UPMC vs UW vs UTSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I know, all the regulars hate this time of year and posts like these but your input helps.

So obviously I have no true regional attachment. I know that they are all good programs that I will leave from well trained. Here are my desires, please advise on these programs:

No real weaknesses overall ( I want to be very well rounded), but definitely no weakness in ICU or regional.

Very good Cardiac as I'm thinking CT fellowship.

Good environment with camaraderie and teamwork, not borderline workhorse type program (not afraid of hard work but want a few hours per night for relaxation/recharging)

Open opportunities for Fellowship

Open opportunities for getting a job wherever I may wish when all is said and done.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had these 3 on my list too, I ended up ranking them like these:
1. UPMC categorical
3. U of Washington categorical
9. UT Southwestern

What did you decide?

Seattle>>>Dallas>>>>>>>Pittsburg.....

you get to spend a fair enough time outside the hospital.. might as well live somewhere that doesnt suck.

drccw

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at UW and UTSW and although they are both great programs, I would definitely rank UTSW above UW.

First off Dallas>>>>>>>>>>>>Seattle if you actually like sunlight and Dallas is a pretty cool city especially for Texas.

Second the chair and faculty I met at UTSW seemed much more supportive than at UW. I actually think the clinical experience at UTSW is just as good if not better than at UW. Also the didactic program seemed to be far superior at UTSW. I only met 3 residents on my interview day at UW (early Jan) and met many more at UTSW interview (late Jan) which, whether it matters or not, also influenced my opinion.

Overall, I think anyone would be lucky to train at either institutions but UTSW seems like a more resident friendly atmosphere with much better weather!

UTSW%20billboard-thumb-240x263-133375.jpg

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are you suggesting?

Nothing. I like Dallas. Seattle is nice too. You can't go wrong in any of these places. All offer great clinical training.

That said, what about networking for jobs and fellowship? Do you want to live in Texas after your servant years are over? Fond of the Northwest?

Seattle>>>Dallas>>>>>>>Pittsburg.....

you get to spend a fair enough time outside the hospital.. might as well live somewhere that doesnt suck.

drccw

None of these cities suck. Seattle has a temperate climate. Dallas is relativelly warm. Pittsburgh has cold winters but is a vibrant city with lots going on.

I'd take Dallas over Seattle but that's just me.;) I prefer the Texas gun laws and independent spirit. I'm a red State guy.

I had these 3 on my list too, I ended up ranking them like these:
1. UPMC categorical
3. U of Washington categorical
9. UT Southwestern

What did you decide?

Lol, figures this thread would get action after ROL time. For me I knew all 3 were great programs so it came down to general feel and location....

1. UTSW
2. UPMC
3. UW

I'm more a warm city kind of guy, although I liked Seattle's organic every neighborhood having its own personality thing and Pittsburgh actually surprised me as a city for me best mix of training, feel, and city was UTSW.

Lol, figures this thread would get action after ROL time. For me I knew all 3 were great programs so it came down to general feel and location....

1. UTSW
2. UPMC
3. UW

I'm more a warm city kind of guy, although I liked Seattle's organic every neighborhood having its own personality thing and Pittsburgh actually surprised me as a city for me best mix of training, feel, and city was UTSW.

Honestly, I'll be happy with any of these 3. I am from Texas and did an away rotation at UTSW. I thought the program was good (it is my top Texas program), but I think UPMC is more resident friendly, has more research opportunities, and stronger in two things I am interested in: regional and pediatrics. Seattle is my favorite cities out of the three, but the program didn't impress me as much as UPMC did, I would still be very excited to go there though. Anyway, good luck to you!