UQ/Ochsner MBBS Program 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wonder what? It's a fee for a piece of paper, and then some. Those who are willing to pay to get US exposure, will. Students who are motivated will do the USMLE courses that the school will pay for, and pass the USMLE and get residency. Those who aren't, won't.

It's like any other Aussie program. They all charge high fees for int'ls. Int'ls can pay the fees or choose to go somewhere else, as determined by the market. Ochsner just has a niche by offering extensive US exposure and by willing to take a large number of its grads for residency.

Yes but as a fellow graduate of an Australian medical school you and I both know that the emphasis on the Basic Science education is to train you for clinical education in Australia not the US. You do not get any assistance from the school in USMLE preparation. Since they are charging students more money they should have the responsibility to guarantee that they are fully prepared for the USMLE.

I took the Step 1 in year 3 at USyd not year 2. I am certain that my clinical experience helped me to do well on it. I also had two winter breaks where I took USMLE prep courses in the USA.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes but as a fellow graduate of an Australian medical school you and I both know that the emphasis on the Basic Science education is to train you for clinical education in Australia not the US. You do not get any assistance from the school in USMLE preparation. Since they are charging students more money they should have the responsibility to guarantee that they are fully prepared for the USMLE.
You make it sound like that's some sort of secret privvy to only a select few.

We've been through this. NO Australian school prepares you for the USMLE. Sydney isn't far off with its tuition costs (so why the arbitrary line?), while Ochsner charges more not for USMLE prep -- while it will pay for tutor programs -- but for a lot more US clinicals and a sort of safety net in that they will be taking a number of their grads for residency. There's no way that UQ would be approved by the AMC to have a separate training pathway which tailors itself to the USMLE, and it won't do so for UQ as a whole just like other Australian schools won't. On the other hand, as part of the basic sciences revamp, it will like a number of other schools are doing add more basic science into its curriculum (actually it already has over the past 3-4 years, but will do so more formally in another year or two).

I have no strong opinion on the ethics of tuition prices, because students are joining Ochsner just as they dish out bucketloads to go somewhere like USyd -- students who feel it's worth the opportunity will pay for what the market allows. I do think it's unfortunate that students will be required to take the USMLE after 2nd year (before starting the Ochsner component), as med schools in the US do, but that's also probably why they require it then. Time will tell whether that allows for sufficient time and pays off.

You make it sound like that's some sort of secret privvy to only a select few.

We've been through this. NO Australian school prepares you for the USMLE. Sydney isn't far off with its tuition costs (so why the arbitrary line?), while Ochsner charges more not for USMLE prep -- while it will pay for tutor programs -- but for a lot more US clinicals and a sort of safety net in that they will be taking a number of their grads for residency. There's no way that UQ would be approved by the AMC to have a separate training pathway which tailors itself to the USMLE, and it won't do so for UQ as a whole just like other Australian schools won't. On the other hand, as part of the basic sciences revamp, it will like a number of other schools are doing add more basic science into its curriculum (actually it already has over the past 3-4 years, but will do so more formally in another year or two).

I have no strong opinion on the ethics of tuition prices, because students are joining Ochsner just as they dish out bucketloads to go somewhere like USyd -- students who feel it's worth the opportunity will pay for what the market allows. I do think it's unfortunate that students will be required to take the USMLE after 2nd year (before starting the Ochsner component), as med schools in the US do, but that's also probably why they require it then. Time will tell whether that allows for sufficient time and pays off.

Given the current curriculum I doubt it. Medical schools in Australia, at least the Grad Entry programs, excised much of the basic science education when they were undergraduate programs. Case in point is UNSW vs USyd., UNSW students seem to get a more thorough basic science education.

Also UQ Ochner is being marketed as a program that prepares medical students for the American system of clinical education, also with the extra fees they charge, they should provide more support to these students, adding something in the curriculum for USMLE prep.

Of course USyd is expensive but they are not marketed like UQ Ochsner.

Members don't see this ad :)
Their will be support from the uni in regards to USMLE prep BUT we just don't know exactly what it will be (rough draft we do know but not EXACTLY). Foreseeing that we might be let down, there are some keen soon-to-be-2nd-years that will put out weekly study groups to tutor the 1st years (and themselves) in what subjects to expect.

We have heard that we will have tutor groups in place for us by the beginning of next year but so far have heard zip on confirmation.

We are seeing the railroad being built in front of a moving train so to speak.

Given the current curriculum I doubt it.
You doubt what? You seem to be talking crap about things you don't know. Are you trying to claim that a number of the med schools including UQ and USyd aren't adding back more basic science since 3-4 years ago?

Of course USyd is expensive but they are not marketed like UQ Ochsner.
Again, you've chosen an arbitrary delineation -- USyd isn't marketed "like" UQ Ochsner? What are you talking about? Anything? Are you saying that UQ says, "Come to Ochsner, our program is tailored to the USMLE" any more than USyd is? Ochsner is offering something that USyd cannot (and either will deliver or not), and it charges more for it. USyd similarly doesn't claim to int'ls that its program is tailored to the USMLE, and it certainly can't claim it gives the opportunity to stay in Oz, so what is Ochsner omitting to say that USyd does not?

As usual, PacificBlue, your arguments lack uniqueness and instead demonstrate an arbitrary double standard. What people want are FACTS, not some silly allusions from the peanut gallery which is patronizing to those who are perfectly capable of weighing up the costs and benefits of Ochsner, or of ANY Australian program for that matter, including your own alma.

You doubt what? You seem to be talking crap about things you don't know. Are you trying to claim that a number of the med schools including UQ and USyd aren't adding back more basic science since 3-4 years ago?

Again, you've chosen an arbitrary delineation -- USyd isn't marketed "like" UQ Ochsner? What are you talking about? Anything? Are you saying that UQ says, "Come to Ochsner, our program is tailored to the USMLE" any more than USyd is? Ochsner is offering something that USyd cannot (and either will deliver or not), and it charges more for it. USyd similarly doesn't claim to int'ls that its program is tailored to the USMLE, and it certainly can't claim it gives the opportunity to stay in Oz, so what is Ochsner omitting to say that USyd does not?

As usual, PacificBlue, your arguments lack uniqueness and instead demonstrate an arbitrary double standard. What people want are FACTS, not some silly allusions from the peanut gallery which is patronizing to those who are perfectly capable of weighing up the costs and benefits of Ochsner, or of ANY Australian program for that matter, including your own alma.

Well UQ is using an American company to market the school, Mededpath or whatever its name and they advertise all over. USyd does not advertise neither does the regular University of Queensland program. UQ Ochsner offers clinical education in the US, and one requirement to finish clinical education in the US is a passing USMLE Step 1 score. If they are tailoring a program in such a way, and also charging more than the regular UQ course, I think they should offer some kind of extra thing in the curriculum to make sure students are prepared for the USMLE so they can go onto clinical education without any trouble.

I never saw USyd advertise or market their program in this manner, and they never claimed to be in the business of preparing students for the USMLE.

Absolutely its possible to do well on the USMLE and match into a US residency from an Aussie school, but it requires more self study.

And yes they have beefed up basic sciences quite a bit.

Oh yes, the company website says they offer students assistance with USMLE prep:
http://www.mededpath.org/usmle_prep.php

Last edited:
Well, I've got a more practical question. Do we have any sort of dress code we need to comply with? Shirt/tie to class, or what?

Well, I've got a more practical question. Do we have any sort of dress code we need to comply with? Shirt/tie to class, or what?

Dress code? Are you for real? You are going to be in Australia. The only dress code is for clinical days. I think UQ does it differently from Sydney, but on clinical days its pants, dress shirt, and a tie. For other days you wear whatever you want.

Obviously when you want to meet with a professor its advisable to look neat, and not wear Billabong and Thongs(Flip Flops).

Still its more liberal than US schools. I know at the school I nearly went to you needed white coats with the school insignia. In Australia, you only wear white coats in Anatomy, that is another thing, they do not use scrubs in Anatomy. You also need to wear closed shoes in Anatomy. I have also seen people get away with wearing shorts in Anatomy as well. But you do need a white coat or they will make you buy a disposable Apron at your expense. I also would not wear anything nice to anatomy, because whatever you wear will stink like formaldehyde.

Well UQ is using an American company to market the school, Mededpath or whatever its name and they advertise all over.
Advertise what? USyd markets, UQ markets, Melbourne markets, and somehow all that matters to you is that Mededpath markets Ochsner. So what? What is it about their marketing which clearly crosses some line that your alma does not?

UQ Ochsner offers clinical education in the US, and one requirement to finish clinical education in the US is a passing USMLE Step 1 score.
Huh? Yes, to practice as a doctor in the US, you have to have a USMLE score sufficient to get residency (loosely referred to as a "passing score"). To stay in Australia, you must get accepted for internship. Same issue. Neither is a given for int'l students, whether at UQ Brisbane, Ochsner, or any other Australian school. Yet Australian schools market to int'ls. On the other hand, you do not need to pass the USMLE to do clinical rotations unless your school requires that. This is where Ochsner could change its policy.

Oh yes, the company website says they offer students assistance with USMLE prep:
http://www.mededpath.org/usmle_prep.php
Yes they do. What's your point? So what's the problem you have with them giving support??

In Year 2 MBBS, students will be given additional support to help them prepare for the Step 1 of the USMLE. Professor Stephen Smith from Brown Medical School has been recruited as a consultant for this aspect of the Ochsner program. Professor Smith developed the highly regarded Brown University USMLE support program. The students are also being given access to the MCQ databases and practice examinations from the Kaplan, National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME), USMLEWorld and suggested USMLE preparation texts. These resources have been defined by the students as the preferred resources.
USyd *markets* to int'l students, likewise allows students to do int'l rotations (a few), and then promises neither Australian nor American residency (I'm not bagging out USyd, I'm simply extending the parallels). What does Ochsner do differently? You seem to think that merely because they'll do ALL clinicals in the US, that there's some greater responsibility than USyd to do something (what?), which is nonsense. Any respsonsibility is equivalent. And I haven't seen USyd make any promises of USMLE support as per above.

As I said, Ochsner is doing MORE, and charging more. And candidates can decide if it's ENOUGH of more to be worthwhile for them to pay more. Because an alternative, for example, of going to USyd (or UQ Brisbane, or Melbourne which markets an MD degree, or any other Australian school!), also MARKETED to them, comes with no promise of internship, nor of tailoring to or passing the USMLE.

You seem to be hung up on the non-unique problem that no Australian school tailors themselves to the USMLE. Well of course not, it's discussed to death, and it's obvious to anyone who does the most cursory of research on any of the Australian schools. Ochsner is no different in this regard, except that it offers two years of US clinicals (rather than 2 or 3 rotations), and it DOES offer support for the USMLE, and for some reason you seem to think that means they are further away from meeting some obligation than other Australian schools. Completely irrational rubbish.

Last edited:
Advertise what? USyd markets, UQ markets, Melbourne markets, and somehow all that matters to you is that Mededpath markets Ochsner. So what? What is it about their marketing which clearly crosses some line that your alma does not?

Huh? Yes, to practice as a doctor in the US, you have to have a USMLE score sufficient to get residency (loosely referred to as a "passing score"). To practice as a doctor in Australia, you must get accepted to internship. Same issue. Neither is a given for int'l students, whether at UQ Brisbane, Ochsner, or any other Australian school. Yet Australian schools market to int'ls. On the other hand, you do not need to pass the USMLE to do clinical rotations unless your school requires that. This is where Ochsner could change its policy.

What's your point? They will give support, as per below. So what's the problem you have with them giving support??

USyd *markets* to int'l students, likewise allows students to do int'l rotations (a few), and then promises neither Australian nor American residency (I'm not bagging out USyd, I'm simply extending the parallels). What does Ochsner do differently? You seem to think that merely because they'll do ALL clinicals in the US, that there's some greater responsibility than USyd to do something (what?), which is nonsense. Any respsonsibility is equivalent. And I haven't seen USyd make any promises of USMLE support as per above.

As I said, Ochsner is doing MORE, and charging more. And candidates can decide if it's ENOUGH of more to be worthwhile for them to pay more. Because an alternative, for example, of going to USyd (or UQ proper, or Melbourne, or any other Australian school), also MARKETED to them, comes with no promise of internship, nor of passing the USMLE.

You seem to be hung up on the non-unique problem that no Australian school tailors themselves to the USMLE. Well of course not, it's discussed to death, and it's obvious to anyone who does the most cursory of research on any of the Australian schools. Ochsner is no different in this regard, except that it offers two years of US clinicals (rather than 2 or 3 rotations), and it DOES offer support for the USMLE, and for some reason you seem to think that means they are further away from meeting some obligation than other Australian schools. Completely irrational rubbish.

How could UQ students rotate at Ochsner without passing the USMLE, its a legal requirement for an Allopathic medical student to have taken and passed the USMLE Step 1 in order to complete rotations in a US hospital.

There is no such requirement in Australia but USyd students do get something formidable, the Barrier Exam, which needs to be passed in order to go onto year 3. Also passing at USyd is 50 percent or higher on an assessment, in most North American schools its usually at least 70 to 75 percent.

The Barrier is a pretty nasty test, basically everything in year 1 and year 2 for one test.

Neither an internship in Australia or a residency in North America is guaranteed, you got that right. You twisted my words in the past, you need PR to get an internship in most cases, especially these days. My cohort is probably the last one in which any international who wanted an internship to stay in Australia was able to get one.

I heard some good news about residency positions being increased substantially in the US, but that still does not guarantee one will get a residency. But you never know in these uncertain economic times.

Oh and I found out why my friend was screwed over in his PR application, he did not have enough points because they changed the rules for using your degree for points to some really stupid rule. Its really complicated.

Last edited:
How could UQ students rotate at Ochsner without passing the USMLE, its a legal requirement for an Allopathic medical student to have taken and passed the USMLE Step 1 in order to complete rotations in a US hospital.
Wrong, Many UQ students do core rotations in the US without having taken USMLE Step 1. Many university systems require it before allowing clinicals, but that is very different.

Do you just make stuff up as you go along?

There is no such requirement in Australia but USyd students do get something formidable, the Barrier Exam, which needs to be passed in order to go onto year 3. Also passing at USyd is 50 percent or higher on an assessment, in most North American schools its usually at least 70 to 75 percent.

The Barrier is a pretty nasty test, basically everything in year 1 and year 2 for one test.
And this has bearing on the discussion, how? So what if USyd has some sort of barrier exam. USyd does not tailor to the USMLE, yet it markets to Americans. My argument as per above still stands -- As usual, USyd does not escape the same responsibilities that you claim UQ Ochsner has.

Neither an internship in Australia or a residency in North America is guaranteed, you got that right. You twisted my words in the past, you need PR to get an internship in most cases, especially these days. My cohort is probably the last one in which any international who wanted an internship to stay in Australia was able to get one.
um...no I didn't, but how does this bear on the present discussion? You are agreeing that internship can not be guaranteed, nor can passing the USML. Yet Australian schools market to Americans. Therefore my argument stands that you are applying a double standard with regards to Ochsner.

Oh and I found out why my friend was screwed over in his PR application, he did not have enough points because they changed the rules for using your degree for points to some really stupid rule. Its really complicated.
Yeah, so complicated it makes no sense -- you reported that your friend applied and failed to get PR as a doctor who completed internship. There has been no prohibitive changes to the 176 for doctors in recent years, and the point in *that* discussion was that your anecdote made no sense, and your claim that getting PR as a post-internship doc is difficult was therefore misleading.

You have not addressed any of the issues I've pointed out with your claims. Actually, you never do.

Well I agree, USyd holds just as much responsibility to make sure their international students succeed, especially since they pay much higher fees. With all things considered, in my opinion I do not see the way Australia universities see internationals as $ dollar signs to be very ethical. In the early years when only small numbers of international students existed it was not a big deal to have some people pay full fees but now even USyd has 80 international places. I think only Flinders has remained steady in its international student population.

Also I have not heard of yet one USyd student who rotated in the USA without passing the Step 1 examination. The information in that exam is crucial to doing well in rotations. Also the only rotations that USyd students can complete in the US or in Canada are electives not cores.

So the UQ students who did cores in the US, are they in the Ochsner program? This program however is clearly made for students interested in working in North America since its entire clinical component is in the USA.

Also USyd does market itself in a limited way but it sees itself as an "international" school so not specifically for US and Canadian students only. There are plenty of students from the UK and Asian countries like Singapore and Malaysia. I also met a few continental European students too. Up until Britain joined the EU, a graduate of an Australian medical school had a relatively easy time being able to practice in the UK. The same goes with the regular UQ course, in fact, I believe they also get a good number of students from outside North America too, particularly Norway at Queensland.

I also was not knocking down UQ and talking up USyd, in fact I do not like how either school is working these days, they are still good schools but the directions they are taking do not give me a good feeling, especially with regards to international students, raising tuition to exhorbitant levels as well as increasing numbers of students given the fact that it will become much harder for them to secure internships and training in both Australia and North America.

I have advised all my friends applying to medical school to only consider Australian and other international schools only if you do not get into North American MD or a US DO program. Of course a lot of the people I know would be kind of anal towards having the DO on their labcoat and credentials rather than the more universally known MD, that is still not a valid excuse to go to a foreign school.

Pitman, I find USyd and UQ though to be equally guilty of capitalizing on international students.

There are some programs that do not take any international students such as Griffith, UWa, etc. And there are others who only take small numbers, such as ANU and Flinders.

Last edited:
Dress code? Are you for real? You are going to be in Australia. The only dress code is for clinical days. I think UQ does it differently from Sydney, but on clinical days its pants, dress shirt, and a tie. For other days you wear whatever you want.

Obviously when you want to meet with a professor its advisable to look neat, and not wear Billabong and Thongs(Flip Flops).

Still its more liberal than US schools. I know at the school I nearly went to you needed white coats with the school insignia. In Australia, you only wear white coats in Anatomy, that is another thing, they do not use scrubs in Anatomy. You also need to wear closed shoes in Anatomy. I have also seen people get away with wearing shorts in Anatomy as well. But you do need a white coat or they will make you buy a disposable Apron at your expense. I also would not wear anything nice to anatomy, because whatever you wear will stink like formaldehyde.

I wouldn't know, I've never been to Australia, nor do I know many Australians so what's self-evident for someone who's been there as long as you isn't for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
shorts and t-shirt almost everyday. Need closed shoes for anatomy, micro and other labs. Clinical clothes are worn when going to the wards or seeing patients. Ties are not mandatory for SOME hospitals, and if you wear a tie you have to have a tie clip. That is pretty much it for dress code. Bring comfy shoes because you will walk a lot AND do not buy shoes here (VERY EXPENSIVE!).:eek: 250 for Mizuno which I get for 90!!

Also I have not heard of yet one USyd student who rotated in the USA without passing the Step 1 examination. The information in that exam is crucial to doing well in rotations. Also the only rotations that USyd students can complete in the US or in Canada are electives not cores.
That's a USyd +/- AMC issue, not a US restriction.

So the UQ students who did cores in the US, are they in the Ochsner program?
That's irrelevant -- they're UQ students. The only difference is that Ochsner students will be doing rotations at Ochsner and other UQ students have been doing them all over the country (including Ochsner).

There are some programs that do not take any international students such as Griffith, UWa, etc. And there are others who only take small numbers, such as ANU and Flinders.
Taking few is irrelevant. Flinders has a marketed program to take about the same number of int'l students every year (since it became the first grad program). ANU also markets. They do not escape the same responsibilities (to the extent that they have any) as any other school marketing to and taking Americans.

That's a USyd +/- AMC issue, not a US restriction.

