uploading picture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harmnot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had just sent CAF this morning but won't be able to upload the picture till late this afternoon. And because it takes a day for my picture to be uploaded will that be a problem if the programs upload my application without the picture right away?

Members don't see this ad.

I had just sent CAF this morning but won't be able to upload the picture till late this afternoon. And because it takes a day for my picture to be uploaded will that be a problem if the programs upload my application without the picture right away?

It won't be a problem. Programs aren't supposed to look at the photo until after they offer an interview, anyway.

It won't be a problem. Programs aren't supposed to look at the photo until after they offer an interview, anyway.

Is this voluntary or a policy?

I won't even have a picture associated with my app until after the 3rd week of September. It's the only date I could sit for the school's pictures and they only let us use their official head shots. :(

Is this voluntary or a policy?

My understanding was that it is a policy employed as a failsafe against discrimantory screening in tthe selection process. ERAS is set up so that we can't see the photo of the applicant until after we select "Invited for interview" on the status bar.

My understanding was that it is a policy employed as a failsafe against discrimantory screening in tthe selection process. ERAS is set up so that we can't see the photo of the applicant until after we select "Invited for interview" on the status bar.

Maybe I am not understanding this but many of the programs that I have applied to have downloaded my photo but I have not heard anything yet since 9/3 when I applied. Are you saying that programs can download but not able to see my photo?

It might be a state policy or just policy of that particular program

ERAS PDWS does allow to screen photographs, among other things...

8.2 Utilizing Data Filters
The ERAS Data Filter allows you to screen sensitive information from view during the application evaluation process.
You may screen Birth Date, Birth Place, Citizenship, Limitations, Felony Conviction, Gender, Photograph, Race/Ethnicity, Social Security Number, and Visa Status.
Programs can make their own decisions regarding which items to screen and which to view. When the software is first installed, the default is to screen all these data items. Consult with your institution‘s legal staff to determine the best policy for screening data at your program.

http://www.aamc.org/programs/eras/programs/techsupport/downloads/2010pdwsresidency.pdf

Last edited:

ERAS PDWS does allow to screen by photographs

8.2 Utilizing Data Filters
The ERAS Data Filter allows you to screen sensitive information from view during the application evaluation process.
You may screen Birth Date, Birth Place, Citizenship, Limitations, Felony Conviction, Gender, Photograph, Race/Ethnicity, Social Security Number, and Visa Status.
Programs can make their own decisions regarding which items to screen and which to view. When the software is first installed, the default is to screen all these data items. Consult with your institution‘s legal staff to determine the best policy for screening data at your program.

http://www.aamc.org/programs/eras/programs/techsupport/downloads/2010pdwsresidency.pdf

Well, some are just fine, don't want geezers in the program, want US citizens, and don't want to deal with VISA issues. If you can't get a SSN, get out of my ER... But, the rest (i.e race, gender) what a shame...

Well, some are just fine, don't want geezers in the program, want US citizens, and don't want to deal with VISA issues. If you can't get a SSN, get out of my ER... But, the rest (i.e race, gender) what a shame...

what do you consider to be a geezer? I'm a non-traditional student and would hate if someone screened me right out simply because I was born before 1980.

what do you consider to be a geezer? I'm a non-traditional student and would hate if someone screened me right out simply because I was born before 1980.

Well, there is a life span for a doctor... Can't train old geezers instead of young fresh ones and keep our healthcare vibrant and adaptive...

Well, there is a life span for a doctor... Can't train old geezers instead of young fresh ones and keep our healthcare vibrant and adaptive...

haha, can't wait till u share that opinion with the ol' geezer PD, :claps:
I did go to medschool with one guy that was old enough to get a screening C-scope, that bugger had more energy in him than I did, I think he was manic tho...

Federal hiring guidelines stipulate that you cannot discriminate against an applicant based on factors such as gender, race, nationality, age, etc. -- all factors most likely to be named in a discrimination lawsuit against a program. Therefore, wise programs screen this information on the application as well as the applicant's photo--it's downloaded but not visible until after interview decisions are made. At that point, programs adjust the screen parameters so they can view everything that has been downloaded. Programs can certainly fudge, or screen some things and not others. But screening the information (and ERAS keeps track of what is screened and when screening instructions change) can go a long way toward proving that illegal discrimination did not occur.

Federal hiring guidelines stipulate that you cannot discriminate against an applicant based on factors such as gender, race, nationality, age, etc. -- all factors most likely to be named in a discrimination lawsuit against a program. Therefore, wise programs screen this information on the application as well as the applicant's photo--it's downloaded but not visible until after interview decisions are made. At that point, programs adjust the screen parameters so they can view everything that has been downloaded. Programs can certainly fudge, or screen some things and not others. But screening the information (and ERAS keeps track of what is screened and when screening instructions change) can go a long way toward proving that illegal discrimination did not occur.

Everyone knows these laws... no need to mention them... PDs know how to pull it off just fine.