UQ-Ochsner 2017 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received an acceptance today

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone so far today. Probably time to start a class facebook page for those who accept a seat. BTW, who interviewed on April 14th in person? Any updates from our group?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm down to join a Facebook group. Def going here unless I get off the waitlist at a domestic MD school. Still this place sounds super dope! Really excited to meet cool new people :)

I'm planning to accept and am up for joining a Fb group as well. Would be cool to do some regional meet-ups once more people accept offers, like they did last year, too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to those accepted. Do you mind sharing your stats? I am preparing for my interview right now for May 13th.

Accepted as well! If there is a group on facebook in place could someone link me? I didn't find anything for 2017-2021 atm.

Received an offer yesterday! I will accept. I was also looking for a Facebook group... I don't think there is one yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a long time lurker who was freaking out when I saw all you get offers and I wasn't hearing a peep..but I got an offer this morning! I am so excited!! Unless I get pulled off a waitlist I am definitely attending

Reactions: 4 users
My interview is tomorrow, via Skype. Any pointers? Do you know if you can have notes on the side or on screen during the interview?

My interview is tomorrow, via Skype. Any pointers? Do you know if you can have notes on the side or on screen during the interview?

I interviewed in person but you are supposed to treat the Skype interview the exact same, so I would say no notes. It would be pretty obvious if you were looking at notes to answer questions. Refer to this link: http://mededpath.org/faq_private.html

No notes allowed. You cannot ask questions. Make sure to look into the camera. Provide relevant life experiences when answering. Be yourself.

Thanks for the input. I think the interview went well. Hopefully, I will hear good new in 6-8 weeks.

What have most students done for the 8-week observation between Y1 and Y2? Do they do split it 4&4 and is it hard to get the weeks you want or can only so many students get certain weeks?

Congrats to people who already got in! I have been looking at these threads for quite a while, and now that I set my dates for the interview, I wanted to ask a few questions. I have seen the video, but how's the skype interview really like? Is it conversational? Or do interviewers passively listen to your answers? What kind of questions did you guys get for each domain? Is it straight forward or a bit tricky? Thanks!

Congrats to people who already got in! I have been looking at these threads for quite a while, and now that I set my dates for the interview, I wanted to ask a few questions. I have seen the video, but how's the skype interview really like? Is it conversational? Or do interviewers passively listen to your answers? What kind of questions did you guys get for each domain? Is it straight forward or a bit tricky? Thanks!

First of all we sign a non-disclosure agreement and cannot discuss the specific content of the interview.

You are simultaneously interviewed by two people. They alternate asking questions. You cannot ask questions and cannot reference notes. They do not comment on your answers so I would not classify it as conversational. I read a piece of advice somewhere on this forum that served me well. Provide as many relevant life experiences as you can when answering questions. I would say it is straight forward. Remember that it is not their job to make things difficult. They just want to find out more about you. Use it as an opportunity to speak about yourself and your experiences.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with e36, the best advice is use as many examples as you can think of when answering your questions. It's not conversational but you may get one or two follow up questions based on your responses, but that really depends on who your interviewers are.

That guy to girl ratio in the fb group though. 10:1 haha

Honestly the best advice I can give you is to watch the required pre-interview videos. It literately states what is expected of your during the interview. Listen to what the doctor says and think of examples that relate. We did sign a non-disclosure document so I can't say more than thought. But why would that video lie about what's on the interview. It's very straightforward.
Honest

For the people who have already been accepted..have you all put down your deposit yet?

For the people who have already been accepted..have you all put down your deposit yet?

I have.

You can also find less expensive OSHC through https://oshcaustralia.com.au/en

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I have as well. Also bought a nib policy through this site. It is much cheaper. They emailed the coverage certificate the same day. Pay using a credit card without foreign transaction fees and save some more :)

Hi everyone, I have been lurking on this thread for a while now. I have been accepted as well. I interviewed in mid April and got my acceptance this morning. Honestly, I was surprised that I received an offer this quickly, its only been about a month. Regardless, I am highly considering attending UQ-Ochsner. I have spent the last two years navigating my way through state-side med school applications, have been on waitlists for a while and with no luck state-side I am considering the IMG route now. I have been accepted to SGU and UQ-Ochsner now for the upcoming academic year. I know SGU carries the stigma of a Caribbean school while UQ-Ochsner at least is gaining reputation with every graduating class. At the same time, my goal is to return to NYC to an EM residency. What steers me away from SGU more than anything else is the attrition and enormous class size, at the same time they are affiliated with some great hospitals in NYC (one of which I hope to do my residency in). I am at a serious crossroads, deep down I was hoping for this acceptance, now I dunno, I am weighing my options and hopes for my future 4 years from now. Sorry for the rant, I guess what I am asking is despite the vast difference in attrition between the two schools, knowing that I would like to eventually return to NYC (specifically for EM), if not during residency, then definitely during my career after residency, does UQ-Ochsner afford me that much better of an opportunity than SGU?

