upenn/uchicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uiuckid

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

I am trying to pick between UChicago (Pritzker) and UPenn for next year. Anyone have any insights on those schools? Dealing with a similar dillema? Any and all advice is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Both are fantastic schools. UPenn has a clear edge in the "rankings". I'd say the neighborhoods are probably equally mediocre. Kind of a gut feeling choice if you ask me.

I would go to U Penn too, it has a much better reputation.

Members don't see this ad :)
can we assume from your user name that you are already at UC for undergrad? If so - would you rather explore or are you a stay at home type?

If its rep you're going for, Penn is the way to go, hospital facilities are probably on par, so it might just come down to social issues for you - what city would you rather be in?

Actaully, it looks like he is from U of I at Urbana-Champaign. This is a far cry from Chicago (but at least in the same state). Anyway, both schools have similar curriculums and time spent in class, and excellent hospitals. UChicago hospitals are ranked among the best hospitals in the country, but Penn's are slightly better and in a couple more specialties according to US News (take that as you will). UChicago is top for cancer, endocrinology, and digestive disorders, and Penn is top for neurology and ear nose& throat, cancer, and digestive disorders. They just seem so similar in so many measurable ways Kim is right--you should consider social factors like location and go where you'll be happy.

Toss a coin. You can't lose.

Originally posted by gel1:
•Actaully, it looks like he is from U of I at Urbana-Champaign. This is a far cry from Chicago (but at least in the same state). •

yeah - you're right. On first glance I thought his name was UIC not UIUC! Thanks for pointing it out. :)

"UIC" would also not be the University of Chicago, Kimberli, it would be the University of Illinois at Chicago. University of Chicago is U of C or UC. :D

Originally posted by Colorado_2:
•"UIC" would also not be the University of Chicago, Kimberli, it would be the University of Illinois at Chicago. University of Chicago is U of C or UC. :D

Doh!!!! <backs out of the discussion slowly, hanging head in shame>

:(

Just go where your gut feeling is...just feel grateful you got accepted. When schools are so evenly matched it's so annoying to see people nit-pick...the prestige won't amt too much if you're not happy with atmosphere to begin with.