather than an SMP given that if I rock it I will be able to push my cGPA over 3.5 and my sGPA over 3.4.

Do any of the alums of the program have any commentary on how difficult it was to perform research during the program? I know that the classes are all in the evening, but did the heaviness of the course load make it a challenge to do good research simultaneously? I'm hoping to do some research with or tangental to UPenn's rad onc department.

It is not that difficult, but it highly depends on the classes you end up in. Some are a lot easier when it comes to day to day things compared to others.

Here's my attempt at an unbiased opinion from my personal experience in Penn's Core Studies Program:

1) When I started, everyone wanted to link. Most people wanted to link to Penn Med. After just two semesters, I only know one person that wanted to link to Penn Med. Most people also no longer qualify to link because their GPAs have fallen so much as a result of being in Penn's Post-Bac Program.

2) Of the ~100 people in the program, I only knew one person that successfully linked. Doesn't mean there weren't more, but I talked to everyone I could and I only found out about the one.

3) Professors are told that only 20% of the class can get As. So, they make the exams so difficult that the average is a D or F (sometimes a C) and then curve. If you can't afford tutoring, you'll probably end up in the B range.

4) They offer free tutoring, but it's limited to two hours a week. Private tutoring starts at $20/hour.

5) The advisors take a VERY hands-off approach. So hands-off, in fact, that they don't even answer some emails you send them. Be prepared to figure almost everything out on your own.

6) It is more important to have a good GPA from any school than to get a low GPA from a good school. I've confirmed this with: Enrollment advisors (from other schools), the advisors at Penn, Med Students, and Doctors. My GPA has fallen drastically as a result of being at Penn and it was ~3.85 before starting this program.

7) Because of the curving, a little more than half of your classmates will compete with you and will NOT help you succeed (because they want you to do poorly so they can do better). So, expect that. There are awesome people in this program that WILL help, you just have to weed through and find them.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Could you please comment more about the difficulty of getting As in the core program? I'm trying to decide between staying an extra year at my undergrad or going into a more structured post-bacc program. I still have five pre-med reqs to fulfill but as of right now have a 3.94 sGPA, 3.91 BCPM and around 3.8 cGPA. I would like to take the next step towards medical school by entering a program like Penns but would chose to stay where I am if it likely meant a drastic drop in GPA.

If it helps, I've done my math and science courses at a top 30 and top 50 school (I transferred closer to home after taking time off from school due to illness).

Are the majority of the students coming from top schools? Do you by chance know the approximate SAT score of students in the core program? You said the drop in GPA is not worth the gain in prestige, but what about the opportunities for research, ECs... Is it possible to research and volunteer with the course load?

As you've already gone through this program, I would greatly appreciate any insight you could give me.

Thanks a ton
Tugg

For the pre-med post bac is the GRE required for the application?
I dont know why the GRE would be required if the programs purpose is to prepare people for medical school, which would require the MCAT...but my Checklist says "GRE Status: needed"

how terrible would a W look for one of my classes this first semester? I fell behind a little bit in one of my classes studying for the 9/23 MCAT, but am doing well in the other 2 classes I am in (on track for A's). I also recently just started a research position here so I am worried I will just fall farther behind in this course and the professor and I don't really mesh too well. There's a slight chance I could get a B, currently sitting at a C grade, but the professor didn't sound too hopeful about it :cryi:. This would be my first W on my entire transcript and I came in as a specialized studies student w/ a 3.487 GPA from a top 20 undergrad.

has anyone had a interview and was NOT accepted? if so, how would you do your interview differently?

I'm interested in applying to the SSP next year; I haven't had room to take upper-level science courses in undergrad, and I'd like to bump up my science GPA. In terms of ECs, I'm lacking in the research department. Are there a lot of opportunities through the program, or around Philly? Assuming that I'd take 4 c.u's at Penn, would I have enough time for research?

I'm interested in applying to the SSP next year; I haven't had room to take upper-level science courses in undergrad, and I'd like to bump up my science GPA. In terms of ECs, I'm lacking in the research department. Are there a lot of opportunities through the program, or around Philly? Assuming that I'd take 4 c.u's at Penn, would I have enough time for research?

I'm in the program right now. There are a ton of research and volunteer opportunities, so don't worry about that. Taking 4 cu's at Penn plus extracurriculars is definitely doable, but brace yourself for a really really busy semester. A lot of students take 3 cu's in the fall and spring semester, then take 2 cu's in the summer to satisfy the 8cu requirement for the certificate. This makes doing other extracurriculars more manageable.

I'm in the program right now. There are a ton of research and volunteer opportunities, so don't worry about that. Taking 4 cu's at Penn plus extracurriculars is definitely doable, but brace yourself for a really really busy semester. A lot of students take 3 cu's in the fall and spring semester, then take 2 cu's in the summer to satisfy the 8cu requirement for the certificate. This makes doing other extracurriculars more manageable.
Thanks for replying. I'll probably do what you've suggested and spread out my coursework so I won't be overwhelmed. A few questons if you don't mind me asking: What do you think of the program so far? What do you like and dislike about it? Any advice about applying?

What is the interview like? i have mine this upcoming Friday and trying to prep. Does upenn charge an admissions fee if accepted?

Okay I have been looking through the forum, but I didn't find anybody quite exactly in my situation (of course it is highly likely that I missed what I was looking for... but there's 34 pages for pete's sake!).

I am a senior at a western university that does NOT crank out very many pre-meds (maybe 30-35ish every year that apply to med school; their main area of expertise is agriculture and ecology). I will graduate with a ~3.6 cumulative GPA, about a 3.5 science, and I earned a 512 on the MCAT-2015 (33ish on the old exam?). I also have what I consider to be fairly good extracurriculars. I applied to medical school this year, and I have been very fortunate to have been invited a couple of interviews, but I am highly interested in having a really solid back-up plan. I am interested in attending a good-quality medical school (so far, I have only enjoyed one of the two schools that I have interviewed at; the other school seemed a little dodgy and unprofessional). My main interests in applying to the Penn post-bac program would be to help increase my extracurriculars, as well as take some more upper-division courses. Another main focus of mine is that I would like to be a part of an interesting and engaging lab/research experience. I participated in research last year for two semesters @ 7-10 hours a week, but it was in an irrelevant field of study and I played a pretty passive role. I don't even know if anything was published, as I was let go when the project ran out of funds. I have yet to find a decent medical-related research project at the college; as the school is in a fairly small city, there aren't a ton of opportunities for relevant research.

Is the UPenn post-bac program good for someone in my shoes? I know that this may sound bad, but hypothetically if I only get the one acceptance to the school that I did not feel was a good fit for me, I would rather do a post-bac at a reputable school and increase my chances of going somewhere a little more put-together and professional than go somewhere that I knew that I didn't enjoy (and wasn't even in my top-five choices). I am not trying at all to sound arrogant, I am just genuinely interested in the program, and I would like to know if I would be a good candidate for the post-bac program. Thank you for being patient with me; I am new to the forums here! This is actually my first post!! I wish everyone here the best.

also, what is the total tuition for two semesters' worth of classes?

Okay I have been looking through the forum, but I didn't find anybody quite exactly in my situation (of course it is highly likely that I missed what I was looking for... but there's 34 pages for pete's sake!).

I am a senior at a western university that does NOT crank out very many pre-meds (maybe 30-35ish every year that apply to med school; their main area of expertise is agriculture and ecology). I will graduate with a ~3.6 cumulative GPA, about a 3.5 science, and I earned a 512 on the MCAT-2015 (33ish on the old exam?). I also have what I consider to be fairly good extracurriculars. I applied to medical school this year, and I have been very fortunate to have been invited a couple of interviews, but I am highly interested in having a really solid back-up plan. I am interested in attending a good-quality medical school (so far, I have only enjoyed one of the two schools that I have interviewed at; the other school seemed a little dodgy and unprofessional). My main interests in applying to the Penn post-bac program would be to help increase my extracurriculars, as well as take some more upper-division courses. Another main focus of mine is that I would like to be a part of an interesting and engaging lab/research experience. I participated in research last year for two semesters @ 7-10 hours a week, but it was in an irrelevant field of study and I played a pretty passive role. I don't even know if anything was published, as I was let go when the project ran out of funds. I have yet to find a decent medical-related research project at the college; as the school is in a fairly small city, there aren't a ton of opportunities for relevant research.

Is the UPenn post-bac program good for someone in my shoes? I know that this may sound bad, but hypothetically if I only get the one acceptance to the school that I did not feel was a good fit for me, I would rather do a post-bac at a reputable school and increase my chances of going somewhere a little more put-together and professional than go somewhere that I knew that I didn't enjoy (and wasn't even in my top-five choices). I am not trying at all to sound arrogant, I am just genuinely interested in the program, and I would like to know if I would be a good candidate for the post-bac program. Thank you for being patient with me; I am new to the forums here! This is actually my first post!! I wish everyone here the best.

The Penn bost-bac may be a good fit for you... You can take challenging classes that interest you (do well and hopefully boost your GPA). The best part about this program is all that is available at Penn. Tons of research (bench and clinical) as well as other opportunities. From your situation this may sound like a good fit, but you will be pushing your medical school back two cycles (assuming you finish the Post-bacc and apply the following spring).