Hi everyone, I have been lurking on this thread for a while now. I have been accepted as well. I interviewed in mid April and got my acceptance this morning. Honestly, I was surprised that I received an offer this quickly, its only been about a month. Regardless, I am highly considering attending UQ-Ochsner. I have spent the last two years navigating my way through state-side med school applications, have been on waitlists for a while and with no luck state-side I am considering the IMG route now. I have been accepted to SGU and UQ-Ochsner now for the upcoming academic year. I know SGU carries the stigma of a Caribbean school while UQ-Ochsner at least is gaining reputation with every graduating class. At the same time, my goal is to return to NYC to an EM residency. What steers me away from SGU more than anything else is the attrition and enormous class size, at the same time they are affiliated with some great hospitals in NYC (one of which I hope to do my residency in). I am at a serious crossroads, deep down I was hoping for this acceptance, now I dunno, I am weighing my options and hopes for my future 4 years from now. Sorry for the rant, I guess what I am asking is despite the vast difference in attrition between the two schools, knowing that I would like to eventually return to NYC (specifically for EM), if not during residency, then definitely during my career after residency, does UQ-Ochsner afford me that much better of an opportunity than SGU?

I would be hesitant to hold such a specific goal as an IMG regardless of which school you attend. Quickly looking at the last few years of match data from UQ-O there was only one who ended up in NYC. Not sure about SGU.

I vote UQ-O over SGU

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile

I would be hesitant to hold such a specific goal as an IMG regardless of which school you attend. Quickly looking at the last few years of match data from UQ-O there was only one who ended up in NYC. Not sure about SGU.

Yeah, SGU has produced more NYC residents than UQ. I'm not sure if I should chalk that up to a much higher SGU enrollment or not, or the fact that UQ-Ochsner is such a new program. I do want to return to NYC eventually, whether that is for residency or as an attending, at this point I would like to have some assurance that I can at least work as an attending in a NYC ER if I work hard enough. Here is another question, I have heard in some past SDN UQ threads that there were some problems gaining a residency in NYC for UQ-Ochsner students. Is that still a problem? Or can UQ-Ochsner students gain a NYC residency now? Looking at the match lists over the last few years, I saw one student get an Anesthesiology residency at SUNY-Downstate. If I'm not mistaken, last year a student got a Boston University EM residency. All I know is that I want to do EM as close to NYC as possible. At the end of the day, these are just hopes, I'm well aware that as an IMG I must temper my expectations but if I choose one international school over another, I'd just like to know whether or not that schools gives me a better shot at the lofty goals I've set for myself.

Last edited:
Yeah, SGU has produced more NYC residents than UQ. I'm not sure if I should chalk that up to a much higher SGU enrollment or not, or the fact that UQ-Ochsner is such a new program. I do want to return to NYC eventually, whether that is for residency or as an attending, at this point I would like to have some assurance that I can at least work as an attending in a NYC ER if I work hard enough. Here is another question, I have heard in some past SDN UQ threads that there were some problems gaining a residency in NYC for UQ-Ochsner students. Is that still a problem? Or can UQ-Ochsner students gain a NYC residency now? Looking at the match lists over the last few years, I saw one student get a Surgery residency at SUNY-Downstate. If I'm not mistaken, last year a student got a Boston University EM residency. All I know is that I want to do EM as close to NYC as possible.
I read somewhere i forgot what fourm that UQ-O grads can practice in all 49 states ( except NY) but the post was from a few years ago things can be different now.

Yeah, SGU has produced more NYC residents than UQ. I'm not sure if I should chalk that up to a much higher SGU enrollment or not, or the fact that UQ-Ochsner is such a new program. I do want to return to NYC eventually, whether that is for residency or as an attending, at this point I would like to have some assurance that I can at least work as an attending in a NYC ER if I work hard enough. Here is another question, I have heard in some past SDN UQ threads that there were some problems gaining a residency in NYC for UQ-Ochsner students. Is that still a problem? Or can UQ-Ochsner students gain a NYC residency now? Looking at the match lists over the last few years, I saw one student get a Surgery residency at SUNY-Downstate. If I'm not mistaken, last year a student got a Boston University EM residency. All I know is that I want to do EM as close to NYC as possible. At the end of the day, these are just hopes, I'm well aware that as an IMG I must temper my expectations but if I choose one international school over another, I'd just like to know whether or not that schools gives me a better shot at the lofty goals I've set for myself.

CA was taken care of in 2014 with the MBC and I remember previous posts mentioning the NY was still on the horizon at that time. I personally don't think it will be a problem for you. Perhaps, call MEP or NYSED to clarify and follow us up here.

I read somewhere i forgot what fourm that UQ-O grads can practice in all 49 states ( except NY) but the post was from a few years ago things can be different now.

So, obviously practicing in NYC is a big thing for me, getting residency in NYC is even bigger. Mededpath says all 50 states are eligible: http://www.mededpath.org/state_licensing.html Is that wrong? I'm guessing if a student was able to get a SUNY-Downstate residency a couple of years ago, we are licensed to practice in NYC. I'd like to stay in NYC, if I can stay around Philly or Boston, that'd be great too. Again, I know attending UQ, I'd still be an IMG as in SGU. What attracts me to UQ over SGU is the cohort size and the attrition rate, even as an IMG.

Last edited:
So, obviously practicing in NYC is a big thing for me, getting residency in NYC is even bigger. Mededpath says all 50 states are eligible: http://www.mededpath.org/state_licensing.html Is that wrong? I'm guessing if a student was able to get a SUNY-Downstate residency a couple of years ago, we are licensed to practice in NYC. I'd like to stay in NYC, if I can stay around Philly or Boston, that'd be great too. Again, I know attending UQ, I'd still be an IMG as in SGU. What attracts me to UQ over SGU is the cohort size and the attrition rate, even as an IMG.
Give NYSED a call and ask them to be on the safe side. I mean thats what i would do.

Give NYSED a call and ask them to be on the safe side. I mean thats what i would do.

Just called NYSED, should've known what a waste it is with the famous NYS red tape. Basically, after on hold with 3 different depts, at NYSED they just told me "it depends on the residency you apply to." I tried calling MEdedpath but they all ask to just leave a message. Will call MEd tmr morning and update this thread I guess.

I would think that at this time it might be harder for a UQ-O student to get a residency in New York since a lot of the Caribbean medical schools have partnerships with hospitals in NY, but if you shine at Ochsner while doing your clinicals, I know that they will go up to bat for you and vouch that you are awesome.

Overall, UQ-O is better just because you are in the states for 2 years and you have clinicians who are getting to know you for those two years, if you make connections they will help you!

I have known a couple of people personally who went to the caribbean, did rotations in NY and were able to successfully match into residency there. I think it comes down to how hard you work during med school and how well you perform on the boards. I personally chose UQ-O because of some of the horror caribbean stories I've heard (unorganized rotations, professor issues, failing out, lack of research opportunities) and I want to end up back in Louisiana for years 3-4 and maybe even residency. It was a tough decision for me because of UQ-O's tuition but ultimately I decided it was worth it because this program is affiliated with a well known medical school and teaching hospital.

I would think that at this time it might be harder for a UQ-O student to get a residency in New York since a lot of the Caribbean medical schools have partnerships with hospitals in NY, but if you shine at Ochsner while doing your clinicals, I know that they will go up to bat for you and vouch that you are awesome.

Overall, UQ-O is better just because you are in the states for 2 years and you have clinicians who are getting to know you for those two years, if you make connections they will help you!

You are also in the states for your clinical years at SGU and most of these hospitals are in NYC, just to clarify.

Yeah, SGU has produced more NYC residents than UQ. I'm not sure if I should chalk that up to a much higher SGU enrollment or not, or the fact that UQ-Ochsner is such a new program. I do want to return to NYC eventually, whether that is for residency or as an attending, at this point I would like to have some assurance that I can at least work as an attending in a NYC ER if I work hard enough. Here is another question, I have heard in some past SDN UQ threads that there were some problems gaining a residency in NYC for UQ-Ochsner students. Is that still a problem? Or can UQ-Ochsner students gain a NYC residency now? Looking at the match lists over the last few years, I saw one student get a Surgery residency at SUNY-Downstate. If I'm not mistaken, last year a student got a Boston University EM residency. All I know is that I want to do EM as close to NYC as possible. At the end of the day, these are just hopes, I'm well aware that as an IMG I must temper my expectations but if I choose one international school over another, I'd just like to know whether or not that schools gives me a better shot at the lofty goals I've set for myself.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I think I'm leaning more towards SGU. My friend's boyfriend just graduated from SGU and matched at Mt. Sinai in anesthesiology. He told me most of the students who fail out are the ones who didn't really want to be there in the first place or were pretty much forced into the med school route by their parents. Also I know that the professors at SGU pretty much tell you what you'll be tested on, so, at least for me, that's a huge plus.

Received an acceptance offer this morning :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how full the cohort usually gets at this point in the application season?

Quick question about matching from UQ-O. In the 2016 match, 55 applied and 51 matched, a match rate of 93%. This sounds pretty good but there is 100 students in the 4th year class. So are 45 students not even bothering to apply for the match?

In 2015, 25 of 28 who applied match, 91%. Sounds good until the fact that there was 63 students in the 4th year class in 2015. So over half the class do not even apply. So it seems like the real match rates are 51% for 2016 and 40% for 2015. Im pretty sure Caribbean schools have better match rates than that. Why does half the class at UQ-O not match?

This is just speculation on my part, but I think a lot of students choose to wait a year or two strengthening their applications with research before applying to some of the more super competitive specialties like ortho and urology, so some of them might not apply straight away after graduation. I'm sure there are also a handful of students who choose to stay in Australia for whatever reason. Someone who is currently in the program has a better idea for the reasons people choose to not enter the match than I do, but this is just my guess. Same thing with the Caribbean, there are people that just don't choose to practice in the US, whether that is Canadians entering their own country's match or other internationals that choose to go to the Caribbean and return to their home countries. The point is of those who do enter the match from UQ-O, the rates of success seem pretty fantastic.

Edit: Something else that just occurred to me, I assume students that choose the dual MD/PHD pathway are included in the cohort. They'd be finishing after those that finish the MD pathway so the MD/PHD students would still be on the roster but either applying later for the match or maybe never at all (instead choosing a research career)?

Last edited: