upward trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luke587

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple basic questions. Is it more impressive to go from a 3.5 to a 3.8 or just maintain the 3.8? For instance would a medical school give me more consideration if i started out freshman year with a 3.5 but improved each semester like 3.8+, or are they just going to look at my final gpa when its all said and done? Also I've taken 8-12 credit hours each summer to help complete a second major, and for some reason do well in the summer (4.0 each summer) will they factor this in as well? Thanks for your time!!

Members don't see this ad.

In general, the most recent coursework is considered to be most indicative of one's academic ability. Some schools give less weight to freshman grades, some give more weight to the last few years, and a few throw out a bad semester all together. There are others that judge you by overall academic performance without any weighting. Unfortunately, it is rare for a school to advertise their "formula," thus the common wisdom to "apply broadly."

Summer grades will be factored in as well. Note that AMCAS lists grades year-by-year and trends would likely be appreciated from that data, rather than individual terms, which are not averaged.

Upward trend is very important. I went from like a 2.5 freshman to 2.8 sophomore to 3.9 junior to 4.0 senior. My cumulative GPA ended up being something like 2.96, then I went on to do a graduate program (3.9gpa) and got a 32 on my MCAT. I had underlying medical problems freshman and sophomore year, but I would say that medical schools have been very receptive. Three interviews and one acceptance so far!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
3.8 > 3.65 > 3.5

bottom line: med schools like to see As. upward trend helps, but won't compensate completely.

An upward trend is nice, but starting out with solid grades and maintaining is ALWAYS better.