That's irrelevant -- they're UQ students. The only difference is that Ochsner students will be doing rotations at Ochsner and other UQ students have been doing them all over the country (including Ochsner).

Taking few is irrelevant. Flinders has a marketed program to take about the same number of int'l students every year (since it became the first grad program). ANU also markets. They do not escape the same responsibilities (to the extent that they have any) as any other school marketing to and taking Americans.

True but Flinders and ANU have kept their international student intake relatively stable. Sydney and UQ have upped it considerably. The class starting in 2011 at USyd will have 80 internationals, my class had 45.

shorts and t-shirt almost everyday. Need closed shoes for anatomy, micro and other labs. Clinical clothes are worn when going to the wards or seeing patients. Ties are not mandatory for SOME hospitals, and if you wear a tie you have to have a tie clip. That is pretty much it for dress code. Bring comfy shoes because you will walk a lot AND do not buy shoes here (VERY EXPENSIVE!).:eek: 250 for Mizuno which I get for 90!!

Shoes and clothes are pricey in Australia. However I found quite a few outlet stores in Sydney that sell things a lot cheaper.

I'm a first year in the program. I just wanted to reply to that last
post because I think it could be confusing to people. First of all,
anyone interested in the program should know that half of what they
hear from MedEdPath is probably wrong. The jury is still out on
whether MedEdPath is evil or just incompetent. The students in the
program actually did a survey on MedEdPath this year and their
approval rating was, like, 30% or something. I don't think there was a
single student who felt MedEdPath was doing a decent job.

I think pacificblue has the best understanding of what is going on here. If you look at MedEdPath's website they EXPLICITLY state that there will be extensive USMLE prep for the cohort and that some guy over at Brown university is heading it and that there will be tons of materials and prep time and tutors - that is total bull****. There is no such thing in place, there has been none, and there is no headway in getting that in place for the incoming cohort. Maybe they will get their act together and get something going for future cohorts but for the incoming 2011 class - NFW. That is just a plain LIE.

Want to talk about misleading? How about the tag line that the entirety of the program is geared specifically to generate American doctors? Nowhere does it say anything like "training you to be either an aussie OR american doctor." But that certainly isn't what the AMC thinks and it isn't what you will hear while in Australia. Yeah, sure, that is the ultimate goal (i think) and what Ochsner wants. But wish for a streamlined path to American doctor-dom in one hand and let UQ SoM pour bulky fiber with stercobilin in the other and see which fills up first. Why do I have such a problem with this? Doesn't everyone make their own path and if you bust your ass you get what you want? Yeah, for sure. But people also have the right to know the truth, and not get a load of BS from some mercenary recruiting agency and then get tossed into a milieu of ineptitude and lies. Which brings me to the damned lies....

The SoM has been treating us all like children... actually worse, like slave children that they own. "It's all for the accreditation" is something we heard so much and bent over backwards till we snapped that it is about time we actually got some freaking respect from the school. What do we get? Surprise placements that completely disrupt flights home, time with family, and force a change in Ochsner's curriculum - a change that was KNOWN by the school to be a VERY likely possibility, but was never even MENTIONED to the cohort until the very last minute. Then, we were asked by the school to not mention it (or how PISSED we were about it) to the AMC "all for the accreditation" with the expressed (though unofficial) sentiment that the AMC "might not" include the placement in their requirements for our cohort if we kept our mouths shut and it what? slipped under their radar? Yeah right. And worse than that solid plan of action is that, once again, it was a DAMNED LIE. The 2nd year students have been forced into the placement immediately since the official AMC recommendation is not yet in and they need to CYA. But that wasn't officially said until mid september. But wait... if the school is doing it pre-emptively, and they knew the provision for it was in the official AMC submission, then telling us to keep quiet about it and not voice our extreme discontent at it and then finally dropping the ball over a month later was... PR positioning so the school looks good in front of the AMC while treating us like pawns in a chess match. And then they have the gall to quibble about re-imbursing these students for ALL associated costs of this grand f-up. And here we are being taught to be professionals who should care about our patients by people who clearly don't understand the meaning themselves and dont give a flying hoot about us, only the "accreditation of the program."

Now before Mr. Pitman (however well intentioned he is) gets uppity about this - YES, we have voiced these concerns directly to all involved. YES, we have suggested alternatives, offered CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, written proposals, asked for meetings, and sent numerous emails for clarification and guidance. And what have we gotten? An adviser who forgets about the meetings he has scheduled with us, who takes at least 3-4 weeks to return an email (even from the official representative, not just the cohort at large) if he returns them at all, a head of school who met for the FIRST TIME with ANY Ochsner cohort students only a few months ago (we have gotten more face time, better responses, more care, and a clear sense of professionalism from the Ochsner side of things even though no one has even gotten there yet!!), oh yeah, and a free copy of First Aide. Thanks for saving me 40 bucks. What else have we gotten? Face to face promises that were broken and a complete lack of disclosure about things the school has KNOWN would be relevant to us for well over a year and would affect our lives but decided to either LIE to us about it or just omit it until the last possible moment. Great way to treat your inception cohort.

Many on this forum seem to think along the lines of "Well, you know even the US students prep for the USMLE on their own time" and "this is an Aussie program and you can't expect the curriculum to change so suck it up" or "the requirement for the USMLE is an Ochsner thing that they can change" etc. That is all wishy washy garbage. The program is separate from the general cohort - even the internationals. We now have rules and placements that apply ONLY to us. And we have paid more and in the future will pay in a different way in different currency than anyone else. We are on a separate track even though our first two years more or less align. And yes, the requirement to sit the USMLE is a mandatory legal issue for US med students to even start 3rd year. So why would or should Ochsner find a way to make an exemption for us? And why the hell should the solution be to let us take it in 3rd year instead of having the school of medicine step up its game and actually deliver on the promises that IT HAS WRITTEN AND APPROVED ON THE MEDEDPATH WEBSITE??? How on earth can anyone think it is ethical to mislead students, give them false promises regarding specifics of the program, and then KNOWINGLY lie to their faces once they get to Australia and then suggest "oh well, you're paying for the exprience/degree and just tough it out and make it happen on your own." Perhaps we should all adopt that attitude for our future patients.

Ochsner students are leaving the program (some are BEGGING to get out) because it is so poorly stitched together with so much uncertainty. We could deal with the foibles of a new program like this except that history has shown us that we can NOT trust what the school tells us. We never know if they are holding something back and yet another surprise will jump out at us. And unlike the school some of us (including myself) are feeling pangs of ethical pain at the thought of yet another cohort coming in thinking this program has its **** together and that the school will actually care enough to take care of their needs and not just the bottom line of the program. I cannot count how many times we have all felt that if the school had just said "here is what is on the table with the AMC and we just don't know how it will shake out" instead of LYING to us and then reversing a decision at the last minute we would actually be much happier and better off. Or how many times we have had extremely labor intensive position papers turn into a friendly pat on the head and "aww how cute I'll put it on the fridge" mentality. I do not exaggerate when I say there has been lost sleep, sweat, and tears poured into offering the best help, input, and collaborative spirit we could muster to the school to only leave us feeling like a 4 year old with a melting ice cream cone.

So, will I be fine? Yeah. Will I rock the USMLE? You betcha. Would I ultimately do this again knowing what I do now? Probably. Do I think the school is acting a professional manner that will engender goodwill in future cohorts? No. Do I feel that the very nature and promise of the program REQUIRES the school to make special accomodations for us? ABSOLUTELY.

Oh yes, and Mr. Pitman, "Those who are willing to pay to get US exposure, will. Students who are motivated will do the USMLE courses that the school will pay for, and pass the USMLE and get residency. Those who aren't, won't." - you miss the entire point. This is not a UQ program to "get US exposure" this is being marketed and we are being told at every step that it is a separate program designed to produce AMERICAN DOCTORS. We aren't here paying extra for US exposure - we are paying for what is supposed to be a wholly novel program. Any UQ student can get US exposure by doing their rotations at Ochsner and not pay extra.

So yeah, I honestly think this program has some seriously good ptential. And I think Ochsner is an AMAZING place and trust me, we are ALL counting the days till we get to work with them instead of UQ. But it is unfair to the incoming cohorts to be misled into this rosy colored idea by reading the tripe mededpath is peddling. And we have given them every opportunity and bent over backwards to change that to no avail. So here I am now, ranting. Decide for yourself what you want and if you think I am full of ****.

I was accepted to both the UQ-Ochsner program and Sydney. It was a really tough decision for me when choosing between the two, but ultimately it came down to this: I want to practice in the US.

I figure that either school is a top Australian univiersity teaching an Australian curriculum, so going to Sydney does not necessarily give me a leg up when applying to residencies. At least the Ochsner program gives me more exposure to US hospitals. Worst case the program flops and I can still spend 6 months there as a UQ student. Also for my cohort the cost is somewhat comparable for now (depending on how the exchange rate changes). So I chose Ochsner.

The only reason I wouldn't? Mostly because everytime I try to talk to someone or get help they piss me off. Seriously, I feel for you. I haven't even started and I feel like I am faced with incompetence through MedEdPath and the only response I get is a blase attitude because they have PhDs and wave around inconsequential recognitions of UQ and Ochsner. They make my blood boil.

You said that you are faced with additional adversities as someone in the Ochsnder cohort? I am now aware of the forced elective placements, 1st year 4 week elective in the Australia and the final elective also back in Australia (what a freakin' costly plane ticket for an 8 week rotation, right?). I am wondering is there anything else I should know about? Do they require more from you? I was expecting to spend a lot of time studying on my own independent of the school. Will there be ample time for that and a somewhat social life, or does the school totally screw you into oblivion? Thanks for the heads up and I'll be seeing you in January, hope the rest of your cohort sticks around!

