Upward Trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosiespot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How strongly are upward trends considered? I wasn't focused my freshman year (wasn't even considering medicine) and royally screwed up my GPA. I also hit a snag when taking organic chem, and received a B- for both semesters. (I'm planning on retaking both orgo I and II.)

Anyway, besides orgo, I'm a straight A student. I just finished my sophomore year, and brought my GPA up from 3.00 to 3.35. I also do a lot of volunteer work, was recently elected president of a service club, work as a chem and bio TA, and have strong ECs. I'm also planning on working part time as an EMT, starting in the fall.

All that being said, I don't think I'll be able to graduate with anything higher than a 3.5 or 3.6. :/ Is there anything else I can do to strengthen my application? Should I consider taking a gap year?

I truly feel called to medicine, and particularly want to serve low income areas/do missions work... But I'm not sure how to overcome my low GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

There's really nothing you can do from here except look forward and work on yourself. Only you can decide if you should take a gap year. In terms of GPA, of course everyone on here will say a lower GPA is worse than a higher GPA. That's to be expected. But if you must have a lower GPA, one with a strong upward trend is looked upon more favorably than the opposite.

I also don't think you have to retake Orgo with a B-. Try upper level chemistry classes to show that you can do chemistry. Or even an advanced organic chemistry class if you think the B-'s were more due to circumstance than your ability.

In terms of your application, it would be essential to have a high MCAT score because that is the one thing that can level the playing field and show med schools that you can, in fact, do science.