UQ-Ochsner 2017 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They been increasing class sizes up to a max cohort of 120. Those classes that matched had very few attrition. Those match rates of 90% + are accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question about matching from UQ-O. In the 2016 match, 55 applied and 51 matched, a match rate of 93%. This sounds pretty good but there is 100 students in the 4th year class. So are 45 students not even bothering to apply for the match
You're off by a year -- there were only 63 in that class as of March last year:
https://news.ochsner.org/news-relea...cal-school-graduates-participate-in-match-day

In 2015, 25 of 28 who applied match, 91%. Sounds good until the fact that there was 63 students in the 4th year class in 2015. So over half the class do not even apply. So it seems like the real match rates are 51% for 2016 and 40% for 2015. Im pretty sure Caribbean schools have better match rates than that. Why does half the class at UQ-O not match?

You're off by a year here, too. There were only something like 34 in that class. I think you're probably confusing the fact that Australian (and thus Ocshner) school years end in November/December. An easy solution for Internet pundits is not to presume but to seek clarification.

While there are a lot of reasons why students wouldn't be in the Match, with self-selection always a statistical issue when interpreting results, it would be strange to require all those not applying to be part of any acceptance rate. Such would make any match rate completely uninterpretable, convoluting for example school attrition rates, decisions to delay doing residency including PhD candidates, those who go to Australia (starting internship months earlier than the Match) or another country for postgrad training, and anyone who has decided not to apply their medical degree to clinical medicine.

Aside from two who started internship in Australia, I don't know these numbers for last year's class. Obviously 93% acceptance rate must be considered in context, but any acceptance rate, like USMLE 'pass' rate, must be based on those who actually took part, as was reported, if it is to have any meaning at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So, obviously practicing in NYC is a big thing for me, getting residency in NYC is even bigger. Mededpath says all 50 states are eligible: http://www.mededpath.org/state_licensing.html Is that wrong? I'm guessing if a student was able to get a SUNY-Downstate residency a couple of years ago, we are licensed to practice in NYC. I'd like to stay in NYC, if I can stay around Philly or Boston, that'd be great too. Again, I know attending UQ, I'd still be an IMG as in SGU. What attracts me to UQ over SGU is the cohort size and the attrition rate, even as an IMG.

Hi there. I'm a first year at UQ-O. As far as I know, we still cannot do residency in NY (but the paperwork is being taken care of now and its just a matter of time, I think within a year it should be sorted). We can do residency in every other state. That being said, I would go to UQ-O over SGU but I'm biased since I'm here. It's an awesome place and in my opinion carries less stigma than SGU. I don't think you should pick a school based on location of residency 4 years down the line, you can always return to work in NY after residency as we are fully accredited by all 50 states for licensure. There are no guarantees as to residency field or location so I would choose based on the strength of the school. Not to mention theres a ton of opportunity for you to get involved in EM research here. You might also change your mind after 3rd and 4th year rotations. So much can happen between starting school and residency, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, obviously practicing in NYC is a big thing for me, getting residency in NYC is even bigger. Mededpath says all 50 states are eligible: http://www.mededpath.org/state_licensing.html Is that wrong? I'm guessing if a student was able to get a SUNY-Downstate residency a couple of years ago, we are licensed to practice in NYC. I'd like to stay in NYC, if I can stay around Philly or Boston, that'd be great too. Again, I know attending UQ, I'd still be an IMG as in SGU. What attracts me to UQ over SGU is the cohort size and the attrition rate, even as an IMG.

I am interested in practicing in NY too but you can't pick based on that. Once you finish med school, you can do residency in any state and get an attending position in NY with the help of your mentor. Also by the time you graduate, everything can change. NY may choose not to take students from Caribbean school, unlikely but it can happen. So go to a school where you will get the best education, where you will be prepared for the Step exams the best, and where you don't mind spending 2-3 years.

I am applying to UQ-O and also have applied to Ireland and Carribean. I am waiting for my decision at UQ-O before finalizing anything. I would choose UQ-O over other options because the support they have for their students and rotations in the US. I know I may not get a chance to come back to NY directly but I can eventually return once I am trained in my field.

