UQ-Ochsner 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The actual lectures that you receive at UQ are of a high quality. The problem is that there arent enough of them. I have also heard that the school has cut down on a significant amount of biomedical lectures in the past few years though.

Members don't see this ad.

Long time lurker here. Been interested in the program for a while. Im worried that im going to be too late to apply (planning for early October) because Im taking the MCAT in early September and am currently studying for it.

On that note, does anyone know how Medpath/UQ evaluates the new mcat scores? Cutoffs?

In short, the program is great because it gets you what you want: a residency in the US.However, like many US programs, you'll find technology has made subpar teaching pointless as you can find superior sources online.
so overall, is the teaching quality at UQ not very good?

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker here. Been interested in the program for a while. Im worried that im going to be too late to apply (planning for early October) because Im taking the MCAT in early September and am currently studying for it.

On that note, does anyone know how Medpath/UQ evaluates the new mcat scores? Cutoffs?

Based on last year the class filled in early september I think so you will probably be out of luck.

Not sure. They have said equivalent percentile to a 26 from the old test would be the cutoff.

so overall, is the teaching quality at UQ not very good?
There are a few lecturers who are good, but there's some problems with going to lecture. Most poignantly, the tests and lectures do not correlate well, so while you may enjoy a lecturer, or the material he teaches, it is - at best - 2 points on a 120-point exam. For example, Tunney teaches physiology well. He is a great lecturer, but I've had better. Unfortunately, he looks amazing because he's not the norm, and the average quality is pathetic at best.

For all his pomp and circumstance, though, physiology was really about 6 points total on the final, with the vast majority being focused on pathology and treatment. I feel the final represented what we should know better than the lectures, where we spent large swaths of time on material that was not tested at all, and sometimes a second's glance at stuff that was tested thrice over.
The actual lectures that you receive at UQ are of a high quality. The problem is that there arent enough of them. I have also heard that the school has cut down on a significant amount of biomedical lectures in the past few years though.
No, the quality is low, and there are too many.

There are a few lecturers who are good, but there's some problems with going to lecture. Most poignantly, the tests and lectures do not correlate well, so while you may enjoy a lecturer, or the material he teaches, it is - at best - 2 points on a 120-point exam. For example, Tunney teaches physiology well. He is a great lecturer, but I've had better. Unfortunately, he looks amazing because he's not the norm, and the average quality is pathetic at best.

For all his pomp and circumstance, though, physiology was really about 6 points total on the final, with the vast majority being focused on pathology and treatment. I feel the final represented what we should know better than the lectures, where we spent large swaths of time on material that was not tested at all, and sometimes a second's glance at stuff that was tested thrice over.

No, the quality is low, and there are too many.

lol are you like a first year trying to tell a graduate how it works?

The lectures are very good. The problem is there aren't enough.

lol are you like a first year trying to tell a graduate how it works?

The lectures are very good. The problem is there aren't enough.
Correction, I AM a first year telling someone who has never done the MD program at UQ how it works.

Correction, I AM a first year telling someone who has never done the MD program at UQ how it works.

Ok good, because that means you're an idiot. The school covers pathology and microbiology better than any other Australian school does in Year 2.

Pathology and Physiology---probably the two most useful biomedical topics are covered very well.

And why does it matter how well topics covered correlate to numbers of questions on exams? Since when is that the metric of quality of education? Get the hell out of here with that mentality.

Based on last year the class filled in early september I think so you will probably be out of luck.

Not sure. They have said equivalent percentile to a 26 from the old test would be the cutoff.

Ah shoot really. Do you think I should do the rest of my application in the meantime, and then apply pending my mcat results? Would they consider me with my scores pending?

Also, found the cutoff for the new MCAT. Its 496, which is 37th percentile lol. Thats pretty low for a cutoff IMO, and pretty good news for me since im scoring in the 70's on my practice tests

Requirements for Admission
Minimum MCAT score of 24 (8, 8, 8), taken in one test sitting for application to be reviewed.

Minimum MCAT 2015+ cumulative score of 496, with no minimum requirement in any one section for application to be reviewed

These minimums do not guarantee admission into the program.

A "B" average in a bachelor’s or more advanced degree, earned no more than 10 years before the start of classes (from January 2006 on.)

http://www.mededpath.org/uq4yraus/admissions_international.html

Also, found the cutoff for the new MCAT. Its 496, which is 37th percentile lol. Thats pretty low for a cutoff IMO, and pretty good news for me since im scoring in the 70's on my practice tests

Requirements for Admission
Minimum MCAT score of 24 (8, 8, 8), taken in one test sitting for application to be reviewed.

Minimum MCAT 2015+ cumulative score of 496, with no minimum requirement in any one section for application to be reviewed

These minimums do not guarantee admission into the program.

A "B" average in a bachelor’s or more advanced degree, earned no more than 10 years before the start of classes (from January 2006 on.)

http://www.mededpath.org/uq4yraus/admissions_international.html

That looks like the requirement for the regular UQ 4 year program and not Ochsner (Since UQ-O now has a minimum of 26 on the old MCAT). Any luck finding the new MCAT scores for UQ-O?

edit: Just found it For MCAT 2015+ tests taken April 2015 and after, the minimum MCAT 2015+ score for 2016 entry is a cumulative score of 499 with no minimum requirement for any one section.

Thats interesting that theres no subsection minimum score anymore.

Last edited:
Ah shoot really. Do you think I should do the rest of my application in the meantime, and then apply pending my mcat results? Would they consider me with my scores pending?

From what I've seen/been told, they won't look at your application until everything is complete because they won't give you an interview until its complete. So no, don't think they will consider you with scores pending. Once the class fills it fills.

Ok good, because that means you're an idiot. The school covers pathology and microbiology better than any other Australian school does in Year 2.

Pathology and Physiology---probably the two most useful biomedical topics are covered very well.
Wow, did I touch a nerve. Sorry you're not qualified to comment on this topic. By your own metric (herp derp I graduated from this school!), you didn't graduate from every other Australian school and so are not qualified to comment on it. So, my double standard alumnus, don't fall for your own ignorances.

There have been a number of changes, and the order of topics does not make sense. We are currently in semester 2, and overwhelmingly common in the first week, we've had one guy promise to finish early, only to spend that excess time telling poorly-delivered jokes. The delivery of every topic is poor; only a select two teach coherently and in an order that makes sense.

And frankly, as a US citizen, I don't care about the nationality of who teaches best: if Sattar teaches pathology best, I'm going to use him if I have access to him. I am not going to say, "Well, he's not Australian, so, I shouldn't care about him!"
And why does it matter how well topics covered correlate to numbers of questions on exams? Since when is that the metric of quality of education? Get the hell out of here with that mentality.
How did you get any medical degree with your reading skills?! Are you sure you graduated, or did they send you a rejection letter and you just misread it like you did my post?

I'm laughing so hard about this. No one said how well something is taught should correlate with number of questions. I said the amount of time dedicated should. For future doctors of America (which this thread is for, not for you), one must dedicate their time in such a way that it reflects high-yield topics more than low-yield material

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, did I touch a nerve. Sorry you're not qualified to comment on this topic. By your own metric (herp derp I graduated from this school!), you didn't graduate from every other Australian school and so are not qualified to comment on it. So, my double standard alumnus, don't fall for your own ignorances.

There have been a number of changes, and the order of topics does not make sense. We are currently in semester 2, and overwhelmingly common in the first week, we've had one guy promise to finish early, only to spend that excess time telling poorly-delivered jokes. The delivery of every topic is poor; only a select two teach coherently and in an order that makes sense.

And frankly, as a US citizen, I don't care about the nationality of who teaches best: if Sattar teaches pathology best, I'm going to use him if I have access to him. I am not going to say, "Well, he's not Australian, so, I shouldn't care about him!"

How did you get any medical degree with your reading skills?! Are you sure you graduated, or did they send you a rejection letter and you just misread it like you did my post?

I'm laughing so hard about this. No one said how well something is taught should correlate with number of questions. I said the amount of time dedicated should. For future doctors of America (which this thread is for, not for you), one must dedicate their time in such a way that it reflects high-yield topics more than low-yield material

Anyone who uses the term 'high-yield' needs to be shot on sight. Just say, 'useful to my medical education' instead. Seriously.

Your UQ education isn't training you to be an American doctor; it's training you to be a doctor.

Wait till you're a litter further on in the game before you start insulting people...you know, like, maybe finish your first year off and then you can start talking like a big boy.

Anyone who uses the term 'high-yield' needs to be shot on sight. Just say, 'useful to my medical education' instead. Seriously.

Your UQ education isn't training you to be an American doctor; it's training you to be a doctor.

Wait till you're a litter further on in the game before you start insulting people...you know, like, maybe finish your first year off and then you can start talking like a big boy.
Sattar - you know that famous pathologist more successful than you - uses "high-yield" ad nauseum. I'll take his advice over a no-name anyday. No offense, but you are a nobody and you won't ever amount to anything more than an accidental footnote. I don't recommend you shooting Dr. Sattar, seriously. It's not worth it, man. You're a doctor. Didn't they teach you not to hurt people?!

And again, UQ-Ochsner program is not the same rodeo. Years 3 and 4 matter, believe it or not - even if they didn't for you.

@DownUnderBlunder @qldking

You guys are representing UQ-Ochsner really well! :p

Also does anyone know if there is a deferral program?

Can't defer an acceptance. They will make you reapply for the following year. Although if you got accepted, there is no reason why you wouldn't get accepted the following year (although it is possible admissions requirements could change I suppose).

Reactions: 1 user
Can't defer an acceptance. They will make you reapply for the following year. Although if you got accepted, there is no reason why you wouldn't get accepted the following year (although it is possible admissions requirements could change I suppose).
thank you!

Does anyone know if UQ releases acceptances on a rolling basis or if it's a single batch per interview date? It says 6-8 weeks but there are people on here that received acceptances 2 weeks later. Does that mean the rest are just awaiting rejection? :/

I have two other interviews but UQO is my first choice. I'd really like this application cycle to be over!

Does anyone know if UQ releases acceptances on a rolling basis or if it's a single batch per interview date? It says 6-8 weeks but there are people on here that received acceptances 2 weeks later. Does that mean the rest are just awaiting rejection? :/

I have two other interviews but UQO is my first choice. I'd really like this application cycle to be over!

Are you interviewing anywhere else in Australia?

It is not based on the interview date, but on the admissions committee's meeting dates. They are released in groups, but unrelated to when you interviewed. You can call MedEdPath and they are usually aware when the next meeting is, and can give you an idea when they will receive an update on admissions.

I think a larger issue is that a full quarter of the student body are Americans who are returning to the US, and are still forced to learn Australian medical law and ethics when some of it is completely irrelevant. That and aboriginal health/research is a waste of time. The research class was equivalent to any undergraduate class you would have been forced to take.

I have some questions about the tuition of UQ-Ochsner and general cost of living for the two years in Australia in the UQ-Ochsner program. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone would give me some info related to my questions.

1. The 2016 tuition figure for the UQ-Ochsner program is quoted in USD. Has it been always like this that the students would pay the tuition in USD instead of AUD?
2. It appears to me that the tuition figure for 2016 entry class is about 10% more than that for 2015 entry class. In the past, was the annual tuition increase rate also around 10% every year? If that's the case, it will be a major concern for me to think about the program.
3. Could someone give us an estimate on the annual cost of living in St Lucia (where the Ochsner cohort will be in Years 1-2) including rent, food, bus tickets, utilities, etc.? Please estimate based on the lowest standard of living that will only allow normal medical studies without any luxury, i.e., no entertainment, cook my own food, do my own laundry, live in shared apartment, walk to or take bus/subway to go to school, but do not cut back on necessary text books, etc.
4. Do the students in the Ochsner cohort form groups to rent and share apartments together, or does each person find his/her own ways to survive in Australia?
5. It seems that the UQ onshore traditional MD program charges tuition in AUD, and is much cheaper than UQ-Ochsner when converted to USD. Therefore, is UQ traditional MD program more attractive?
6. Does anyone have statistics of the US residency match rate and USMLE results achieved by the UQ onshore traditional MD students? Were they better or worse than the UQ-Ochsner results?
7. Compared to Sydney, how much is St Lucia cheaper? I notice that Univ of Sydney charges tuition in AUD which is significantly cheaper than UQ-Ochsner after converting to USD based on the current exchange rate.

Thanks in advance!

I have some questions about the tuition of UQ-Ochsner and general cost of living for the two years in Australia in the UQ-Ochsner program. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone would give me some info related to my questions.

1. The 2016 tuition figure for the UQ-Ochsner program is quoted in USD. Has it been always like this that the students would pay the tuition in USD instead of AUD?
2. It appears to me that the tuition figure for 2016 entry class is about 10% more than that for 2015 entry class. In the past, was the annual tuition increase rate also around 10% every year? If that's the case, it will be a major concern for me to think about the program.
3. Could someone give us an estimate on the annual cost of living in St Lucia (where the Ochsner cohort will be in Years 1-2) including rent, food, bus tickets, utilities, etc.? Please estimate based on the lowest standard of living that will only allow normal medical studies without any luxury, i.e., no entertainment, cook my own food, do my own laundry, live in shared apartment, walk to or take bus/subway to go to school, but do not cut back on necessary text books, etc.
4. Do the students in the Ochsner cohort form groups to rent and share apartments together, or does each person find his/her own ways to survive in Australia?
5. It seems that the UQ onshore traditional MD program charges tuition in AUD, and is much cheaper than UQ-Ochsner when converted to USD. Therefore, is UQ traditional MD program more attractive?
6. Does anyone have statistics of the US residency match rate and USMLE results achieved by the UQ onshore traditional MD students? Were they better or worse than the UQ-Ochsner results?
7. Compared to Sydney, how much is St Lucia cheaper? I notice that Univ of Sydney charges tuition in AUD which is significantly cheaper than UQ-Ochsner after converting to USD based on the current exchange rate.

Thanks in advance!

1. Fairly certain UQ-O tuition was always in USD since the program started.
2. Fairly certain tuition has risen every year (not sure if by 10% though)

can't answer any of your other questions

Last edited:
Original cost of UQ-O was in AUD and USD for the class of 2010:

2010 Year Tuition
Year One $66,000 AUD
Year Two $68,500 AUD
Year Three $51,800 U.S.
Year Four TBD

http://web.archive.org/web/20090820164736/http://www.mededpath.org/tuition.php

2011 changed to USD: $50,000/year
2012: $52,000 USD
2013: $54,080 USD
2014: $56,480 USD
2015: $58,400 USD
2016: $64,240 USD

I lived in Melbourne for $800/month total, but I lived in a converted convent I found with four other international students on Chapel St. The US equivalent of Rodeo drive. If you're willing to network, you can find some cheap places. I found that place through my undergraduate university's study abroad office. I know most of my international friends were living for $1,300/month AUD on their own or putting 4 people to a one bedroom. Australia isn't cheap. Sorry, I can't give you specific details on St. Lucia. I've traveled through Brisbane and Sydney though and I'd say the difference is negligible. Unless you're going to Flinders, your cost of living is gonna be roughly the same. I'd be more concerned with ease of public transit.

From what I was looking at through housing agencies, splitting a house with others is the most cost effective in St. Lucia within walking distance of the university.

Every time a university switches to an MD program they significantly raise tuition. University of Melbourne used to be slightly more than attending UC Davis before they switched to an MD and doubled their tuition almost immediately. Internationals don't seem to understand MBBS/MD are the same. That being said, the "significantly cheaper" tuition you're seeing between UQ ($60k AUD) and UQO ($64 USD) is because of the AUD exchange rate. That rate varies, sometimes drastically. Just be aware that your tuition will fluctuate annually regardless of what the university decides. From October 2010 - may 2013 the exchange was actually over 1:1.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=USD&view=10Y

Hi! Can people give me an idea what my chances of being accepted here are if I apply right now? I have a 3.5 GPA and 31 MCAT. Should I expect to apply again for next cycle? (2017)

Hi! Can people give me an idea what my chances of being accepted here are if I apply right now? I have a 3.5 GPA and 31 MCAT. Should I expect to apply again for next cycle? (2017)
Your best bet is to call MedEdPath and ask. I think you won't have trouble getting accepted with those stats (but frankly, you shouldn't have trouble getting accepted in the US with those stats either).

lmao what are you even doing in this thread bro?

lmao what are you even doing in this thread bro?

He may not know the match rate. He may be interested in the life experience. He may not live in the U.S. What is with all the ridicule in this thread?

Hi all,

I'm currently a first year here, and can shed light on a few things:

MedEdPath is considered your representative for the UQ-Ochsner program. This is a technicality, but they present your application. As a result, you cannot apply to UQ and UQ-Ochsner separately, as admissions will wonder why you have a representative on one side, and chose to represent yourself on the other. It looks weird, and your documents will be messed up. In addition, MedEdPath does a lot of make sure your application is correct before submitting, something you need and will miss out on if you "represent yourself." However, there is no way to apply to UQ-Ochsner without MedEdPath.

The MD program is poorly done; they are "addressing" it, but promises and actions are two distinct verbs. For US students, it is a real fact that you will be teaching yourself because UQ's curriculum is not comprehensive. However, I have friends in three Ivy League med schools in the US who are experiencing the same "self-teaching" curriculum. The reason there is so much noise about the quality is, after a series of disasters the staff called "lectures," they blamed the students for their ignorance and competence. When that became a PR nightmare, the story was changed to, "Admissions misspoke about the prerequisites you had." It was a softer way of placing the blame on us for the disorganization, so they never addressed real issues. For example, there are many times a lecture on the pathology of a system precedes the physiology. One excuse provided was, "It is for the convenience of the lecturers, them taking time to teach us." That's great and all, but the students are paying to be here. Many times, we are supposed to be honored that Person X has come, despite his poor teaching skills and his apparent disdain for being there.

The shortcomings of the program for this year will not be the shortcomings for your year, but self-study for the USMLE will always be a truth. There are USMLE tutorials, but they are done by the second years, who are butthurt about getting an MBBS instead of an MD. In addition, the current "Academic" rep is a verified b###. She initially welcomed feedback on the tutorials - which currently are and continue to be "what I studied for my USMLE today" - but once she received it, she took offense and insulted us instead. A fellow CBL emailed her, and was told, "If you expect to understand anything, then you're using the tutorials wrong." What else are they for?! Apparently, just to get a feel for words we don't know yet, while the tutors study for their test. Screw us, right?

In short, the program is great because it gets you what you want: a residency in the US. However, like many US programs, you'll find technology has made subpar teaching pointless as you can find superior sources online.

Regards,
HS

Hey DownUnderBlunder, thanks for your time to offer what you know. You state that the program is great because it gets you a residency in the U.S. But, what about the 9% that didn't match in 2015? Do you think this may be a trend?

Isn't that about the same match rate as that of an average US med school?

Hey DownUnderBlunder, thanks for your time to offer what you know. You state that the program is great because it gets you a residency in the U.S. But, what about the 9% that didn't match in 2015? Do you think this may be a trend?
It's a low number, and remember that 9% means they didn't match, but they might have found a residency afterwards (I doubt all of them did, but the 9% is probably a smaller number after scramble or whatever they call it). It will be a bit of a trend since the number of students has been increasing (I believe they have maxed out now).

I think it also has to do with a bit of delusional thinking when it comes to matching thanks to hype built by exceptional cases in the past. For example, I have not met all 120 students, but I know 5 people who believe they are going to do Ortho. I'm not saying it is impossible, but even for US medical schools, the number of people who match into Ortho is slim.

Isn't that about the same match rate as that of an average US med school?

I believe the national average match value in the United States is quite a bit higher after accounting for "scramble," but I have no idea.

I'm thinking about applying for this program, and I could be complete before August 1st. Is this too late? I'll probably apply either way. Here are my stats if that's necessary: 3.75GPA, 3.9sGPA, 1st MCAT = 25, 8/8/9 (49% composite). 2nd MCAT = 504 or ~28 (64% composite). ECs: 1,500 hours EMT, 160 hours quality analyst and patient safety internship, 55 hrs volunteer tutor, 40 shadow hours. I feel like I'm more likely to get into a D.O program in the states then this program. Not that D.O programs are less competitive (well, maybe some are), but that this school seems to emphasize MCAT because it'd be difficult if not impossible to standardize GPA. Btw, do not want to match into something incredibly competitive. E.R or anesthesia. But I'd even settle for psychologist or family med depending on STEP 1 score.

It appears a 91% Match rate is just a little lower than for US allopathic grads in 2015 (94%), but much higher than osteopathic grads (79%):

"Of the 18,025 U.S. allopathic seniors who submitted program preferences for the 2015 Match, 16,932 matched to first-year positions, achieving an overall match rate of 93.9 percent. The number of matched seniors, 500 more than last year, is an all-time high. Of the U.S. seniors who matched, 51.6 percent matched to their first choice for training.

