Upward trend...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiogirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I had a question about my upward trend. I'm currently a junior (credit wise) getting ~3.7 every quarter for the past few quarters. My freshman year I did not take my classes seriously...which seriously hurt me. I got 2 Cs and a B in my freshman BIO classes. I got all Cs for freshman Chemistry. But Sophomore year I got 2 Bs and an A in physics and all As in O CHEM. My GPA is currently 3.17. I'm not applying until next year, so that will give me time to raise it up. As for my upper level biology classes I am now getting mostly As. I was wondering if medical schools will look down on the Cs in freshman CHEM and BIO or if they will look past that and see my upward trend and As in Physiology and Biochemistry. I will be taking the MCAT next year, so I know that is also an important factor to consider. Thanks so much everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Ideally they would like to see As and Bs in those Freshman coureses, but the upward trend will help you

Unfortunately a 3.17 is mighty low...

I know it's low. By the end of this quarter I should have it up to a 3.2. I'm taking summer classes and still have 4 quarters or so to try to raise it higher. I know I'm at a disadvantage in that retrospect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Upward trend is more of a tool used AFTER you made the GPA/MCAT/PS cut, I would guess. Almost everyone has an upward trend who is serious about going to medical school. Don't bank on it overcoming your low GPA, it probably won't.

Consider a post-bacc, a SMP, or DO schools.

Shes only a sophomore...you have two more years...I would shoot for getting the GPA to 3.4 or greater and then with that upward trend...you should be in decent shape if everything else is good

Hey everyone! I had a question about my upward trend. I'm currently a junior getting ~3.7 every quarter for the past few quarters. My freshman year I did not take my classes seriously...which seriously hurt me. I got 2 Cs and a B in my freshman BIO classes. I got all Cs for freshman Chemistry. But Sophomore year I got 2 Bs and an A in physics and all As in O CHEM. My GPA is currently 3.17. I'm not applying until next year, so that will give me time to raise it up. As for my upper level biology classes I am now getting mostly As. I was wondering if medical schools will look down on the Cs in freshman CHEM and BIO or if they will look past that and see my upward trend and As in Physiology and Biochemistry. I will be taking the MCAT next year, so I know that is also an important factor to consider. Thanks so much everyone!

However, I agree with the overall point, she should get a minor or something and take another year or so.

I have decided to do the 5 year plan. I'm currently a junior, but when it comes to applying to med school I'm a "sophomore". So i still have all of next year and then 2 quarters or so until I graduate undergrad. If i continue to get mostly As i should have around a 3.4 when applying.

I have decided to do the 5 year plan. I'm currently a junior, but when it comes to applying to med school I'm a "sophomore". So i still have all of next year and then 2 quarters or so until I graduate undergrad. If i continue to get mostly As i should have around a 3.4 when applying.
is that a pile of Dung in your avatar?

no, it's from my trip to Italy. It's the steps Julius Caesar was murdered on.

haha, it does sort of look like it. I'll change it to a much better picture!