UQ-Ochsner 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also just received an offer today and I'm going to accept it. If there is a fb page or group would love to join and talk with others!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Me too, acceptance letter...waiting for an email on how to proceed with all the paperwork... congrats to all.

Reactions: 2 users
I was just accepted today, too! Very excited. This was much-needed good news.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats. You will get benefit of us suffering through their first year as an MD program. They're already making some changes that will benefit the next class.

Reactions: 1 users
i'm so excited i just got in. Should we just start our own facebook group?

i'm so excited i just got in. Should we just start our own facebook group?
yes there's no group yet. I just need one member on facebook to add to the group. PM me with your name and I'll find you on fb and create the group

We now have a facebook page! Please find it and join :)

Congrats to you all!

Would all of those who have been accepted please share your stats & when you applied? :) Please & thank you!

I had 3.2 GPA and 36 MCAT (14-10-12). I applied in January and interviewed in Mid-March.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey you all,
I got accepted into UQ Ochsner on Monday and I just the fb page saminmit created. I think I will accept the offer as well. Looking forward to getting to meet everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how many people got sent offers in this first batch... I'm getting nervous, I still have to wait for my new MCAT scores to be released :( this is killer

Congrats to all accepted! I got my acceptance offer yesterday and am going to accept my offer. I look forward to meeting everyone!

is the curriculum PBL or lecture based?

if this school doesn't allow you to compete for Australian internship, wouldn't it be a huge red flag? because returning to the US is extremely difficult afaik, and what if i can't get a residency in the US? what am i to do then?

curriculum mix of pbl/cbl and lecture..

the whole point of the program is to work in USA not in Australia. years 3 and 4 in New Orleans so if you do well enough on the usmle I and II you can get a spot at Ochsner (not a guarantee but you have a huge advantage in the selection since you have trained there already :cool:). Hence it is called UQ-Ochsner.

Last edited:
Returning to the US from UQ-Ochsner is not difficult since all of the clinical years are in the US. 2015 match rate was 90%, most with their first and second choices. The current program is a mix of CBL and lecture, supplemented by some online resources, and whatever you want to use to help (Pathoma).

1 failed his Step 1 the first time. The other 2, not sure. Talking to a 4th year on my Rugby team he said that it was really hard not to match. You had to do something really stupid. Also a few went back to Australia too.

hey guys, the app doesn't require letters of rec., but did you send one or two anyway?

Hi all,

As of 12:55 PM Pacific time, I was accepted into UQ Ochsner for 2016! So excited and I definitely am going to accept. If anyone else is going to accept their offer, please send me a PM I would love to chat!
is there a deposit? how much time do you have to turn in deposit?

Last edited by a moderator:
is there a deposit? how much time do you have to turn in deposit?
Yes, 3000 deposit + 2400 for health insurance. You have 40 days to accept or reject.

its weird that they wanted the Health Insurance in AUD rather than USD. plus so exact 2960 AUD, its quite strange. I had to do a wire transfer.

I hope theres spots left for me! Haha, I'm taking the MCAT july 17th, so will have scores mid august. I have a friend in the program now, first year UQ-O.

I hope theres spots left for me! Haha, I'm taking the MCAT july 17th, so will have scores mid august. I have a friend in the program now, first year UQ-O.

I hope there is going to be a spot for me too! Just took the new mcat april 18 :) good luck to you!

I hope there is going to be a spot for me too! Just took the new mcat april 18 :) good luck to you!

how does it compare to the old one. I got a 23 on the old one. 6/9/8. I'm giving myself 3 months to study this time, last time I sort of crammed it in.

how does it compare to the old one. I got a 23 on the old one. 6/9/8. I'm giving myself 3 months to study this time, last time I sort of crammed it in.

I never took the old one so I couldn't really say. Look over some of the 2015 MCAT threads, they give good insight on what to expect from people who took it April 17/18. I am debating on signing up for the May test just in case I scored lower than expected.. Sucks its going to take 60 days to get scores back.. Feels like forever already!

there is about 120 spots for the program.

They accept 120, but who knows how many people got accepted in this first batch.. This program is becoming a lot more popular & has been filling up quicker and quicker each year.

Staying hopeful though :)

you plan to apply for 2016 entry, that late? o_O

you plan to apply for 2016 entry, that late? o_O

Judging by last year's numbers its not that late. They accepted people up through september. And later people dropped so they were taking people up through january pretty much.

I never took the old one so I couldn't really say. Look over some of the 2015 MCAT threads, they give good insight on what to expect from people who took it April 17/18. I am debating on signing up for the May test just in case I scored lower than expected.. Sucks its going to take 60 days to get scores back.. Feels like forever already!

How was the psych soc, stuff? Is it stuff I can just learn out of review books? You were like the guinea pig for this test!

How was the psych soc, stuff? Is it stuff I can just learn out of review books? You were like the guinea pig for this test!

Yeah.. Watch Kahn Academy, read review books, & I really recommend buying the official practice test! Some of it you can put together from the text, but a few you really needed to know the definition.

Judging by last year's numbers its not that late. They accepted people up through september. And later people dropped so they were taking people up through january pretty much.

Yeah when I talked to mededpath, there are a lot of people who turn down their offers (for US/Carrib. med schools, research opportunities, graduate school, or whatever else) or don't make payments in time.

Yes, 3000 deposit + 2400 for health insurance. You have 40 days to accept or reject.
Bear in mind that you have 40 days (I thought it was slightly longer than this, but if they said 40 days in the offer letter, then I guess that's what it is) before the offer expires, but it is still first come first serve when it comes to sending in the deposits. You have to formally accept and send the money before a spot is yours. If you wait until the last day and no spots are available, even though you were accepted, you end up without a spot unless someone drops.

its weird that they wanted the Health Insurance in AUD rather than USD. plus so exact 2960 AUD, its quite strange. I had to do a wire transfer.
It's not really that strange, they just don't bother explaining it clearly. Your deposit is in USD because your tuition is in USD. The OSHC is provided by Australian companies, and thus take money in AUD. It is a completely separate entity. You can just have UQ organize it for you to save some effort. This is why you can pay for your OSHC one way, and your deposit another.

Thanks! I am waiting to hear from 4 US med schools I've been waitlisted at, but honestly I may just end up going to UQ because it would be an incredible experience (and I hate the cold!)

Did anyone else apply to US or other med schools as well and waiting on acceptances to those schools? Anyone still deciding on accepting & sending deposit or not?

@sean80439 any thoughts or opinions on the two preclinical schools, Royal Brisbane and Princess Alexandra? Trying to choose one but I don't have much information to help me. Thanks!

I'm at RBWH. I like it. It is definitely the better overall hospital, but for the first 2 years here in Australia it is kinda irrelevant since it's all preclinical. I also live in Bowen Hills which is walking distance to RBWH. Downside is that the bus takes about 40min each way from campus and sometimes you only get an hour from when class ends. With that said I've never been late. You do have to prioritise getting there when you have class immediately prior. I haven't been in the PA coaching rooms so I can't comment. The RBWH clinical coaching rooms are really nice though.

I'm at RBWH. I like it. It is definitely the better overall hospital, but for the first 2 years here in Australia it is kinda irrelevant since it's all preclinical. I also live in Bowen Hills which is walking distance to RBWH. Downside is that the bus takes about 40min each way from campus and sometimes you only get an hour from when class ends. With that said I've never been late. You do have to prioritise getting there when you have class immediately prior. I haven't been in the PA coaching rooms so I can't comment. The RBWH clinical coaching rooms are really nice though.
Thanks for your input. The commute is definitely something to think about and because of that I'm more inclined to choose PA because of how close it is to St. Lucia. Glad to know you're liking your experience at RBWH :)

Honestly, I would flip a coin, but prioritize where you live based on that so you don't have to commute to both. Your second year you spend a lot more time at the Hospital. You also can change hospitals from first to second year.

Honestly, I would flip a coin, but prioritize where you live based on that so you don't have to commute to both. Your second year you spend a lot more time at the Hospital. You also can change hospitals from first to second year.

So where are most of the classes held? What neighborhood is better to live in if you want to be close to classes?

how is public transportation (not only to campus but also to surrounding places: shopping, grocery, cinema, work, etc.)?