SNu listen. do not get discourage. I was the 1st year Ochsner rep and I hope to be the 2nd year rep next year and it was a difficult spot to be in at times BUT man the truth is I like Australia and I love the Aussie way of life. All these changes in our program were unfortunate but we will persevere. Besides PBL (which can be a GREAT teaching tool), labs and Clinical coaching, you will find to have LOTS OF FREE TIME. You can send me any message you would like and I will respond, if you ever want to talk let me know and we can talk by skype or phone sometime.:thumbup:

Oh yes, and Mr. Pitman, "Those who are willing to pay to get US exposure, will. Students who are motivated will do the USMLE courses that the school will pay for, and pass the USMLE and get residency. Those who aren't, won't." - you miss the entire point. This is not a UQ program to "get US exposure" this is being marketed and we are being told at every step that it is a separate program designed to produce AMERICAN DOCTORS. We aren't here paying extra for US exposure - we are paying for what is supposed to be a wholly novel program. Any UQ student can get US exposure by doing their rotations at Ochsner and not pay extra.
It is was it is, and it is a novel program. No other UQ students can do even an entire year in the US. You're paying for the UQ degree + two years of US clinical exposure + a good chance that Ochsner itself will take you for residency.

It's difficult to know how else to respond to someone who's liberally making false inferences and throwing out accusations. Some of your key points just don't ring true and seem to me instead to be more a result of an emotional reaction that reflects an 'us versus them' mentality. To begin with, it's not terribly objective to claim "LIES…All lies!" on the one hand, while not knowing those you're characterizing, but more importantly, without understanding what's going on.

Australia operates differently than the US. Cliche, yet true. Americans sometimes have the attitude of, I've paid this, so give me that in response. Now. In this way. Or I will yell until you submit. It even sounds righteous through the American worldview, but it ain't how things get done down here. Indeed it's counterproductive. You might be able to imagine the sorts of student rants that come across the SoM's and the UQMS' desks (nearly always, the most aggressive and obtuse of these coming from N. Americans). They are typically the first that's heard from an individual on the issue, yet start from the standpoint that something reasonable was tried, and now I am fed up, and screw you, you bunch of incompetent liars. But I'll tell ya, calling people you don't even know liars for things that haven't yet occurred (no USMLE support setup for the incoming class, which hasn't started yet? Must be a LIE, A DAMNED LIE...) I think says a lot. It also ignores how bureaucracy and med politics work here, which you may never grow to embrace but you'll need to learn if you ever hope to effect much positive change.

I'm sorry if I sound patronizing, but in my political dealings since coming here, I've had little patience for people who make accusations without understanding how the system they're part of actually works. On the more universal level, AMC accreditation is a process, it involves negotiation and maneuvering, and it is political. It makes perfect sense that the school would genuinely want certain things kept quiet during the process in order to maximize its chances of accreditation. That's not unique to the program or to med schools as they all go through course re-accreditation (keeping in mind that one school has recently lost theirs). I'm not sure what your point of that bit of your vent was, but it sounded like you were saying that asking students not to bring certain issues up during an AMC assessment process was part of its lies, rather than smart in this climate. Very odd, and as someone who has worked with a number of the SoM people who are most involved with the project, it sounds incredible to me that such an assumption of deceit would be made through those examples.

I cannot speak about mededpath's communications or genuineness, as I have never dealt with them, but the next thing that seems to be missed is how the SoM negotiates with the students. No offense to feliberti20, but there is no official first year Ochsner rep. Therefore that is not who would be best to reference for getting official responses. There is a second year Ochsner student rep who is officially part of the UQMS, but it would also not surprise me in the least bit that THAT person would not get timely responses from key admin. The very fact that you reference the rep and Ochsner students as an organized entity in your frustrations about communication, rather than UQMS peeps up the food chain, says a lot to me about how little you understand process. The UQMS, as the only recognized authority to deal with such matters despite attempts by some who think they can buck the system, at several levels has and does discuss these issues with the SoM, and there has been progress over the past year. Before claiming a lack of any progress on key issues, or accusing people of LYING or of incompetence, you may want to sit down with an Exec member, at least long enough to learn how you might be able to constructively offer him/her criticism of how they approach to the SoM the issues you care so much about.

Change may not be fast enough for you, or potentially for others who make sweeping claims of "LIAR!" in part as they see nothing of the wheels in motion, and in part because the top and most immediate concern for the program is in fact, believe it or not, to get it accredited. The other reason is that Americans aren't used to slow, roundabout process, and some might confuse it with people being disingenuous.

I have never met an efficient Australian bureaucracy. Actually, I've never met an efficient bureaucracy, period. But Australian bureaucracy is particularly quirky. They have their own processes, their own protocols for negotiating, a unique tall poppy syndrome intertwined, and what can only be described as an aggravating seeming indifference to demands for expediency. Yet there is good reason for those who look carefully enough why "whinge" is one of the most common derogatory words in Australia. Americans who come here learn this here eventually, through one issue they encounter or another. It will either drive them crazy (or back home), or they will embrace it as a necessary evil part of what I think is an overall endearing Australian attitude in life. In the best case, one or two will assimilate enough to be able to use it to their and the program's advantage.

I think pacificblue has the best understanding of what is going on here. If you look at MedEdPath's website they EXPLICITLY state that there will be extensive USMLE prep for the cohort and that some guy over at Brown university is heading it and that there will be tons of materials and prep time and tutors - that is total bull****. There is no such thing in place, there has been none, and there is no headway in getting that in place for the incoming cohort. Maybe they will get their act together and get something going for future cohorts but for the incoming 2011 class - NFW. That is just a plain LIE.

Want to talk about misleading? How about the tag line that the entirety of the program is geared specifically to generate American doctors? Nowhere does it say anything like "training you to be either an aussie OR american doctor." But that certainly isn't what the AMC thinks and it isn't what you will hear while in Australia. Yeah, sure, that is the ultimate goal (i think) and what Ochsner wants. But wish for a streamlined path to American doctor-dom in one hand and let UQ SoM pour bulky fiber with stercobilin in the other and see which fills up first. Why do I have such a problem with this? Doesn't everyone make their own path and if you bust your ass you get what you want? Yeah, for sure. But people also have the right to know the truth, and not get a load of BS from some mercenary recruiting agency and then get tossed into a milieu of ineptitude and lies. Which brings me to the damned lies....

The SoM has been treating us all like children... actually worse, like slave children that they own. "It's all for the accreditation" is something we heard so much and bent over backwards till we snapped that it is about time we actually got some freaking respect from the school. What do we get? Surprise placements that completely disrupt flights home, time with family, and force a change in Ochsner's curriculum - a change that was KNOWN by the school to be a VERY likely possibility, but was never even MENTIONED to the cohort until the very last minute. Then, we were asked by the school to not mention it (or how PISSED we were about it) to the AMC "all for the accreditation" with the expressed (though unofficial) sentiment that the AMC "might not" include the placement in their requirements for our cohort if we kept our mouths shut and it what? slipped under their radar? Yeah right. And worse than that solid plan of action is that, once again, it was a DAMNED LIE. The 2nd year students have been forced into the placement immediately since the official AMC recommendation is not yet in and they need to CYA. But that wasn't officially said until mid september. But wait... if the school is doing it pre-emptively, and they knew the provision for it was in the official AMC submission, then telling us to keep quiet about it and not voice our extreme discontent at it and then finally dropping the ball over a month later was... PR positioning so the school looks good in front of the AMC while treating us like pawns in a chess match. And then they have the gall to quibble about re-imbursing these students for ALL associated costs of this grand f-up. And here we are being taught to be professionals who should care about our patients by people who clearly don't understand the meaning themselves and dont give a flying hoot about us, only the "accreditation of the program."

Now before Mr. Pitman (however well intentioned he is) gets uppity about this - YES, we have voiced these concerns directly to all involved. YES, we have suggested alternatives, offered CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, written proposals, asked for meetings, and sent numerous emails for clarification and guidance. And what have we gotten? An adviser who forgets about the meetings he has scheduled with us, who takes at least 3-4 weeks to return an email (even from the official representative, not just the cohort at large) if he returns them at all, a head of school who met for the FIRST TIME with ANY Ochsner cohort students only a few months ago (we have gotten more face time, better responses, more care, and a clear sense of professionalism from the Ochsner side of things even though no one has even gotten there yet!!), oh yeah, and a free copy of First Aide. Thanks for saving me 40 bucks. What else have we gotten? Face to face promises that were broken and a complete lack of disclosure about things the school has KNOWN would be relevant to us for well over a year and would affect our lives but decided to either LIE to us about it or just omit it until the last possible moment. Great way to treat your inception cohort.

Many on this forum seem to think along the lines of "Well, you know even the US students prep for the USMLE on their own time" and "this is an Aussie program and you can't expect the curriculum to change so suck it up" or "the requirement for the USMLE is an Ochsner thing that they can change" etc. That is all wishy washy garbage. The program is separate from the general cohort - even the internationals. We now have rules and placements that apply ONLY to us. And we have paid more and in the future will pay in a different way in different currency than anyone else. We are on a separate track even though our first two years more or less align. And yes, the requirement to sit the USMLE is a mandatory legal issue for US med students to even start 3rd year. So why would or should Ochsner find a way to make an exemption for us? And why the hell should the solution be to let us take it in 3rd year instead of having the school of medicine step up its game and actually deliver on the promises that IT HAS WRITTEN AND APPROVED ON THE MEDEDPATH WEBSITE??? How on earth can anyone think it is ethical to mislead students, give them false promises regarding specifics of the program, and then KNOWINGLY lie to their faces once they get to Australia and then suggest "oh well, you're paying for the exprience/degree and just tough it out and make it happen on your own." Perhaps we should all adopt that attitude for our future patients.

Ochsner students are leaving the program (some are BEGGING to get out) because it is so poorly stitched together with so much uncertainty. We could deal with the foibles of a new program like this except that history has shown us that we can NOT trust what the school tells us. We never know if they are holding something back and yet another surprise will jump out at us. And unlike the school some of us (including myself) are feeling pangs of ethical pain at the thought of yet another cohort coming in thinking this program has its **** together and that the school will actually care enough to take care of their needs and not just the bottom line of the program. I cannot count how many times we have all felt that if the school had just said "here is what is on the table with the AMC and we just don't know how it will shake out" instead of LYING to us and then reversing a decision at the last minute we would actually be much happier and better off. Or how many times we have had extremely labor intensive position papers turn into a friendly pat on the head and "aww how cute I'll put it on the fridge" mentality. I do not exaggerate when I say there has been lost sleep, sweat, and tears poured into offering the best help, input, and collaborative spirit we could muster to the school to only leave us feeling like a 4 year old with a melting ice cream cone.

So, will I be fine? Yeah. Will I rock the USMLE? You betcha. Would I ultimately do this again knowing what I do now? Probably. Do I think the school is acting a professional manner that will engender goodwill in future cohorts? No. Do I feel that the very nature and promise of the program REQUIRES the school to make special accomodations for us? ABSOLUTELY.

So yeah, I honestly think this program has some seriously good ptential. And I think Ochsner is an AMAZING place and trust me, we are ALL counting the days till we get to work with them instead of UQ. But it is unfair to the incoming cohorts to be misled into this rosy colored idea by reading the tripe mededpath is peddling. And we have given them every opportunity and bent over backwards to change that to no avail. So here I am now, ranting. Decide for yourself what you want and if you think I am full of ****.

Wow, you finally got what I was saying. The UQ Ochsner program is marketed in the same way Caribbean medical schools are marketed, giving you 2 years in a foreign country and 2 years of clinical work in the US.

USyd never marketed itself this way, neither does Flinders, neither does any regular Australian school. I can tell you there is no hand holding at any Aussie school, if you want to go back to North America you will have to work that out on your own. Many people have done it. USyd has a North American student association. I never saw on USyd's materials that they explicitly say they prepare students to take the USMLE.

Mededpath is marketing this program as if its like one of the Caribbean schools that holds your hand and trains you to the pass the USMLE so you can go back to North America.

USyd never marketed itself this way, neither does Flinders, neither does any regular Australian school.

What way?? Beyond some general notion of "marketed that way". Why do people think that because there's a program which has parallels with Caribbean schools (2yrs elsewhere, 2yrs US), therefore it has to do x, y and z? It's never been a secret that, for the example you yourself keep repeating, AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS DON'T TAILOR TO THE USMLE. That was a given, and merely having US clinical years does not mean the program has to change its curriculum. Same goes for whatever it is that people want to claim was somehow implied by merely having such a program.

USyd does not market two years of US clinicals because it does not have them. Instead, it markets to and takes Americans with full knowledge that they won't prepare them for the USMLE, nor will they likely be able to stay in Oz. People are whack if they think that makes the school LESS obligated to do x, y and z.

What way?? Beyond some general notion of "marketed that way". Why do people think that because there's a program which has parallels with Caribbean schools (2yrs elsewhere, 2yrs US), therefore it has to do x, y and z? It's never been a secret that, for the example you yourself keep repeating, AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS DON'T TAILOR TO THE USMLE. That was a given, and merely having US clinical years does not mean the program has to change its curriculum. Same goes for whatever it is that people want to claim was somehow implied by merely having such a program.

USyd does not market two years of US clinicals because it does not have them. Instead, it markets to and takes Americans with full knowledge that they won't prepare them for the USMLE, nor will they likely be able to stay in Oz. People are whack if they think that makes the school LESS obligated to do x, y and z.

Well what USyd has done is actually quite clear, they never say they prepare you for the USMLE, they are a university and provide a medical degree. What the regular UQ program does is honest too. But what Mededpath has done with the UQ Ochsner program is not honest. Go to their website, read it thoroughly, their mission is to train North Americans for practice in the USA. A while back they even had the photographs of the Dean of UQ and the head of Ocshner on their website. They also said they provide assistance with preparation for the USMLE. The above student has said something different.

UQ was foolish to get into this kind of business, and they seem to be trying to drag down the reputation of the rest of the Australian medical education system, which is actually quite good.

There are many people who have expressed distaste for this course, me included.

Since they are being so explicit about the program training doctors for the US, they should provide the resources needed for them to succeed.

I know many international students who study at Aussie universities and I can tell you that the universities do capitalize on full fee paying international students because of their funding gaps.

Also I suggest you read the new immigration law, its completely changed how students can apply for PR, you only get 5 points for the minimum 2 years of study. To get more you need to graduate with honors, also need 3 years of study, and not one but two degrees, otherwise you will need a year of work experience. A lot of people who are older will now fail the points test. Also now native English speakers get fewer points for PR than applicants who scored a 7 on the IELTS exam. They also pared down the number of skilled occupations from 400 to 120. Wow, Gilliard is truly more xenophobic than John Howard.

Regardless of the issues with international students, Australian universities are still excellent. And UQ is a great school but its not there to prepare people to pass foreign examinations such as the USMLE. Anyone going overseas for medical school will have to be extra self motivated and proactive with their education.

Last edited:
I cannot speak about mededpath's communications or genuineness, as I have never dealt with them, but the next thing that seems to be missed is how the SoM negotiates with the students. No offense to feliberti20, but there is no official first year Ochsner rep. Therefore that is not who would be best to reference for getting official responses. There is a second year Ochsner student rep who is officially part of the UQMS, but it would also not surprise me in the least bit that THAT person would not get timely responses from key admin. The very fact that you reference the rep and Ochsner students as an organized entity in your frustrations about communication, rather than UQMS peeps up the food chain, says a lot to me about how little you understand process. The UQMS, as the only recognized authority to deal with such matters despite attempts by some who think they can buck the system, at several levels has and does discuss these issues with the SoM, and there has been progress over the past year. Before claiming a lack of any progress on key issues, or accusing people of LYING or of incompetence, you may want to sit down with an Exec member, at least long enough to learn how you might be able to constructively offer him/her criticism of how they approach to the SoM the issues you care so much about.

Hey mate you are correct in stating that I was not the official UQMS 1st year rep and that there was a 2nd year UQMS ochsner rep BUT as 1st years we decided to elect an unofficial Ochsner rep to be present in meetings in support of the 2nd year guy that way we can maintain continuity and learn from previous mistakes. No offence taken by the way, my fellow 2nd year Ochsner rep Mr. RH and I have had many conversations of our status and how we can help develop the program and even how we can spread the word using this forum.
In my personal experience dealing with the SoM admin has been no more underhanded than many of US politics. It is just a different breed of politicking that we are not used to, and unfortunately some refuse to learn.

A while back they even had the photographs of the Dean of UQ and the head of Ocshner on their website. They also said they provide assistance with preparation for the USMLE. The above student has said something different.
wow, there was EVEN a photograph of those two guys, together? Scandalous.

Well, you're in good company, relying on what someone says different here, and then using that to reinforce your own prejudices about a program you know virtually nothing, whose students you do not know, and whose administration with which you have no experience (sorta like your vague third hand knowledge of someone who once couldn't get PR as a doctor post internship...)

Also I suggest you read the new immigration law, its completely changed how students can apply for PR, you only get 5 points for the minimum 2 years of study. To get more you need to graduate with honors, also need 3 years of study, and not one but two degrees, otherwise you will need a year of work experience. A lot of people who are older will now fail the points test. Also now native English speakers get fewer points for PR than applicants who scored a 7 on the IELTS exam. They also pared down the number of skilled occupations from 400 to 120.
Um, this is not news, and I have no idea why you feel the need to bring up changes affecting non-doctors (again). You had claimed that an Australian trained DOCTOR applied AFTER internship here and could not get PR (before the above changes mind you, even if they were relevant to him), and my response, which still stands, is that there must have been something very wrong with that person's application, because in that situation getting PR is very straightforward and systematic. Period. Try to remember that, so that you don't feel the need to repeat the above irrelevant drivel, again.

Last edited:
wow, there was EVEN a photograph of those two guys, together? Scandalous.

Well, you're in good company, relying on what someone says different here, and then using that to reinforce your own prejudices about a program you know virtually nothing, whose students you do not know, and whose administration with which you have no experience (sorta like your vague third hand knowledge of someone who once couldn't get PR as a doctor post internship...)

Um, this is not news, and I have no idea why you feel the need to bring up changes affecting non-doctors (again). You had claimed that an Australian trained DOCTOR applied AFTER internship here and could not get PR (before the above changes mind you, even if they were relevant to him), and my response, which still stands, is that there must have been something very wrong with that person's application, because in that situation getting PR is very straightforward and systematic. Period. Try to remember that, so that you don't feel the need to repeat the above irrelevant drivel, again.

Why don't you look at the Mededpath website instead of lying like you do but obviously being an ex Goldman Sachs employee you are skilled in deceiving others, heck GS deceived the entire US and hence all the economic trouble in America that does not seem to end. Mededpath says they offer the students in this course assistance with USMLE prep so they can go back to the US for clinicals. Also the idea that you can complete American clinical education without passing the USMLE is an outright lie. I know many American students who cannot go on to third year without passing it, so how can they make an exception for a UQ student? You have no credibility.

If Mededpath was truly ethical they would flat out tell the US students they recruit that they are pretty much on their own for trying to get back home. USyd never told us they would help us pass the USMLE or help us arrange clinical rotations in the USA.

Maybe this is the reason why British universities almost never take North Americans, maybe Australia should start following this example. Rather than open up this can of worms.

Also Australia's skilled migration system has changed to a degree that it is much harder to get a PR now then it was recently.

Why don't you look at the Mededpath website instead of lying like you do but obviously being an ex Goldman Sachs employee you are skilled in deceiving others, heck GS deceived the entire US and hence all the economic trouble in America that does not seem to end. Mededpath says they offer the students in this course assistance with USMLE prep so they can go back to the US for clinicals. Also the idea that you can complete American clinical education without passing the USMLE is an outright lie. I know many American students who cannot go on to third year without passing it, so how can they make an exception for a UQ student? You have no credibility.
Are you aware of how paranoid you sound? Empirically, you are wrong, and it is a simple matter for you or anyone else to verify -- UQ students do clinical rotations in the US without doing Step 1. You disagree? Do some elementary research instead of flapping your mouth, 'cause you sound insane calling people liars without looking.

To answer your question (which was already answered above), American students are part of a med school. Many med schools in the US require their students to complete Step 1 before they are allowed to do their clinicals. There is no conspiracy, there is no lying.

If Mededpath was truly ethical they would flat out tell the US students they recruit that they are pretty much on their own for trying to get back home. USyd never told us they would help us pass the USMLE or help us arrange clinical rotations in the USA.
Unchallenged responses to this mantra of yours have been made ad nauseum above.

Also Australia's skilled migration system has changed to a degree that it is much harder to get a PR now then it was recently.
Not for Australian trained docs who have completed internship here, which was what you were claiming based on something you once heard about some guy who may have been rejected, for who knows what reason. Anyone who's applied for PR in the past year as an Australian trained doc knows that you've been talking smack about this.

Good luck on coming up with something new.

Are you aware of how paranoid you sound? Empirically, you are wrong, and it is a simple matter for you or anyone else to verify -- UQ students do clinical rotations in the US without doing Step 1. You disagree? Do some elementary research instead of flapping your mouth, 'cause you sound insane calling people liars without looking.

To answer your question (which was already answered above), American students are part of a med school. Many med schools in the US require their students to complete Step 1 before they are allowed to do their clinicals. There is no conspiracy, there is no lying.

Unchallenged responses to this mantra of yours have been made ad nauseum above.

Not for Australian trained docs who have completed internship here, which was what you were claiming based on something you once heard about some guy who may have been rejected, for who knows what reason. Anyone who's applied for PR in the past year as an Australian trained doc knows that you've been talking smack about this.

Good luck on coming up with something new.

No you are just a UQ graduate and you feel my criticism of Ochnser and Mededpath is an insult to your alma mater. You are clearly upset and feel I am throwing mud on your UQ medical degree. I can tell you I am not. What I clearly do not like is how UQ and Ochsner are handling this. And yes I feel with all these dramatic increases in international student populations, I feel that they are capitalizing on full fee paying students and turning these otherwise respectable universities into diploma mills.

When it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, its a duck. There are several people here on this board who have found that the UQ Ochsner people have not delivered on their promise to assist students with USMLE Prep etc.

Also anyone here who is considering going to Australia for their medical education should full well realize it will be their own responsibility to prepare for the USMLE in order to return to the US or elsewhere. I actually did take the exam and did quite well and I took it in the third year of medical school not in the second. North Americans will have to become very proactive and supportive of each other if they want to go home. USyd has an organization for North American students and they have been quite constructive.

Last edited:
No you are just a UQ graduate and you feel my criticism of Ochnser and Mededpath is an insult to your alma mater. You are clearly upset and feel I am throwing mud on your UQ medical degree.
It's amazing how much you seem to take what others say about you and then make the mirror claim to others -- that's projection.

Unfortunately for you, I am still involved with UQ, sit on an academic committee, personally know the players involved on various SoM projects, know Ochsner students in person, and continue to work with the UQMS of which I was president.

Also unfortunately for you, but more to the point, I have made many specific counterarguments to your claims based on my personal dealings rather than relying on characterizations and simpleton generalizations based on vague, anonymous hearsay; I have given you simple ways you could challenge the counterarguments if you ever wanted to move beyond that hearsay; and unlike you I continue to avoid passing judgment on the program and explicitly using that final judgment as the brunt of my arguments.

Also anyone here who is considering going to Australia for their medical education should full well realize it will be their own responsibility to prepare for the USMLE in order to return to the US or elsewhere. I actually did take the exam and did quite well and I took it in the third year of medical school not in the second.
Yes indeedee. Everyone may have forgotten the multiple times I said this just above, as PacificBlue has. Or the hundred or so times it's been said in other threads. Oh wait, they might actually have no memory and think you are the one making this point, scratch their heads and assume it supports something you've been arguing..

Or they similarly might forget your spurious claims that it's difficult for Aussie trained docs to get PR, based on some dude you may or may not have once known, nicely highlighting how you've been making general claims (and passing judgment) based on the worst of anecdotes, and then avoiding addressing the most obvious empirical counter-evidence when laid out before you. As if no one has a memory longer than a sentence.

It's scary how as a rule you avoid addressing specific points made by others, but merely repeat what you've heard around with no additional qualification. It's as if you didn't realize that anyone had made any counterarguments at all. I have suggested this in an older thread, and I will repeat it here -- it's as if you have no memory, and use your prejudices to justify each feeling, one post in isolation at a time, a la Memento.

It's amazing how much you seem to take what others say about you and then make the mirror claim to others -- that's projection.

Unfortunately for you, I am still involved with UQ, sit on an academic committee, personally know the players involved on various SoM projects, know Ochsner students in person, and continue to work with the UQMS of which I was president.

Also unfortunately for you, but more to the point, I have made many specific counterarguments to your claims based on my personal dealings rather than relying on characterizations and simpleton generalizations based on vague, anonymous hearsay; I have given you simple ways you could challenge the counterarguments if you ever wanted to move beyond that hearsay; and unlike you I continue to avoid passing judgment on the program and explicitly using that final judgment as the brunt of my arguments.

Yes indeedee. Everyone may have forgotten the multiple times I said this just above, as PacificBlue has. Or the hundred or so times it's been said in other threads. Oh wait, they might actually have no memory and think you are the one making this point, scratch their heads and assume it supports something you've been arguing..

Or they similarly might forget your spurious claims that it's difficult for Aussie trained docs to get PR, based on some dude you may or may not have once known, nicely highlighting how you've been making general claims (and passing judgment) based on the worst of anecdotes, and then avoiding addressing the most obvious empirical counter-evidence when laid out before you. As if no one has a memory longer than a sentence.

It's scary how as a rule you avoid addressing specific points made by others, but merely repeat what you've heard around with no additional qualification. It's as if you didn't realize that anyone had made any counterarguments at all. I have suggested this in an older thread, and I will repeat it here -- it's as if you have no memory, and use your prejudices to justify each feeling, one post in isolation at a time, a la Memento.

Naah, whatever you say, it goes in complete conflict with an actual student who was told many different things and got something completely different. Seriously you are another seppo that I should put on ignore.

Last edited:
Naah, whatever you say, it goes in complete conflict with an actual student who was told many different things and got something completely different.
...addressing "it"(?), heard anonymously from an "actual student", who heard "different things", and got "something"..."different".

Way to go, mate. Thanks for confirming everything I just said.

Seriously you are another seppo that I should put on ignore.
Do it. And nothing's preventing you from shutting up on issues you admittedly know nothing about beyond anonymous chat, either. Except you.

Last edited:
Naah, whatever you say, it goes in complete conflict with an actual student who was told many different things and got something completely different. Seriously you are another seppo that I should put on ignore.

You're a credit to your institution, I must say.

Re: claims of a USMLE requirement

Here's a common finding of students in Australia looking for US rotations (I once wrote a manual for UQ students of the prerequisites and costs for about 50 American schools, but that was back in 2005 mind you):

Currently Northwestern (a top American school) requires all applicants from American allopathic med schools to have completed USMLE Step 1 (and to send in their scores), while those from international medical schools have no such requirement:

US:
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/AWOME/visiting-students/documents/Applications/US App 10-11.pdf

International:
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.ed...ents/Applications/International App 10-11.pdf

Further, note the following wording for students of US osteopathic schools which shows how any requirement for USMLE for students of non-LCME accredited schools is obviously at the discretion of the school:
"COMLEX scores may be accepted as a substitute; however Step 1 scores are preferred."
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.ed...ts/documents/Applications/Osteo App 10-11.pdf

Stanford University, on the other hand, does not appear to have any such USMLE requirement even for its own students:
http://med.stanford.edu/md/curriculum/clinical_clerkships.html
It does however require it for graduation:
http://med.stanford.edu/md/curriculum/requirements.html

Like I said earlier, it's a simple matter to find out what the requirements are for any school (just google or ask them).

As Ochsner is not an AAMC or AOA school, its students would be treated like those from any other international med school when it comes to doing rotations (in fact, Ochsner need only refer to itself for any such policy for its own clinicals). Any USMLE requirement imposed by American schools onto students of int'l schools is at their own discretion, and not because of some "law", which as any American knows would run counter to how federal regulation of healthcare and higher education works. I would welcome anyone who disagrees to find such a law (all federal laws have been readily available online since the mid 1990s), and then plausibly explain how schools as above can violate it.

Any additional requirements imposed back in Australia, and how the rotations count towards the degree, are of course at the discretion of the schools here and of the AMC, and not at the whim of any American bureaucracy. It is a simple matter to find them out -- just know a student or two at your school who's researched overseas terms and ask them. Or, ask the med school itself if you know no one.

The claim that Step 1 is required for US clinicals does not make sense intuitively, it does not hold up empirically for anyone who knows anyone here who's American, and it was very simple to find a counter-example and thus to disprove it. Nonetheless, we have anonymous randoms on chat boards who have very confidently asserted their opinion to the contrary as dogma, and accused dissenters of being liars.

In my experience, when people are so dismissively confident of such an easily falsified, basic assertion, one should be extremely skeptical of how they assess data and form their opinions. I also question their motives.

Last edited:
This is my first time on this thread. A friend told me about it,
thought I would check it out. I see it has been dominated by Pitman
and PacificBlue, which is cool, anyone can post on these threads - no
disrespect, mates! But I would like to get back to earlier posts from
Feliberti, vella, and UQOchsnerstudent.
I am also in the UQOchsner program, just finished 1st Year, yea! I've
got no dislike for anyone here, not students, not administrators.
UQOchsnerstudent was perhaps a bit unkind. But I will say that this
year I figured out that UQ really was not ready for us. This school is
changing as fast as hell, class size getting huge at almost 500/class,
two new clinical schools, fewer admin staff than before even thought
here's more students and more work. With do disrespect intended, I
think UQ was unready for our program. All this year, we had, what,
three meetingw with our advisor? This is the guy who's supposed to be
our top ally. We met with him all of three times, usually about bad
news, ie restrictions put on us or some new special requirement that
we were never told about when we signed up. Don't get me wrong, I am
the kind to roll with the punches, I was ready for "unforseen" stuff.
But it seems like a new rule policy requirement gets laid down for us
on a monthly basis, and it never makes life easier. Then I found out
that our advisor has three jobs ... and it all made sense. UQ aren't
incompetent, they just don't have the resources.
I agree with Feliberti that there is much to be promised by our
program. Would I recommend it to my sister, or to a friend? Not if
they have a shot at the States, or even Caribbean, which churns out
American doctors every year, whatever its falws. One thing is for
sure, any person who wants to try this out had better be ready for a
few bruises. We took some this year.

Hi guys, 2nd Year Ochsner Student here. Tarral told me to check it
out and honestly, I was amazed at what I read ... I can't believe the
equivocating going on here! Esp by Feliberti, really? Seriously, you
guys are being way too kind ...
Ask any Ochsner student, 1st Year or 2nd Year, and they will tell you
flat out that this program has been a mess. How? Let me list. One, we
have far more restrictions on where we can get clinical experience. we
have "special placements" in 1st year and 2nd year, right as we should
be studying for USMLE! Two, we get very little USMLE help. I read
MedEdPath's page about that and it said some crazy stuff about some
dude from Harvard overseeing our prep? Ha! Beyond imagining for any
student here. Three, we're not allowed to do any rotations in 3rd year
dn 4th year that aren't at Ochsner. How will foreign medical graduates
get jobs in the US if they can't rotate at programs in places like NY,
CA, FL? I have realized my chances of getting a residency in NY are
poof! gone. I'd feel differently if someone had just been up front
with me from the start. Didn't we deserve that?
Oh, and did I mention that we are not eligable for residencies in many
US states? UQ hasn't even applied for eligibility in NY, CA, I don't
know where else. Think what you want about it, there's something to be
said for the theory that Ochsner only wants us to be eligible for
their residencies, and not for any other states. Don't misunerstand
me, they're putting millions $$$ into the program and deserve a
product, but to soak up the cream and leave any students they don't
want without other chances for residencies? Immoral ...
Add to this the fact that we don't get hardly any communication from
the administration, who obviously thought in taking on a new program
that we would just be a different "kind" of Canadian students. They
Canadians are in the majority of foreigners here, and they're easy
money / no commitment for the university.
MedEdPath never told you any of this? No big surprise. Their job is to
get premeds into our program ... they won't disclose info that's
counterproductive to their mission.
UQ never told you any of this? Again, big surprise, ditto ...
Best advice for anyone still thinking about doing our program - talk
to the students. You won't get anything even vaguely resembling the
truth from anyone else."

Hi guys, 2nd Year Ochsner Student here. Tarral told me to check it
out and honestly, I was amazed at what I read ... I can't believe the
equivocating going on here! Esp by Feliberti, really? Seriously, you
guys are being way too kind ...
Ask any Ochsner student, 1st Year or 2nd Year, and they will tell you
flat out that this program has been a mess. How? Let me list. One, we
have far more restrictions on where we can get clinical experience. we
have "special placements" in 1st year and 2nd year, right as we should
be studying for USMLE! Two, we get very little USMLE help. I read
MedEdPath's page about that and it said some crazy stuff about some
dude from Harvard overseeing our prep? Ha! Beyond imagining for any
student here. Three, we're not allowed to do any rotations in 3rd year
dn 4th year that aren't at Ochsner. How will foreign medical graduates
get jobs in the US if they can't rotate at programs in places like NY,
CA, FL? I have realized my chances of getting a residency in NY are
poof! gone. I'd feel differently if someone had just been up front
with me from the start. Didn't we deserve that?
Oh, and did I mention that we are not eligable for residencies in many
US states? UQ hasn't even applied for eligibility in NY, CA, I don't
know where else. Think what you want about it, there's something to be
said for the theory that Ochsner only wants us to be eligible for
their residencies, and not for any other states. Don't misunerstand
me, they're putting millions $$$ into the program and deserve a
product, but to soak up the cream and leave any students they don't
want without other chances for residencies? Immoral ...
Add to this the fact that we don't get hardly any communication from
the administration, who obviously thought in taking on a new program
that we would just be a different "kind" of Canadian students. They
Canadians are in the majority of foreigners here, and they're easy
money / no commitment for the university.
MedEdPath never told you any of this? No big surprise. Their job is to
get premeds into our program ... they won't disclose info that's
counterproductive to their mission.
UQ never told you any of this? Again, big surprise, ditto ...
Best advice for anyone still thinking about doing our program - talk
to the students. You won't get anything even vaguely resembling the
truth from anyone else."

Well from what I know at most US schools you need to take the USMLE or if you are a DO a COMLEX to go onto clinical rotations. This is also the case at the Caribbean schools that many Americans attend. Maybe there are some schools that let it go, but seriously, much of what you will be tested on in clinical rotations is based on that exam. I knew no one at USyd who did electives in the US without passing the Step 1.

Also Britt you bring up another can of worms with this program, state licensure, since its almost a separate degree program from regular UQ course, many states have not approved this degree. I know the established Australian medical schools including the regular UQ MBBS program is approved in all US States.

A lot of people I know who did the regular medical school path in Australia were able to go back home, but they worked very hard. Also did electives in the fourth year. Also many people, from my own experience, took the USMLE in the third year while rotating in Australia. In med school in Australia you get rather long breaks, I would suggest during those breaks to take a Step 1 prep course during those breaks.

Now many of these Ocshner students have enrolled in good faith hoping the administration will keep their end of the bargain, its only fair that they do so, now they started something, they have to finish it. I sure hope USyd or other schools in Australia do not attempt something like this. Wait, Monash has a medical school in Malaysia, but that is very well set up, and the entire period of education is in Malaysia not Australia.

Of course students are paying more for completing clinical education in the USA but they still need to link up the preclinical and clinical part of the program a lot better.

Last edited:
Well from what I know at most US schools you need to take the USMLE or if you are a DO a COMLEX to go onto clinical rotations. This is also the case at the Caribbean schools that many Americans attend. Maybe there are some schools that let it go, but seriously, much of what you will be tested on in clinical rotations is based on that exam. I knew no one at USyd who did electives in the US without passing the Step 1.

Also Britt you bring up another can of worms with this program, state licensure, since its almost a separate degree program from regular UQ course, many states have not approved this degree. I know the established Australian medical schools including the regular UQ MBBS program is approved in all US States.

A lot of people I know who did the regular medical school path in Australia were able to go back home, but they worked very hard. Also did electives in the fourth year. Also many people, from my own experience, took the USMLE in the third year while rotating in Australia. In med school in Australia you get rather long breaks, I would suggest during those breaks to take a Step 1 prep course during those breaks.

Now many of these Ocshner students have enrolled in good faith hoping the administration will keep their end of the bargain, its only fair that they do so, now they started something, they have to finish it. I sure hope USyd or other schools in Australia do not attempt something like this. Wait, Monash has a medical school in Malaysia, but that is very well set up, and the entire period of education is in Malaysia not Australia.

Of course students are paying more for completing clinical education in the USA but they still need to link up the preclinical and clinical part of the program a lot better.

I'm also a year 2 student in the program. I also agree that there have been some serious f* ups with it, and it is frustrating. But I expected some of it and think some people need to chill a little.

Really why I'm posting is to say this: one thing for sure Pacificblue, you are an idiot, or at least you come across that way. Others have said this and you really need to take it to heart - you're just mimicking what you hear like a parrot, and then throw out stuff that's ridiculously obvious and unhelpful or blatantly untrue. Reading through this mess of a thread, I cringe each time you make some claim knowing that you have no idea what you're saying except that someone else just said it. We all get that you as a NON Ochsner have issues with the program, but so the f* up? you add nothing to any discussion repeating what people here say. It's the worst kind of disinformation. Christ, it looks like you just post obsessively since you joined, just to hear yourself and to pretend you're knowledgeable in areas where you are unable to add anything new like some cheerleader for the 'cause'. YOU KNOW NOTHING - experience and knowledge in life do not come from sitting in front of a computer and reading what others say. It comes from being a part of it.

Do us all a favor and let those who have something firsthand to contribute do the talking and spare us your sanctimonious claptrap. Your thrice removed opinion is unhelpful and utterly meaningless. Peace.

Last edited:
I'm also a year 2 student in the program. I also agree that there have been some serious f* ups with it, and it is frustrating. But I expected some of it and think some people need to chill a little.

Really why I'm posting is to say this: one thing for sure Pacificblue, you are an idiot, or at least you come across that way. Others have said this and you really need to take it to heart - you're just mimicking what you hear like a parrot, and then throw out stuff that's ridiculously obvious and unhelpful or blatantly untrue. Reading through this mess of a thread, I cringe each time you make some claim knowing that you have no idea what you're saying except that someone else just said it. We all get that you as a NON Ochsner have issues with the program, but so the f* up? you add nothing to any discussion repeating what people here say. It's the worst kind of disinformation. Christ, it looks like you just post obsessively since you joined, just to hear yourself and to pretend you're knowledgeable in areas where you are unable to add anything new like some cheerleader for the 'cause'. YOU KNOW NOTHING - experience and knowledge in life do not come from sitting in front of a computer and reading what others say. It comes from being a part of it.

Do us all a favor and let those who have something firsthand to contribute do the talking and spare us your sanctimonious claptrap. Your thrice removed opinion is unhelpful and utterly meaningless. Peace.

I'm the "idiot". LOL. No I am not, I have been through the Australian system, I went to USyd, I know all about it and yes I hate UQ Ochsner but not UQ itself, I question why they created this program and it was clear that it was to make money. There are many North Americans who do have very high regard for Australian medical schools and they also do not like what UQ is trying to do, many of these people are here precisely because they do not want the stigma of being lumped with the Caribbean graduates when they go home.

Many locals do see UQ as a diploma mill. First it increased both local and international places rather drastically a couple of years ago, second it created the program you are enrolled in, and you will be 250k in the hole for a program that is clearly not doing what they said. I think "idiot" might describe you.

Finishing US and Canadian electives can go a long way in helping you get the experience and LORs you need to get a residency back home. Also a lot of people in the regular programs have told me that their Australian clinical experiences have actually added a lot to their application for US and Canadian residencies. Many PDs were fascinated by their experiences. In fact I ran a search, and saw Australian graduates in programs where they were the only IMGs. Also with regard to the USMLE Step 1, most people I know at USyd have done very well on it, I have not yet heard of anyone who failed it, a few got average grades, many did stellar. They represent a small number of students but it is indeed possible to succeed in Australia and most people do it.

Already Britt mentioned a possible problem with this degree with licensure, the regular UQ course is California approved, but I wonder about this one, some states will nitpick the fact that you completed basic sciences in one country and clinical core rotations in another.

Last edited:
Thanks Pacific. Dunno how you got to know all this stuff? LOL

The trouble with the rotations in 4th year is Ochsner students arent
allowed to rotate ANYWHERE other than Ochsner.

Actually there is a rotation we have to return to Brisbane for in 4th
year but its at UQ, and at our own cost ... flights, accom, all of it.
Ive heard just coming back for that one 'token' rotation is going to
cost each student like $5000 on top of tuition. Again, beyond
imagining ...

So now that we cant do rotations away from Ochsner/UQ ... what do we
do about getting time in other programs etc? We have put this question
to the faculty and they gave no answer, nada. Which is why we all
suspect that Ochsner wants to keep us for itself ... but what about
the students Ochsner doesnt want to keep? I guess you gets lots of
timeoff in your program but we get just a week in between 3rd and 4th
year.

Actually there is a rotation we have to return to Brisbane for in 4th year but its at UQ, and at our own cost ... flights, accom, all of it. Ive heard just coming back for that one 'token' rotation is going to
cost each student like $5000 on top of tuition.
$5000 sounds a bit steep.

The UQMS needs to address this. Assuming the requirement is being imposed by the AMC, the UQMS should lobby the SoM to AT LEAST put up for accommodation (as though the students were on rural) to reduce the cost to tickets alone, or given that this was an imposed extra burden, ticket cost should come out of tuition.

I don't think anything can be done about the other terms having to be done at Ochsner -- that would be in appeasement to the AMC, not as some greedy way to keep students (they'll be getting plenty as it is). But while you get a small leg up at external places you'd do terms at, like with US trained students you wouldn't normally end up at one of those 1-2 places (you'd be applying to like 10 places around the country). But yeah, it sucks if you're super keen on a specific location and want the chance to impress them.

Last edited:
$5000 sounds a bit steep.

The UQMS needs to address this. Assuming the requirement is being imposed by the AMC, the UQMS should lobby the SoM to AT LEAST put up for accommodation (as though the students were on rural) to reduce the cost to tickets alone, or given that this was an imposed extra burden, ticket cost should come out of tuition.

I don't think anything can be done about the other terms having to be done at Ochsner -- that would be in appeasement to the AMC, not as some greedy way to keep students (they'll be getting plenty as it is). But while you get a small leg up at external places you'd do terms at, like with US trained students you wouldn't normally end up at one of those 1-2 places (you'd be applying to like 10 places around the country). But yeah, it sucks if you're super keen on a specific location and want the chance to impress them.

5000 Dollars!!!! Just to come back to Australia for one rotation? Why? Can UQ Ochsner graduates apply for internship in Australia and work in Australia?

Seriously this program smacks of the Caribbean diploma mill mentality, that is why I do not like it, they are getting too overzealous in cashing in on North American students.

5000 Dollars!!!! Just to come back to Australia for one rotation? Why? Can UQ Ochsner graduates apply for internship in Australia and work in Australia?
Of course they can. Jesus, without even knowing this sort of basic fact, you've tried and convicted the program?

The price was simply someone's estimate of costs to fly and accommodation for a rotation, but it's a bit inflated.

Referring to costs incurred presumably resulting from an AMC requirement does nothing to support your prejudice that the program is a diploma mill. It's as if you equate $ with money grab irrespective of where the costs lie. Yes, the program is expensive, yes the extra cost to return sucks big time, but no, it is not a good example of exhorbitance on the part of the SoM. Though the SoM should be pressured to the hilt to cover it.

Seriously you are another seppo that I should put on ignore.
Anytime now...

Of course they can. Jesus, without even knowing this sort of basic fact, you've tried and convicted the program?

The price was simply someone's estimate of costs to fly and accommodation for a rotation, but it's a bit inflated.

Referring to costs incurred presumably resulting from an AMC requirement does nothing to support your prejudice that the program is a diploma mill. It's as if you equate $ with money grab irrespective of where the costs lie. Yes, the program is expensive, yes the extra cost to return sucks big time, but no, it is not a good example of exhorbitance on the part of the SoM. Though the SoM should be pressured to the hilt to cover it.

Anytime now...

Well I do not like what UQ is doing at all. And I really do not like how USyd is now handling things as well, it seems to be following UQ in radically increasing international student seats. USyd eliminated the interview for internationals, and increased the international population to 80. That does not sound good to me, interviews in my opinion are crucial in determining if one is suitable for medical school.

So if I go back to North America I guess my degree won't be much better than a Caribbean graduate. Part of why many consider Australia is not just to practice here possibly but the fact the Australian universities are world renown research schools with a history of excellence and are on par with the best schools in North America and the UK.

Other schools such as Flinders and ANU, and others have kept their international student seats quite steady. I have always had a high opinion of Dr. Edwards, even though I did not attend the school. But if I was an international student I would rather go to a smaller school.

Thanks Pacific. Dunno how you got to know all this stuff? LOL

The trouble with the rotations in 4th year is Ochsner students arent
allowed to rotate ANYWHERE other than Ochsner.

Actually there is a rotation we have to return to Brisbane for in 4th
year but its at UQ, and at our own cost ... flights, accom, all of it.
Ive heard just coming back for that one 'token' rotation is going to
cost each student like $5000 on top of tuition. Again, beyond
imagining ...

So now that we cant do rotations away from Ochsner/UQ ... what do we
do about getting time in other programs etc? We have put this question
to the faculty and they gave no answer, nada. Which is why we all
suspect that Ochsner wants to keep us for itself ... but what about
the students Ochsner doesnt want to keep? I guess you gets lots of
timeoff in your program but we get just a week in between 3rd and 4th
year.

if all this is true, i'd probably start arranging to take action if i was in the Oschner cohort. you are paying big money and have the right to know what the hell you are paying for. if they never disclosed that you could not do rotations elsewhere, make some noise. make a lot of noise. that is obviously a huge problem. one for which you probably would not have agreed to pay such hugh tuition fees to deal with. if you stage a protest with a them of fighting for the rights of students, that will make oschner look bad. given the loads of money oschner has invested in this, they will not want bad press that could damage its reputation and jeopardize the return they expect on this investment. you have the right to be treated fairly. you should not be held in the dark. you deserve for administration to address your concerns in a fair manner. individuals going up to the office may not be effective. sounds like some have tried with no results. get the entire cohort involved. get a every student to sign a petition that demands UQ to respond to your concerns. just my 2 cents.

Pitman - youre right, a lot of what has gone through has been to
appease the AMC who supposedly were rather old fashioned in their view
of the program ... but who eventually came around and approved it. We
all knew UQ would have to bargain, throw in some expensive chips etc.
We were ready for all that ... but so much of what was to become was
never told to us when we signed up, hence the student disgust.

I don't know why you think $5000 is a lot for a 8 week rotation. Think
about it - $2000-$2500 airfare, $1200-$1800 rent, $1000-$1500 living
epxenses, and then all the other stuff that costs money in life. $5000
might be cheap. It could be $7000. Your idea of UQ helping to pay for
rent/airfare/anything else is awesome! But unrealistic. Weve totally
asked them what they might cover, they have totally dismissed the
issue ...

Pitman - youre right, a lot of what has gone through has been to
appease the AMC who supposedly were rather old fashioned in their view
of the program ... but who eventually came around and approved it. We
all knew UQ would have to bargain, throw in some expensive chips etc.
We were ready for all that ... but so much of what was to become was
never told to us when we signed up, hence the student disgust.

I don't know why you think $5000 is a lot for a 8 week rotation. Think
about it - $2000-$2500 airfare, $1200-$1800 rent, $1000-$1500 living
epxenses, and then all the other stuff that costs money in life. $5000
might be cheap. It could be $7000. Your idea of UQ helping to pay for
rent/airfare/anything else is awesome! But unrealistic. Weve totally
asked them what they might cover, they have totally dismissed the
issue ...

Many people I know at USyd completed elective rotations in the U S and were able to match in North America. What UQ is doing to your cohort is just BS. Also you should look up Flinders grads, they have had very strong history of doing well in residency matches.

BrittB is right. We do have to come back to UQ in fourth year for a
rotation, and it will cost something like what she mentioned, and UQ
has not offered to cover any of the costs. I understand the only
reason we have to come back for a rotation is the AMC requires it. UQ
has said it makes no difference to them and they would just as well
have us spend all two years in New Orleans. But UQ doesn't get to
decide. Of course the idea of having us come back was UQ's in the
first place - the AMC just okayed it, that was all. I would just like
to say again that any premeds looking at this program should take care
to ask to be put in touch with current students to get correct info on
this. This issue of clinical experience in Queensland is a great
example. There are 3 special requirements that apply specifically to