Upward Trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidwestLovin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a student with a 3.4 consistently through college the same as a person who has a 3.4 with a large upward trend (2.5 first two years then pretty much solid As)?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, the upward trend is viewed more favorably -- adcoms can use this as a justification for accepting you despite a slightly lower-than-average GPA. However, if you have multiple sub-par grades in multiple core courses (ie: C's in Orgo, Biochem), that can be very detrimental and raise questions about your ability to handle a rigorous medical school curriculum.

I actually had a slight parabolic trend (upward and then downward), and I'm still in medical school! In the end, there are just so many other factors in an application, I wouldn't fret about a specific detail. Try as hard as you can now, and don't look back! Good luck. :luck:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you just have to look at what the two stories tell you.

The upward trender started off really poorly, learned their lesson, and started performing much better (must have been 3.8+ to get it up to where it is). That person is capable of self-assessment, adjustment, and good performance.

The person who stays at 3.4 is either unable to judge their performance, indifferent to their performance, or unable to perform better. Not that a 3.4 is bad, but you see how the two differ.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I just need to stop feeling sorry for myself and hit the books. :D