Upper-level biology classes/advice for last semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skittsie13

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm about to register for my last semester of undergrad and I have basically nothing left to take. I've finished my major, minor, gen eds, and all prereqs. I'm pretty tempted to register for a bunch of blowoff classes and focus on my research and volunteering, but I'm concerned this will look bad to med schools? I'm studying abroad this semester so even though I'm not taking blowoffs (comp sci, chemistry, etc.) since it's all pass/fail, it essentially is... I'm concerned that adcom will look at my senior year and penalize me for taking it easy. My junior year was hell (took analytical/thermo and then quantum/biochem together) so that I could fit in study abroad but I'm not sure what adcoms will think of my easy senior year.

I'm from TX so we need four biology classes to apply, which I've fulfilled with AP credit for intro bio, cell biology, genetics, and biochemistry, which with the exception of biochem were all taken freshman/sophomore year. Do I need to take an upper-level biology class next semester to prove academic rigor/that I still know biology? I'm aiming for top schools.

Members don't see this ad.

After dragging yourself through hell and back, you deserve a glimpse at the light at the end of the tunnel. Focus on your ECs and turn down Easy Street this semester. This is your home stretch!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm a Biochemistry major, so I've taken plenty of science courses, but I'm done with my major after this semester and have a lot of freedom about what I take in the spring. Are there any classes that would be especially helpful to take going into med school? I've already been accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm a Biochemistry major, so I've taken plenty of science courses, but I'm done with my major after this semester and have a lot of freedom about what I take in the spring. Are there any classes that would be especially helpful to take going into med school? I've already been accepted.
Congrats on your acceptance!! I'm taking a gap year so I think our situations are kind of different. In your shoes, I would say your biochem major has probably covered anything that's helpful enough to warrant giving up an easy senior spring with an acceptance in hand.

@Glazedonutlove, I've got a full-ride scholarship so I'm not really gaining anything by graduating early. I could have graduated in 3 years but instead I decided to study abroad and take fun/easy classes with my senior year.

Why don't you graduate early
I don't have enough credits to yet. :p I didn't bring in any credits from high school and I've only taken normal-sized course loads. I ended up deciding to take some literature, foreign language, and history courses that sounded interesting, plus a seminar on Neuroscience. I'm so pumped! :)

You won't get penalised for "taking it easy," just finish up the year nicely, and don't let your grades drop in the easy classes. You'll be fine.