You would be spending probably about 30k not including daily necessities

The Penn bost-bac may be a good fit for you... You can take challenging classes that interest you (do well and hopefully boost your GPA). The best part about this program is all that is available at Penn. Tons of research (bench and clinical) as well as other opportunities. From your situation this may sound like a good fit, but you will be pushing your medical school back two cycles (assuming you finish the Post-bacc and apply the following spring).

You would be spending probably about 30k not including daily necessities

Also, do they require you to retake the MCAT? While a 512 isn't the best score, it's also right around the 90th percentile. I would prefer to not retake it. Also, for anyone who has "cross-shopped" other post bac programs (i.e., Harvard Extension, etc), what made you choose Penn?

(Deleted user)
Should you only be accepted to this 'less-than-put-together' medical school, be absolutely sure that you cannot achieve the career trajectory that you're looking for at this program before turning it down. Great grades are not a guaranteed thing at Penn (or any other post-bacc program at the big name universities for that matter), and an acceptance at a 'more acceptable' program is similarly not guaranteed (especially when you will need to mark down that you're a reapplicant with a prior acceptance). Just my thoughts. Good luck with your current cycle and with whichever path you choose.

Good point. Thank you guys for your help! I really do appreciate it. Playing the medical school game is a tricky beast... but it helps that when I have a question that people are willing to be kind and help me out. I'll pay it forward :)

How are the classes? are people usually pretty open to studying together or more of a cut throat attitude?

Also, do they require you to retake the MCAT? While a 512 isn't the best score, it's also right around the 90th percentile. I would prefer to not retake it. Also, for anyone who has "cross-shopped" other post bac programs (i.e., Harvard Extension, etc), what made you choose Penn?

No you do not need to retake the MCAT... and to be honest I did not decide to take the Post-Bac route until the end of May, and by that time Penn's July 1st deadline was the only one I could make...But I am glad I did.. Great school with a ton of opportunities to gain experience in a wide variety of research.. I am currently taking classes, working in a biomedical research lab and also volunteering on a clinical research project in my "free time".. These were all opportunities that I did not get in my undergraduate institution that will help bolster my resume before applying to medical school. I have learned a lot and it has been a good experience overall.

How are the classes? are people usually pretty open to studying together or more of a cut throat attitude?

I have taken two classes and I enjoyed them both. They are definitely difficult classes but it is possible to get good grades if you put in the work. Just like in any school, talk to students and try to avoid some teachers who never seem to give out good grades.

Hi all! I am finally stepping out of the lurking hideout.
My application for SS was marked complete on 3/8/16, but I still haven't received any notice for an interview or rejection.
A lot of you in this forum seem to have gotten an interview from a couple days after application was marked complete to a week.

I know it's only been 10 days, but I'm wondering if this means I'm leaning more towards rejection?

I'm so nervous because this is my top choice program. I also applied to PCOM, was reluctant to apply to more programs for financial reasons but am now wondering if I should quickly look into other programs before it's too late.

Update: Just saw that a couple ppl didn't get an interview invite until 15 days later or even a month. Whew! That's really relieving. I'm just wishing for the best! These nerves are no joke.

My application was complete on a Friday and I received invitation for interview on the Monday right after, however I think as time goes by the get more applications and it takes longer. What are your stats if you dont mind me asking? @j9260

My application was complete on a Friday and I received invitation for interview on the Monday right after, however I think as time goes by the get more applications and it takes longer. What are your stats if you dont mind me asking? @j9260

3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, didn't do hot on the MCATs (low 20s twice in 2012 and a 23 in early 2015) - plan: strengthen sciences in post-bacc and not take the real exam until I score consistently above 510 on practices)...

I think my essays were strong because I reflected how much I want to work in medicine and how I've improved since undergrad and the latest MCAT exam I took. Strong shadowing, strong EC's, and am an active EMT.

I am worried my MCAT scores are holding me back...but I'm trying not to lose hope.

3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, didn't do hot on the MCATs (low 20s twice in 2012 and a 23 in early 2015) - plan: strengthen sciences in post-bacc and not take the real exam until I score consistently above 510 on practices)...

I think my essays were strong because I reflected how much I want to work in medicine and how I've improved since undergrad and the latest MCAT exam I took. Strong shadowing, strong EC's, and am an active EMT.

I am worried my MCAT scores are holding me back...but I'm trying not to lose hope.

Do you have good SAT scores to send?

Honestly, I think you'll be fine. my GPA was lower and I used my SAT scores which was only 1740.

Do you have good SAT scores to send?

Honestly, I think you'll be fine. my GPA was lower and I used my SAT scores which was only 1740.
I did well on the SATs and ACTs, but have no idea how to access them. Despite my application already being marked complete, do you think I should find and send them in to Penn separately?

Thanks a bunch for the reply! I appreciate it. It's really reassuring and helping with the nerves. Haha