So take your time making the best decision for you. Good Luck

Congrats to everyone getting accepted! Im a long time lurker- I've been really interested in this program for a while and am hoping to apply for the 2017 cycle, but am not taking my mcat until mid july. Will all the seats be filled up by then? How late were people getting accepted last year?

Congrats to everyone getting accepted! Im a long time lurker- I've been really interested in this program for a while and am hoping to apply for the 2017 cycle, but am not taking my mcat until mid july. Will all the seats be filled up by then? How late were people getting accepted last year?

July is pushing it. Class filled in September last year and anyone who got in after that got in off the waitlist once others turned their seats down. I would venture to guess that the class would fill up sooner this year. Best advice I can give you is to not rush the MCAT, take it when you are ready, and if that isn't until July then so be it, but be prepared to wait until 2018 for this program then.

July is pushing it. Class filled in September last year and anyone who got in after that got in off the waitlist once others turned their seats down. I would venture to guess that the class would fill up sooner this year. Best advice I can give you is to not rush the MCAT, take it when you are ready, and if that isn't until July then so be it, but be prepared to wait until 2018 for this program then.

Ugh not what I wanted to hear. But thanks for the reply

Thanks for the advice everyone, after weighing my options and my potential opportunities with this program 4 years from now, I have decided to accept my offer with UQ-O. Although the logistics are tough, moving to Australia and all, I think it is worth it, it does seem to be the best opportunity outside of the US right next to the likes of a program like Sackler. I look forward to seeing a lot of you down there. I joined the temporary Facebook group (from what I understand an official Facebook group will be set up closer to the end of the cycle once some more people join the cohort). Good luck to all of those who have applied and are waiting for an acceptance, hope all of you can join us!

Reactions: 2 users
Had my interview on 5/13 and am anxious to hear back,especially since my MCAT is not that competitive. UQ-Ochsner is one of my top choices.
Does anyone know of anyone who didn't get in? And why they didn't?
Also, has anyone from 5/12 interview batch heard anything?

Thanks!

Longtime lurker, but I received my acceptance last week!

I'm also going to the "Meet the resident" thing tonight and was going to ask more about financing the program, why the resident chose the program and what changes she's seen during her four years. Are there any other questions you think I should ask?

I'm also going to the "Meet the resident" thing tonight and was going to ask more about financing the program, why the resident chose the program and what changes she's seen during her four years. Are there any other questions you think I should ask?
Congrats future Dr! Must feel great
When was your interview?

Congrats future Dr! Must feel great
When was your interview?
Thanks!
It was March 14th, via Skype. Totally forgot to talk about my volunteering an shadowing experiences and instead talked about my research and leadership, but it turned out okay.

Thanks!
It was March 14th, via Skype. Totally forgot to talk about my volunteering an shadowing experiences and instead talked about my research and leadership, but it turned out okay.
I feel the same about the interview. I felt great coming out and had a good two hours of adrenaline! But then I remembered that I didn't even talk about my research experience.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations and lets us know how the meet & greet go

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile

I had my interview on May 13th, via Skype. I just received my acceptance to UQ-Ochsner SOM.

Gahh, feel like I got thrown a couple curve-balls but answered most questions well. Really should have listened to the advice to do the interview in person, there is definitely something about the Skype interviews... At least for me. Fingers crossed.

Gahh, feel like I got thrown a couple curve-balls but answered most questions well. Really should have listened to the advice to do the interview in person, there is definitely something about the Skype interviews... At least for me. Fingers crossed.

Hey, I came out of my Skype interview feeling awkward as hell. I spent the next week dissecting every second of my interview, kicking myself for not going down to NOLA, and just overall feeling super unsure of myself, don't fret. It worked out great for me and I am sure it will for you. If there is something valuable I have learned from the whole pre-med process whether it's doing well in your classes, scoring well on the MCAT, or performing well on your interviews, it is this...you are your worst critic. Take the good with the bad and hope for the best, believe it or not, most of the time you will surprise even yourself. Good Luck!

Hey, I came out of my Skype interview feeling awkward as hell. I spent the next week dissecting every second of my interview, kicking myself for not going down to NOLA, and just overall feeling super unsure of myself, don't fret. It worked out great for me and I am sure it will for you. If there is something valuable I have learned from the whole pre-med process whether it's doing well in your classes, scoring well on the MCAT, or performing well on your interviews, it is this...you are your worst critic. Take the good with the bad and hope for the best, believe it or not, most of the time you will surprise even yourself. Good Luck!

That pretty much describes exactly how I felt. Thanks for the advice man. Hopefully applying somewhat early will work in my favor. I imagine the tuition hike has created some pressure to fill the seats up asap... UQ, if you are listening, I will be the bestest doctor ever. I promise!

Reactions: 3 users
That pretty much describes exactly how I felt. Thanks for the advice man. Hopefully applying somewhat early will work in my favor. I imagine the tuition hike has created some pressure to fill the seats up asap... UQ, if you are listening, I will be the bestest doctor ever. I promise!

"bestest," we need him/her asap. UQ, send this man/woman an offer.

Congratulations and lets us know how the meet & greet go

So here's what I learned:

1) USMLE support
The program is offering a bunch of online resources during Y1/2 to supplement individual USMLE study. The full list is on their informational powerpoint, but most are from the Becker eCoach program. The resident said that because lecture schedules are flexible (or something) it allowed a lot of time for independent study.

2)Financing the program
The resident and advisor didn't have many answers here, the advisor just said that UQ is recognized by US federal student aid (i.e. FAFSA) and there are loan programs available in Brisbane. I think there's another thread floating around that also references getting loans.

3) Living in Brisbane/NOLA
The advisor said that the academic environment in Brisbane is different from the US because they emphasize a more "group oriented" approach as opposed to competitively pitting students against each other. The resident didn't follow up on that comment, but said she loved that her cohort was such a tight-knit community, and the student advocacy group is a big part of helping students in the program support each other. One example was outgoing students housing students coming to NOLA before they found places of their own.

On the note of housing: the advisor said that MedEd will be hosting receptions for students who have sent a deposit so they can get together and chat/figure out living situations before moving to Brisbane.

4) Changes to the Program?
I asked what changes the resident has seen to the program in the past four years, and how they have affected her experience. She said that more resources are being added, mostly due to the influence of the student advocacy group. The advisor also mentioned that there are new resources like a residency boot camp (I'm not sure what that means), and a possible removal of the last week of australia rotations.

5) Dual degrees and research
UQO provides an opportunity to do research, but they apparently don't provide funding for it. The MS is an "integrated" program, you have to complete your research on your own time during Y1/2. If you choose to do the MD/PhD, you step out of the Ochsner program after Y2 and pay for your own PhD before completing Y3/4 in NOLA.

6) Grading/Exams
Courses are graded on the Australian scale of 1-7, with 7 being the top score. The advisor said they might be integrating a new exam schedule to include shelf exams at the end of each year.

7) Residency Applications
The resident said that going to UQO definitely made her stand out, because transplanting yourself to a new country builds a resilient character that is needed in a doctor. She emphasized that following up with interviews and reaching out to residency programs was essential, because program directors are really interested in the UQO education and stats, but don't always know what it is (since it's still new).

8) Why the tuition increase?
My deciding factor for UQO has been the tuition tbh, for 2016 it was $64,240 and for 2017 it's ~$67,500. The tuition is indexed, so the price goes up every year. The resident reported that she had tuition increases, and the advisor said they're not more than 4% per year. She said the increase was due to the fees from switching from a MBBS to MD program, but that still doesn't make sense to me.

9) Why did the resident choose UQO?
He personal reason for UQO was because she loved that she could study medicine in two different places. She didn't study abroad in undergrad and regretted it, but was absolutely thrilled by her experiences in Brisbane and NOLA. Several of the friends she made in Brisbane were also international students (mostly from Canada) and she also recommended the Haiti program, which is supported by the student advocacy group.

Hopefully this was helpful, and I managed to respect the privacy of the resident and advisor.

Reactions: 4 users

1) USMLE support
The program is offering a bunch of online resources during Y1/2 to supplement individual USMLE study. The full list is on their informational powerpoint, but most are from the Becker eCoach program. The resident said that because lecture schedules are flexible (or something) it allowed a lot of time for independent study.

2)Financing the program
The resident and advisor didn't have many answers here, the advisor just said that UQ is recognized by US federal student aid (i.e. FAFSA) and there are loan programs available in Brisbane. I think there's another thread floating around that also references getting loans.

The advisor said that the academic environment in Brisbane is different from the US because they emphasize a more "group oriented" approach as opposed to competitively pitting students against each other. The resident didn't follow up on that comment, but said she loved that her cohort was such a tight-knit community, and the student advocacy group is a big part of helping students in the program support each other. One example was outgoing students housing students coming to NOLA before they found places of their own.

On the note of housing: the advisor said that MedEd will be hosting receptions for students who have sent a deposit so they can get together and chat/figure out living situations before moving to Brisbane.

I asked what changes the resident has seen to the program in the past four years, and how they have affected her experience. She said that more resources are being added, mostly due to the influence of the student advocacy group. The advisor also mentioned that there are new resources like a residency boot camp (I'm not sure what that means), and a possible removal of the last week of australia rotations.

UQO provides an opportunity to do research, but they apparently don't provide funding for it. The MS is an "integrated" program, you have to complete your research on your own time during Y1/2. If you choose to do the MD/PhD, you step out of the Ochsner program after Y2 and pay for your own PhD before completing Y3/4 in NOLA.

6) Grading/Exams
Courses are graded on the Australian scale of 1-7, with 7 being the top score. The advisor said they might be integrating a new exam schedule to include shelf exams at the end of each year.

The resident said that going to UQO definitely made her stand out, because transplanting yourself to a new country builds a resilient character that is needed in a doctor. She emphasized that following up with interviews and reaching out to residency programs was essential, because program directors are really interested in the UQO education and stats, but don't always know what it is (since it's still new).

My deciding factor for UQO has been the tuition tbh, for 2016 it was $64,240 and for 2017 it's ~$67,500. The tuition is indexed, so the price goes up every year. The resident reported that she had tuition increases, and the advisor said they're not more than 4% per year. She said the increase was due to the fees from switching from a MBBS to MD program, but that still doesn't make sense to me.

He personal reason for UQO was because she loved that she could study medicine in two different places. She didn't study abroad in undergrad and regretted it, but was absolutely thrilled by her experiences in Brisbane and NOLA. Several of the friends she made in Brisbane were also international students (mostly from Canada) and she also recommended the Haiti program, which is supported by the student advocacy group.

Hopefully this was helpful, and I managed to respect the privacy of the resident and advisor.

Thank you for the helpful information. I am wondering when would the reception, hosted by MedEd, take place and where. I am working on getting the deposit together, but it will take some time.

I had my interview on May 13th, via Skype. I just received my acceptance to UQ-Ochsner SOM.

Congrats on getting in! That was quite a fast response! I also interviewed on May 13th in person and am wondering when they're going to send me an email. Growing anxious since it's one of my top choices!

Congrats on getting in! That was quite a fast response! I also interviewed on May 13th in person and am wondering when they're going to send me an email. Growing anxious since it's one of my top choices!

I hope you hear good news in a couple of days.

for those who bought an NIB policy instead of going through UQ for health insurance - what dates did you put in for coverage?
can we get coverage for just the first two years now, and then do the however many weeks in year 4 later on?

1) USMLE support

2)Financing the program

6) Grading/Exams

First year here, just to add to this, for USMLE, besides free Becker online resources we are also given a free copy of first aid, a Becker live eCoach several Saturdays over the semester and 2nd year run USMLE tutorials every week. We also have discounted usmleRx qBanks and discounted firecracker qBanks? Maybe. The M.D. program is now in its second year, so last year was definitely a bit of a learning phase as they switched over from MBBS, but overall they have continuously tried to make improvements to the curriculum each year by listening to student feedback. I know just from talking to second years that some of our modules were way better and the timeline made more sense in terms of what was being taught and when. I know that pathology is being taught differently, same with ethics, same with the research class. So they do try and make improvements year to year.

The Ochsner class is pretty tight knit because everyone came across the world not knowing anyone and you make really good friends as a result.

Several of the friends she made in Brisbane were also international students (mostly from Canada) and she also recommended the Haiti program, which is supported by the student advocacy group.
What's the Haiti program? Does it have anything to do with Hopital Albert Schweitzer there?

What's the Haiti program? Does it have anything to do with Hopital Albert Schweitzer there?

@pitman I think it is just a medical mission trip type thing that you can do (I remember they briefly mentioned it at my interview). But as a first year, I don't know much about it. I think it's probably something available to older students.

for those who bought an NIB policy instead of going through UQ for health insurance - what dates did you put in for coverage?
can we get coverage for just the first two years now, and then do the however many weeks in year 4 later on?

This info is in the "How to Accept Your Offer" pdf that is sent. It states that you need coverage that spans the length of your visa. January 1, 2017 through March 31, 2021.

The school will provide info on how to apply for a refund for the unused second half.

1) USMLE support

2)Financing the program

6) Grading/Exams

Awesome info. Thanks a lot!

With regards to the tuition... they just want more $$$. Foreign students end up subsidizing locals and the money is guaranteed by the US federal government. Essentially, they have no incentive to keep costs in check. It's the same idea here. No reason to keep the tuition reasonable because the money just keeps coming in. It's very troubling but there is no other way to advance your education. It's a business.

Awesome info. Thanks a lot!

With regards to the tuition... they just want more $$$. Foreign students end up subsidizing locals and the money is guaranteed by the US federal government. Essentially, they have no incentive to keep costs in check. It's the same idea here. No reason to keep the tuition reasonable because the money just keeps coming in. It's very troubling but there is no other way to advance your education. It's a business.

2nd year UQ-O student here. You definitely hit the nail on the head.

To all the student accepted and coming to Australia soon, good luck. You are going to need it.

On the upside, I hear that as bad as UQ is organized and run that, phase 2 (New Orleans) is completely the opposite; run very well. Can't wait to leave UQ's clutches.

I am beginning to get all the documents and payments together. They require all students take a First Aid certification before classes start. What is everyone doing? I was looking at First Aid/CPR/AED thru the American Red Cross but I don't think they cover everything from the list sent by Ms. Hudson. I could use some help finishing this up fast.

I am beginning to get all the documents and payments together. They require all students take a First Aid certification before classes start. What is everyone doing? I was looking at First Aid/CPR/AED thru the American Red Cross but I don't think they cover everything from the list sent by Ms. Hudson. I could use some help finishing this up fast.

Where did you hear about the first aid certification requirement? Was it on the initial acceptance packet that Alex sent?

I've heard the Red Cross or the AHA courses fulfill the requirements as long as you take one that covers adult and peds for first aid, cpr, and aed. Many students last year took courses offered by these organizations. I believe even the online hybrid course is acceptable as long as there is an exam at the end. They offer these courses several times a week in most cities. Just send a copy of the course description to MEP and verify that the course you want to do fulfills UQs requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Where did you hear about the first aid certification requirement? Was it on the initial acceptance packet that Alex sent?

It is listed on the UQ admissions website, the how to accept pdf, and I believe the acceptance pdf.

I've heard the Red Cross or the AHA courses fulfill the requirements as long as you take one that covers adult and peds for first aid, cpr, and aed. Many students last year took courses offered by these organizations. I believe even the online hybrid course is acceptable as long as there is an exam at the end. They offer these courses several times a week in most cities. Just send a copy of the course description to MEP and verify that the course you want to do fulfills UQs requirements.

Thank you. I will sign up for it and get it out the way next week.

There are so many things we need to complete. Found out there is no medical school housing on campus, so we have to find apartments off campus which are in a reasonable distance. Anyone have an idea when MedEdPath holds their meeting regarding housing situation?

Thank you. I will sign up for it and get it out the way next week.

There are so many things we need to complete. Found out there is no medical school housing on campus, so we have to find apartments off campus which are in a reasonable distance. Anyone have an idea when MedEdPath holds their meeting regarding housing situation?

Yes lots to do! The current class is a big help, so join the Facebook groups. I've got a few places I'm looking at for housing now based on some recommendations.

Yes lots to do! The current class is a big help, so join the Facebook groups. I've got a few places I'm looking at for housing now based on some recommendations.

Which facebook group? UQ-Ochsner Class of 2020? Isn't this an unofficial group?

Which facebook group? UQ-Ochsner Class of 2020? Isn't this an unofficial group?

The 2020 UQ-O Facebook group is unofficial, however there are some links in it for other groups to join. Once the current class elects their class leaders, the new leadership will create/merge the group into an official one and provide many more resources for the entering class.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I noticed many people in the facebook group seem to be a bit older than many medical school students. Curious as to why this is?

Yeah, I noticed that few are freshly out of undergrad. I don't know stats on other previous years though.

Question: do any of you know anyone that has been rejected by UQO? I have my interview this week and was just curious since few have posted specifically about it.

I noticed many people in the facebook group seem to be a bit older than many medical school students. Curious as to why this is?

I haven't seen anything officially published regarding the demographic makeup of UQ-O vs other medical schools, although there is a general trend nationwide that adcoms are favoring non-traditional students with more experience over those right out of undergrad. During my visit to Ochsner for the interview, as well as my visits to other schools around the country, there have been a wide range of applicants, some just finishing UG and some with graduate degrees, work experience, and families. Keep in mind that we are still early in the acceptance cycle for UQ-O and there are only around 30 people that have joined the Facebook group (many of whom haven't been accepted to the program yet) out of a class size of 120.

When I went to the UQ-O seminar, the students need to do a mandatory volunteering activity, so some of the students chose to do this.

Online it says, the classes run from 8 am to 6 pm with 2 hr break in between. Any current students at UQ have a copy of their timetable/syllabus for the first semester, and don't mind sharing it? Thank you.

I'd also be interested in seeing this.

UQ did post the updated course list for students entering in 2017: https://www.uq.edu.au/study/program_list.html?acad_prog=5578&year=2017

I saw that. It's the same thing as the pdf of the curriculum. Clinical science 1 includes CPR (the physiology, anatomy, pharm, biochme, histo, patho, etc) you know, the good stuff.

I was looking more for the schedule for the students for everything in semester 1. What time is the class (which should be on the syllabus/timetable), what topics are taught each day, etc.

It would be good to have an idea of what to expect, because 8-6 is a long work day especially when they expect an additional 30 hrs/week of independent study along with it.

I saw that. It's the same thing as the pdf of the curriculum. Clinical science 1 includes CPR (the physiology, anatomy, pharm, biochme, histo, patho, etc) you know, the good stuff.

I was looking more for the schedule for the students for everything in semester 1. What time is the class (which should be on the syllabus/timetable), what topics are taught each day, etc.

It would be good to have an idea of what to expect, because 8-6 is a long work day especially when they expect an additional 30 hrs/week of independent study along with it.

I agree, and would like to see the daily schedule as well. From my understanding, there is an abundance of free time for self study and many students don't attend a lot of the lectures.

Hey,
How did you guys do the clinical school preference? I see on the How to Accept Your Offer that we need to complete this along with our deposit and other forms, but I can't seem to figure out where online we go to complete it.

Hey,
How did you guys do the clinical school preference? I see on the How to Accept Your Offer that we need to complete this along with our deposit and other forms, but I can't seem to figure out where online we go to complete it.
It's not up yet

Mailed my deposit today. Here we go

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile