UQ-Ochsner 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had a month to accept my offer (accepting the offer requires making the ~$10,000 deposit) but it is entirely refundable sans a $1000 surcharge up until 21 days before class starts when it increases to a $3000 surcharge. You can read this all on the UQ website.

LOL! It's not $10K, a $3000 seat deposit and ~$2500 OHSA health insurance fee. The health insurance is fully refundable, and I believe $2000 of the $3000 seat deposit is refundable. So about $5500 deposit but most of it is refundable.

But it doesn't really matter since aussie classes start in Jan, so you have to know if you're going for sure round Nov./end of November absolute latest. End of November you're not likely to have an option to an American med school, around this time people are still flying around for interviews in general. So yea, you make the deposit, and most of it's refundable but realistically you are not going to have a choice for an American MD since most students are still waiting for an offer around the time you have to commit to Australia

Members don't see this ad.

1. I'm planning on applying to this program, does anyone know what the acceptance rate is? How much of a chance do I have of getting accepted if I meet the minimum requirement?

2. Also, when would be the best time to submit my application? is there a preference for those who submit earlier in the cycle vs later like it is in US medical schools?

The UQ MBBS program deposit amount for internationals is ~$10,000. Perhaps the Ochsner deposit amount is different. Regardless, the numbers I quoted for the refundable portion of the deposit apply to both the normal stream and Ochsner stream and are readily viewable on the UQ website.
Okay I've read reports on multiple sites, some of which say the deposit is 10G, some say 3G, I wish I had 10G laying around, but I just can't afford that...Can anyone that's gone through the acceptance process clarify please?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've gone through the acceptance process myself a couple of months ago:

The fees for the Ochsner cohort is different: the deposit is $3,000 USD and there is the additional~$2500 AUD fee for health insurance (this varies depending on whether you choose the school's health insurance or another approved provider) -http://www.mededpath.org/admissions.html

1. I'm planning on applying to this program, does anyone know what the acceptance rate is? How much of a chance do I have of getting accepted if I meet the minimum requirement?

2. Also, when would be the best time to submit my application? is there a preference for those who submit earlier in the cycle vs later like it is in US medical schools?

I have never seen any acceptance rate stats for this program. From my understanding they accept students who meet their academic requirements as they apply. So if you meet the requirements and apply as soon as the application becomes available you should have a high chance of acceptance.

I would also note that this is likely due to the low number of applicants and students matriculating, which is beginning to change. I believe they are looking for a class size of ~120 for the Ochsner program and have yet to reach this size for an incoming class. However they are now getting class sizes over 100 so it seems likely that the competition for seats in this program will increase in the upcoming years.

That's exactly right. They are sequentially decreasing the amount of Tulane and LSU students that will be rotating through as our number grow. They are also sending us to others of their many campuses for parts of rotations as well. Overall they will actually be able to handle more students than before and so the total number of students will increase, but it will not increase the total number of students by quite as much as our numbers.
Unless there is something new, LSU students don't get many rotations at Ochsner Main. When I was a 3rd year, the only rotation available at Ochsner Main was psychiatry. Most of the LSU students rotating at main campus are 4th years doing elective "away" rotations.

LSU does have an affiliation with Ochsner Kenner, though, and several rotations are done there. However, when the new University Medical Center opens in a few years (3-4?), I imagine the number of students rotating in Kenner will decrease as well.

oh come on man are you really equating 9/11 truthers with UFO believers! come on. Some of the physical evidence supporting controlled demolition is messed up man. Search YouTube videos WTC controlled demolition and look at the footage showing isolated explosions on lower floors while the building is in free fall. And camera footage with sounds of a series of 'BOOM boom boom boom" as firefighters rush out the other building. It's so messed up how as it falls you see an explosion floor by floor by floor and also separate explosions 20, 40 and 60 stories below the top mass in free fall. How could a structural failure cause such concisely timed explosions floor by floor and also project masses laterally at 120mph? Maybe you could explain one explosion saying the magnesium landing gear exploded or something, but such concise floor by floor explosions like in a controlled demolition is messed up. One of the explosions even skips a floor so as it falls you see a huge explosion with one floor above still intact, why would a floor spontaneously explode before the top mass fell on it? But still forgetting even the explosions near the airplane, why would floors 20, 40 and 60 stories below be exploding right as the building starts to fall?

blah blah blah sorry to derail but I only just found out about the evidence of isolated explosions just earlier this week and it very much piqued my interest.

I don't know if this is a Poe or not, but if it isn't it is bothersome to me that a medical professional (soon to be or otherwise) would get sucked into conspiracy theories. If you are serious about your thoughts, please read some good sources on conspiracy theory thought and specifically 9/11 truthers. I can assure you, 9/11 truthers are just as nutty as UFO and bigfoot believers.

I have never seen any acceptance rate stats for this program. From my understanding they accept students who meet their academic requirements as they apply. So if you meet the requirements and apply as soon as the application becomes available you should have a high chance of acceptance.

I would also note that this is likely due to the low number of applicants and students matriculating, which is beginning to change. I believe they are looking for a class size of ~120 for the Ochsner program and have yet to reach this size for an incoming class. However they are now getting class sizes over 100 so it seems likely that the competition for seats in this program will increase in the upcoming years.

This is correct. It is a rolling admissions and if you apply early with stats that are above the minimums you are likely to get in. I know for a fact that they have rejected people who have met minimum stats but barely. Furthermore, they are not individually rolling admissions - meaning that they take a batch of applications, send them all in to UQ at once, and then make decisions at that point. Since demand for spots was low initially and then as it increased so did spots, competition has certainly been less than fierce. The class size is now capped at ~120 and I imagine we will start seeing more competition for spots. I do not know for sure how they do it, but it stands to reason that they would take only the top X% from each batch as the season goes on, which would mean that competition would be relatively fixed throughout the year (from the supply side at least, one can speculate how demand side would vary depending on year vis-a-vis who is applying later vs earlier and why). Alternately there would be increasing competition as the year progresses as in the US standard. Either way, it is reasonable to expect competition to increase now that the intake is fixed and as the program gains in notoriety and popularity.

Unless there is something new, LSU students don't get many rotations at Ochsner Main. When I was a 3rd year, the only rotation available at Ochsner Main was psychiatry. Most of the LSU students rotating at main campus are 4th years doing elective "away" rotations.

LSU does have an affiliation with Ochsner Kenner, though, and several rotations are done there. However, when the new University Medical Center opens in a few years (3-4?), I imagine the number of students rotating in Kenner will decrease as well.

True, we do get a lot more Tulane than LSU students coming through. I do know that Tulane was less than pleased at their students being displaced by ours, even though Ochsner had asked them to enter into a contractual agreement about it and they refused. We also rotate out at Kenner and as our numbers increase so will those. Overall, I don't think it is so much about horning anyone out as it is about redistributing resources and training sites to accommodate needs from all parties involved. One thing is certain, however, that Ochsner will give us preference over others to ensure the quality of our clinical education for obvious reasons.

Would you mind clarifying this please? So you're saying that the increase of Ochsner students and the decrease of Tulane/LSU students will ultimately be a wash? Enkolo asked a question that I was about to ask. Your clinical experience sounds great. I just hope that the quality of the clinical experience doesn't dwindle as the cohort size increases. Thanks.

It isn't quite as simple as that, but for a close approximation, yes. Tulane and LSU want to expand their own capacity independently and because of what Ochsner has been doing. Ochsner also wants to expand for the same reasons and has been. Ultimately there will be a shift away from Tulane/LSU students at Ochsner and towards us there, but all institutions will be growing capacity and so it is likely that the shift away from Tulane/LSU will not be quite as pronounced as Ochsner's capacity continues to grow. Additionally some of that shift will be driven by LSU/Tulane's own increase in capacity rather than us horning them out, as was mentioned by DrJMD

GPA is only used as a hurdle at UQ, it is not used to rank applicants. Your admission as an international applicant is based 100% on your MCAT score.

I don't know for certain but this is likely true. The admission at UQ as a whole are based entirely on GAMSAT scores (the Aussie equivalent of the MCAT) so it is very likely that they use some semblance of this model for our applications as well.

LOL! It's not $10K, a $3000 seat deposit and ~$2500 OHSA health insurance fee. The health insurance is fully refundable, and I believe $2000 of the $3000 seat deposit is refundable. So about $5500 deposit but most of it is refundable.

But it doesn't really matter since aussie classes start in Jan, so you have to know if you're going for sure round Nov./end of November absolute latest. End of November you're not likely to have an option to an American med school, around this time people are still flying around for interviews in general. So yea, you make the deposit, and most of it's refundable but realistically you are not going to have a choice for an American MD since most students are still waiting for an offer around the time you have to commit to Australia

This is true (I don't know the exact numbers. I believe I paid around $3k deposit). One thing to bear in mind though is that you can actually still get yoru tuition back if you withdraw before the census date which is late enough that most people will have heard back from US schools by then. There has been at least one person each year who has started at UQ and then gotten an acceptance and withdrawn and come back stateside. You do lose your entire deposit and your Visa fees, but you do not lose any tuition and you get basically all of your health cover back, so ultimately you lose your deposit, Visa fees, and cost of moving/living until that point. Not ideal, and certainly not a trivial amount of money, but a potential back up option for some.

Members don't see this ad :)

As of now, if you meet the minimums but barely you may not be accepted. If you meet them with room to spare and apply early in the season it is very likely you will be accepted. It does seem to get more competitive as the year progresses, but as I said in a post above, I do not know exactly how that actually pans out. Ultimately, apply early and you should do fine as long as you aren't at or below minimums.

Please read through the resources I linked you to.

I do not buy into conspiracies or reject science. There is scientific evidence to support that controlled demolitions took down all 3 world trade centers that day. I always look at the other side to make sure I'm not just getting biased information. I believe the case for demolition is stronger than the fire theory based on scientific facts and laws of physics.

Btw, you're not going to find me supporting a sandy hook hoax, moon landing fake etc... 9/11 is the one thing I will be slightly suspicious about because thousands of demolition experts and architects have come out saying buildings don't fall like that from fire.

I will check out with this, enough derailing thread with stuff that should be in the sociopolitical forums.

Last edited:
I do not buy into conspiracies or reject science. There is scientific evidence to support that controlled demolitions took down all 3 world trade centers that day. I always look at the other side to make sure I'm not just getting biased information. I believe the case for demolition is stronger than the fire theory based on scientific facts and laws of physics.

Btw, you're not going to find me supporting a sandy hook hoax, moon landing fake etc... 9/11 is the one thing I will be slightly suspicious about because thousands of demolition experts and architects have come out saying buildings don't fall like that from fire.

I will check out with this, enough derailing thread with stuff that should be in the sociopolitical forums.

Firstly, thousands of people claim that blood letting and acupuncture work, but that doesn't make it so. Science and truth are not popularity contests. Secondly, you can find thousands of scientists who deny the veracity of evolution, it isn't about absolute numbers it is about consensus. And thirdly, peer reviewed literature has been published to demonstrate not only the consensus that it was quite well explained by fire, but exactly the mechanics and physical properties that led to it.

But even without all that, it simply doesn't pass the basic sniff test. People like yourself ignore the simple fact that it would take a conspiracy of unimaginable and completely impossible proportions to pull off what you are claiming is "slightly suspicious." The idea that something that big could have been pulled off by the government and it still hasn't definitively leaked out put way more credit on the function of our government (or any large complex system) than it deserves. Of all the other things that the government couldn't keep secret - even the freaking NSA tapping - somehow this one thing is such an incredibly well kept secret that all the highly implausible scenarios other than fire (which itself has been demonstrated many times to be an extremely viable explanation) make more sense.

Hence why it bothers me that someone on a medical forum would be espousing such ridiculous thought. Enough that yes, while I am currently keeping it going, you felt so strongly about it you needed to pipe up about it in the first place and then keep it going after I very briefly just linked you to reading. Instead of reading it and coming back later you just had to throw in your continued conspiracy theory bent.

I hope you manage to learn a lesson from it and insulate yourself from such lapses of critical thinking in the future.

I'm also not worried about derailing the thread since people can easily just read around this and continue to ask any questions they feel pertinent and I am happy to answer whichever ones I have the time and knowledge for.

I know someone who, two years ago, had applied in December with mediocre stats and got the acceptance late-December for commencement in January. UQ wants every dollar they can get, so if you've got a decent MCAT, you're pretty much guaranteed acceptance.

I know someone who, two years ago, had applied in December with mediocre stats and got the acceptance late-December for commencement in January. UQ wants every dollar they can get, so if you've got a decent MCAT, you're pretty much guaranteed acceptance.

How mediocre?

Medians are 29/3.4 I believe. But keep in mind Phloston is a disgruntled medical student unhappy with his decision to study medicine in Australia, he is generally making negative commentary about UQ on these forums.

I don't know about that, he seems to be pretty forthcoming and honest with his opinions on UQ and enjoying his time in Australia otherwise. He's not the first person to be dissatisfied with UQ though (as evidenced by this thread).

29/3.4 for UQ Ochsner or for UQ for the international students?

The only MCAT stats I've ever seen from UQ were those disclosed in a general international student information guide.

But I wouldn't be surprised if UQ-O, now that it's a few years underway, has now started to produce its own independent stats. My guess would be that the Ochsner stats are comparable to the other internationals'.

I don't know about that, he seems to be pretty forthcoming and honest with his opinions on UQ and enjoying his time in Australia otherwise. He's not the first person to be dissatisfied with UQ though (as evidenced by this thread).

29/3.4 for UQ Ochsner or for UQ for the international students?

I agree. I know Phloston and he is certainly not disgruntled. QLDMan on the other hand is. Yes, there are absolutely negative aspects to the program (and UQ specifically), but whereas QLDMan makes up data to fit his narrative and bloviates endlessly on how terrible it is and how incorrigible UQ is, Phloston takes an appropriately metered and data based tone and approach. I've disagreed with Phloston in the past, but only on a few minor points of contention.

The only MCAT stats I've ever seen from UQ were those disclosed in a general international student information guide.

But I wouldn't be surprised if UQ-O, now that it's a few years underway, has now started to produce its own independent stats. My guess would be that the Ochsner stats are comparable to the other internationals'.

There will be more data forthcoming, but it will probably be a few years before there is any good data to base conclusions on. UQ-O is starting to produce independent stats, though I know nothing more than that.

I'll also note that MCAT scores do not indicate how good a doctor you will be, how smart you are, or really much of anything except for how well you will do on the Step 1 and shelf exams. And even the Step 1 is well noted to not be a good indicator of anything except how well you do on standardized exams. It was never intended as a qualitative metric to separate out candidates, even though that is what it is being used for (with much criticism).

In other words, I would be cautious about trying to use average MCAT scores to then evaluate the program itself in terms of what you expect your outcomes to be.

I agree. I know Phloston and he is certainly not disgruntled. QLDMan on the other hand is. Yes, there are absolutely negative aspects to the program (and UQ specifically), but whereas QLDMan makes up data to fit his narrative and bloviates endlessly on how terrible it is and how incorrigible UQ is, Phloston takes an appropriately metered and data based tone and approach. I've disagreed with Phloston in the past, but only on a few minor points of contention.

Ahh that's right I knew something wasn't right when I was writing... I did post it at 2am I think. It is qldman who is disgruntled.

To be fair though, the post by phloston sounded exactly like something qldman would say.

Ahh that's right I knew something wasn't right when I was writing... I did post it at 2am I think. It is qldman who is disgruntled.

To be fair though, the post by phloston sounded exactly like something qldman would say.

Fair enough.

I'll also note that MCAT scores do not indicate how good a doctor you will be, how smart you are, or really much of anything except for how well you will do on the Step 1 and shelf exams.

True, but I remember a fascinating study that came out c. 2003 which found that MCAT score was fairly well correlated (inversely) with the chances that as a doctor you'd later be brought up for ethical/legal discipline in the field. It was very controversial, since the findings also looked at school of training, and lo and behold, the traditionally black schools graduated the highest number of docs who were disciplined (while they were also the schools with the lowest MCAT entry scores). People were screaming racism on this forum, merely because of an interesting association made -- reminded me of all the racism-screaming over The Bell Curve.

Anywho, I think MCAT can be a *predictor* similar (but less so) to how IQ can be, merely giving a population-based probability for a number of specific future behaviors, while not being *indicative* of said behaviors at the individual level.

Last edited:
True, but I remember a fascinating study that came out c. 2003 which found that MCAT score was fairly well correlated (inversely) with the chances that as a doctor you'd later be brought up for ethical/legal discipline in the field. It was very controversial, since the findings also looked at school of training, and lo and behold, the traditionally black schools graduated the highest number of docs who were disciplined (while they were also the schools with the lowest MCAT entry scores). People were screaming racism on this forum, merely because of an interesting association made -- reminded me of all the racism-screaming over The Bell Curve.

Sounds like a typical data dredging artifact. If you look at enough possible associations you will eventually find one that is significant. Especially if you don't correct for multiple comparisons. But it could be legit for other reasons, like the one you suggested, in which a third factor is actually causally associated with both MCAT and ethics, even though the two are not themselves causally associated.

Anywho, I think MCAT can be a *predictor* similar (but less so) to how IQ can be, merely giving a population-based probability for a number of specific future behaviors, while not being *indicative* of said behaviors at the individual level.

That sounds about right to me.

I've looked all over the place for specifics on match rates and match chances back in the US for the UQO graduates, and IMGs from Australia in general, is there any reliable data available?

I've looked all over the place for specifics on match rates and match chances back in the US for the UQO graduates, and IMGs from Australia in general, is there any reliable data available?

I'm pretty sure their first year everyone matched although they graduated only about 12 people. 4 people went to IM at Ochsner.

I'm pretty sure their first year everyone matched although they graduated only about 12 people. 4 people went to IM at Ochsner.

Almost correct. 9 graduated, not 12. And yes all matched with 4 at Ochsner IM. There is simply a paucity of data from which to draw any conclusions.

Not all, but most. Either as a VOPP (Voice Over Power Point) or podcast. I would listen to them at home, at my convenience, at 2x speed. It was vastly more efficient than actually going to the lecture. For me, for example, it saved me 3 hours of my day to cover 3 hours of lectures. I lived in New Farm so it basically took me an hour each way to commute to St. Lucia. Each 1 hour lecture was really only 50 minutes at best because of time to change between lectures and various other delays. So it took a total of 5 hours of my time to get 2h30m of actual lecture. Or I could just listen to them all in 1h15m at home, pausing whenever I needed to or listening to parts over again.

I also believe that no matter how good the lecturer is, it is simply impossible to convey enough information via lecture to be significant compared to how much we need to know anyways. We could spend 40 hours a week with the "best" lecturers and subject topics possible and it STILL would be able to convey a small minority of the information you really need to know. No matter how you slice it, the only way to do well in medical school and not get too burned out is be studying EFFICIENTLY. And let's face it - the old paradigm of lecturing is simply not efficient enough. It is a good augment, but best at 2x speed. With the internet and streaming video and youtube, etc, it is vastly more efficient to spend your time on your own.

The TRUE utility of the lecture is to get you to understand key concepts, fundamental ideas, extremely well. That is quite useful, not doubt. And that is where differences can be had. And I'll agree there were some professors that really weren't very good. But there were some that really were. I could say the exact same about my undergrad institution and so could everyone else I know. I'm just not going to obsess over whether UQ is a little worse than average in something that is rightfully a small part of the actual educational process as it is today. I think it is extremely viable that in the not TOO distant future, most all of this can be done without any sort of traditional university infrastructure - all online. Much more efficiently and cheaply. It would just require more sophisticated means of identity verification and academic dishonesty detection, but it is well within the realm of possibility.

I guess what I am saying is that it really just isn't that big a deal, nor this ridiculously misshapen idea of the "sanctity of medicine." I fully admit that some people can't adequately handle the paradigm shift. This program probably isn't best suited for folks like that.

docta drey, can you post about a typical week for you in years 1 and 2? did you ever attend lecture? im guessing this implies attendance is optional? what time did you begin your day, how much of it was studying vs listening to lectures, etc? i realize this is personal but it'd be interesting to know your personal schedule.

docta drey, can you post about a typical week for you in years 1 and 2? did you ever attend lecture? im guessing this implies attendance is optional? what time did you begin your day, how much of it was studying vs listening to lectures, etc? i realize this is personal but it'd be interesting to know your personal schedule.

It is extremely personal and I would say that I am not a very good example of what to expect. Lectures are optional and I basically never went after 1st semester of M1 year. Weeks vary depending on course schedules. Days vary depending on projects due, tests, etc.

I also integrate my studying and reading into my everyday life. It is actually typically pretty uncommon for me to just sit down and study for some given set of time. Don't get me wrong, I do from time to time, but mostly in M1 year. After that it was rare that I would say "Today I study for 6 hours and it will be 2 hours each of immuno, pulm phys, and pharm." Actually, I never really did exactly that either. I never studied the nights before tests and only occasionally covered a few topics for a little bit during the day before a test.

I read a lot, all non-fiction, most of it scientific/medical in nature and integrated that into my daily routine (still do). During M1 year I read ~70,000 pages or so (rough estimate, a lot was articles online). I lived by myself that year, had no internet or TV at home, and basically spent almost every spare minute of my time reading or working out. I tend to stick to primary source data and infrequently use textbooks. I've only flipped through Robbins, I've never actually read a full chapter out of Harrisons, and the only "text" I've actually read cover to cover is Paul Marino's The ICU Book. In terms of listening to lectures... that was what I tried to minimize the most. I downloaded the podcasts of them and listened at 2x speed just to make sure I didn't miss anything important. I rarely did and if it really came down to it, lecture was the first thing I dropped.

Beginning study days, having study days, and even what to study for me is dictated almost entirely by the idea of time arbitrage. I do what makes sense. If I need to sleep in and catch up, I do. Usually, however, I wake up every day at 6am, regardless of the day or whether I am on holiday or not. And every morning I read science and medicine articles and blogs. I even went on holiday in Cancun last year and would wake up at 6am, sit on the hotel balcony with my coffee, and read articles. If I feel like working out, I do it. If I am bored of a topic I switch it. If I am really grooving on a topic, I've canceled nights out or other pre-planned activities to keep going with it.

The point is, how you go about it is personal. There are a few underlying principles - the biggest ones are to do a little bit of something every day (I am currently at my fiance's family's place for xmas and I spent this morning reading about the National Lung Screening Trial results) and to be willing to block off time and ignore everything except the utmost of emergencies. I actually got a lot of tips from Study Hacks and wrote my own referenced guide (attached). But you need to find which combination suits you and be willing to change it if it is no longer working.

TL;DR: A few good tips to start from, the biggest is do a little every day, but from there it depends entirely on you and how you function. Try and be efficient and take time to improve efficiency up front rather than do what feels comfortable but is slower. Identifying points to increase efficiency can be tricky.

Attachments

• Study habits.docx
    162.1 KB · Views: 128
I'm planning on applying to start in Jan 2015 because I'm graduating in May, but I'm not sure if I should fill out the FAFSA or not. Since the program starts in January, I thought the FAFSA process might be a bit complicated since I won't apply to the program until after the March 1st FAFSA deadline. For those of you who've been accepted to this program, did you have to fill out a FAFSA? if so were you able to complete it before the March 1st deadline? . Could some of you please explain how you went about this? Thanks in advance!

I'm planning on applying to start in Jan 2015 because I'm graduating in May, but I'm not sure if I should fill out the FAFSA or not. Since the program starts in January, I thought the FAFSA process might be a bit complicated since I won't apply to the program until after the March 1st FAFSA deadline. For those of you who've been accepted to this program, did you have to fill out a FAFSA? if so were you able to complete it before the March 1st deadline? . Could some of you please explain how you went about this? Thanks in advance!

Yes, you do fill out the FAFSA form (assuming you want Federal loans). The timing is such that it works out. Remember that March 2nd is still before March 1 of the following year.

I'm also interested to hear how match went this year. I'm sure there will be some anecdotes on here in the next couple weeks.

I started a new thread asking if anyone's heard about the residency because people most likely don't check after six pages of a conversation haha.

I haven't seen a list, but through word of mouth 21 of 24 matched and 6 matched at Ochsner IM.

I've heard that 22 of 24 got spots. One of them through SOAP. Rumor is that there were matches into a couple more competitive fields (ortho and rads)

If you check the residencies thread, there's a link to mededpath's webpage that lists all the residencies obtained.

California medical board site committee recommend full accrediation as of April 16, 2014 for all student from Jan. 1, 2009 for the UQ Oschner program

Not true. Recognition by the Medical Board of California is an ongoing process. Here is a publishing from earlier this month: http://www.mbc.ca.gov/board/meetings/materials_2013_07-18_brd-item18.pdf

I would recommend going to one of the traditional Australian programs, before Ochsner, at this point. Flinders, USyd, traditional UQ, etc.

While I think UQ Ochsner will get California recognition, it doesn't have it yet. And it's best not to bet on something happening when it comes to your career, unless you have no other choice. Normal UQ students are still allowed to do clinical rotations at Ochsner but I believe they are limited to 3 months.

California medical board site committee recommend full accrediation as of April 16, 2014 for all student from Jan. 1, 2009 for the UQ Oschner program. It will be reconized in California soon.

Attachments

• medboardofcalif_20140501_brd-4.pdf
    582.5 KB · Views: 77
California medical board site committee recommend full accrediation as of April 16, 2014 for all student from Jan. 1, 2009 for the UQ Oschner program

This is correct. I can't upload the PDF since it is too large, but I'll copy-paste the summary recommendation from the MBC for the upcoming May 1 board meeting:

Again, the summary recommendation by the site visit team is that the UQO Clinical School Program is in substantial compliance with the applicable statutes and regulations. It is also our recommendation that recognition be retroactive to the prior graduating classes. In our assessment of the program there haven’t been any substantive curricular changes and therefore those trainees who successfully completed the program should also be eligible.
Considering this is the summary recommendation of the site visit team, which included James Nuovo who was the lead assessor of the request for recognition, I don't see any issues with approval. Of course unpredictable things are unpredictable, but it seems pretty solid at this point. Alas, 'twas too late for me, but I certainly can't complain. For both myself and my fiance the outcome is unquestionably the best for our careers. We just miss being home and close to family. Just means that will happen in 3 years is all.

I'll also add here (in addition to the other thread) that there are indeed still opportunities for UQO grads back in Aus (despite what some trolls who shall remain unnamed have tried to assert numerous times). There are actually 4 of my class in internship in Aus right now, and I just found out that one of the 2 who didn't match managed to snag a late start position at an Aus internship (though I wouldn't count on that, the fact that it happened is telling).