In addition to U.S. allopathic seniors, 2,949 osteopathic medical school students and graduates submitted program preferences for this year’s Match, an increase of more than 200. Their match rate to first-year positions rose to 79.3 percent, the highest ever. There were 119 fewer U.S. citizen international medical school students/graduates (IMGs) submitting program preferences in the Match and 32 more non-U.S. citizen IMGs. Match rates for both groups were virtually unchanged. "

http://www.nrmp.org/press-release-2...r-30000-residency-positions-in-4756-programs/

It appears a 91% Match rate is just a little lower than for US allopathic grads in 2015 (94%), but much higher than osteopathic grads (79%):

"Of the 18,025 U.S. allopathic seniors who submitted program preferences for the 2015 Match, 16,932 matched to first-year positions, achieving an overall match rate of 93.9 percent. The number of matched seniors, 500 more than last year, is an all-time high. Of the U.S. seniors who matched, 51.6 percent matched to their first choice for training.

In addition to U.S. allopathic seniors, 2,949 osteopathic medical school students and graduates submitted program preferences for this year’s Match, an increase of more than 200. Their match rate to first-year positions rose to 79.3 percent, the highest ever. There were 119 fewer U.S. citizen international medical school students/graduates (IMGs) submitting program preferences in the Match and 32 more non-U.S. citizen IMGs. Match rates for both groups were virtually unchanged. "

http://www.nrmp.org/press-release-2...r-30000-residency-positions-in-4756-programs/

That osteopathic matriculation average has to do with D.Os going for allopathic residencies. D.Os can apply to both M.D and D.O residencies. D.O residencies offer the "super specialty residencies" in addition to the common residency paths. D.Os match much more often and in better specialties, on average, than IMGs. Lol 79% -_-. You have got to use common sense. M.D > D.O > IMG for U.S residencies. This notion has existed on SDN for a reason. Click on any D.O school and you will see the D.O match rate average is always right near 100%. Mind you, D.O and M.D residencies are paying at the same rate. It seems like you are just ill-informed on what D.O actually is. A D.O with all else being equal, will have priority over an IMG from ANY program EVERY time in the U.S. Excluding hospitals who are affiliated with non U.S schools (like Ochsners New Orleans hospital). Don't mix this up and spread false information... My source is every D.O school website page. They all have higher match rates than Ochsner.

Last edited:
The 91% match rate is not just for UQ-Ochsner cohort alone, but for both Ochsner and UQ onshore 4-year program. Does anyone know the 2015 match rate for the UQ-Ochsner cohort alone? Obviously it is less than 91%, otherwise it won't be mixed with the UQ onshore traditional. The 2013 match rate was 100% for UQ-Ochsner, so the number was not mixed with the 4-yr traditional program, but the sample space is too small.

The 91% match rate is not just for UQ-Ochsner cohort alone, but for both Ochsner and UQ onshore 4-year program. Does anyone know the 2015 match rate for the UQ-Ochsner cohort alone? Obviously it is less than 91%, otherwise it won't be mixed with the UQ onshore traditional. The 2013 match rate was 100% for UQ-Ochsner, so the number was not mixed with the 4-yr traditional program, but the sample space is too small.

I got accepted to the UQ traditional 4 year program and was very curious on the match rates for the program. I thought that 91% match rate was for the Oschner students alone. If it is for both traditional and Oschner students it provides some relief. From what I understand the average match rate for a US IMG is around 50% and I was worried if that was the case for 4 year Australia. I have heard some people online say a Caribbean medical school is better than a 4 year UQ degree because you do rotations in USA.

If there is someone who has done the 4 year in Aus UQ program or knows a lot about it I have many questions to ask (pref through skype).

I got accepted to the UQ traditional 4 year program and was very curious on the match rates for the program. I thought that 91% match rate was for the Oschner students alone. If it is for both traditional and Oschner students it provides some relief. From what I understand the average match rate for a US IMG is around 50% and I was worried if that was the case for 4 year Australia. I have heard some people online say a Caribbean medical school is better than a 4 year UQ degree because you do rotations in USA.

If there is someone who has done the 4 year in Aus UQ program or knows a lot about it I have many questions to ask (pref through skype).

Yes, can anybody confirm this program isn't as steep of a gamble as the current statistics suggest? I'm not going to spend 300k (before interest) on a 10% gamble when I can spend 200k (before interest) on a 0% gamble Yes, I'm not considering individual effort here. But I'm mainly here for the potential life-experience and I just don't see how its worth it if really only 85% of Ochsner graduates are getting residencies in the U.S and the rest are stuck 200k in debt.

Just a reminder It's hard to view the matching stats with objectivety because the matched classes to date were tiny and now the program is like 4x bigger. Those bigger classes have not gone through the match yet.

Yes, can anybody confirm this program isn't as steep of a gamble as the current statistics suggest? I'm not going to spend 300k (before interest) on a 10% gamble when I can spend 200k (before interest) on a 0% gamble Yes, I'm not considering individual effort here. But I'm mainly here for the potential life-experience and I just don't see how its worth it if really only 85% of Ochsner graduates are getting residencies in the U.S and the rest are stuck 200k in debt.
Hope this might help assuage your concerns (from earlier in the thread):
While it is not appropriate to discuss specifics, let's just say that of those who did not match it was completely unsurprising and by my estimation would have had difficulty matching had they been US grads. There is a reason why y'all are plastered with admonitions to remain studious.

Last edited:
For the UQ-Ochsner cohort alone it was 25/28 or just over 89%. Click on the article link on the MedEdPath residency match results page.

For the UQ-Ochsner cohort alone it was 25/28 or just over 89%. Click on the article link on the MedEdPath residency match results page.

Yes but now theres like 150-200 people in the cohort who have not gone through the match. That sample size was really small.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see next year's outcomes.

Is anyone aware of the acceptance rate?

That osteopathic matriculation average has to do with D.Os going for allopathic residencies. D.Os can apply to both M.D and D.O residencies. D.O residencies offer the "super specialty residencies" in addition to the common residency paths. D.Os match much more often and in better specialties, on average, than IMGs. Lol 79% -_-. You have got to use common sense. M.D > D.O > IMG for U.S residencies. This notion has existed on SDN for a reason. Click on any D.O school and you will see the D.O match rate average is always right near 100%. Mind you, D.O and M.D residencies are paying at the same rate. It seems like you are just ill-informed on what D.O actually is. A D.O with all else being equal, will have priority over an IMG from ANY program EVERY time in the U.S. Excluding hospitals who are affiliated with non U.S schools (like Ochsners New Orleans hospital). Don't mix this up and spread false information... My source is every D.O school website page. They all have higher match rates than Ochsner.
I wouldn't presume what I know or don't know, newb.

I was reporting on Match (NRMP) rates, just as it was reported by the NRMP, that is all. So get over yourself and stop the inane (not to mention verbose) imputations.

I'm not going to spend 300k (before interest) on a 10% gamble when I can spend 200k (before interest) on a 0% gamble Yes, I'm not considering individual effort here. But I'm mainly here for the potential life-experience and I just don't see how its worth it if really only 85% of Ochsner graduates are getting residencies in the U.S and the rest are stuck 200k in debt.
If this is your view, I would suggest that neither Ochsner, nor any Australian med school, is for you.

Australian schools mainly attract Americans w/ the following motivation:
1) No, or at best ambivalent, interest in returning to the US.
2) Those who couldn't get into an American allopathic school, and either couldn't get into a DO school or had their own reasons (e.g., perceived stigma) for not wanting to go DO.
3) Those who are confidently endowed (along with having a romantic streak, e.g., putting a high price on adventure), such that they are not swayed by a mildly-less-than-equivalent match statistic.

Last edited:
I wouldn't presume what I know or don't know, newb.

I was reporting on Match (NRMP) rates, just as it was reported by the NRMP, that is all. So get over yourself and stop the inane (not to mention verbose) imputations.
Hope this might help assuage your concerns (from earlier in the thread):

Thanks for your feedback Busoni.

Pitman: Not exactly a verbose response but okay. Just saying, it's important not to mix this stuff up for potential applicants who are viewing this thread. I think you can agree with that. The intended message of your post is that IMGs match more often than D.Os in U.S. This is incorrect, so i'm going to call you out on it. Don't like "newbs" correcting you? Don't post incorrect information.

Looks like you could benefit from viewing this
thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...udents-fare-similarly-in-acgme-match.1044742/

Last edited: