Urgent! Advice on Taking Nov. 7 or Postpone. Thanks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basicallyno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have a big question.

I've been studying for the MCAT for about 4.5 months now, and my test is on November 7th. But recently, I have started taking the full length AAMC tests and the results have been somewhat disappointing, which are:
AAMC 3: 10/7/10, AAMC 4: 10/9/9, AAMC 5: 12/8/10

I totally understand those are "above average" for overall performance, but I really wanted to hit a 33-34 (~11 in each section) when I first started studying to compensate for my lower GPA (cGPA 3.3-3.5), and I feel like my time is running out and I am at a lost to what to do. Also, as you can see, my weakness is in Verbal. Another thing is I have been unable to maintain a regular sleep schedule- And I am scared that come test day, I won't be able to function fully..

So the question I would like to ask is, what would you do in my case? Would you just go through with it and take it in November 7, or cancel the test and take the risk and try to find a spot for December and/or January? If I go through with it, I am planning on taking AAMC 7, 9, and 11 (already took 10), but doing this will exhaust all my AAMC material for a possible retake. Also, I am using TPR class material.

Thanks for any advice! Really appreciate the help you guys always provide me.

Members don't see this ad.

I see no reason why you should cancel your test - I see strong, consistent improvement in your AAMCs - 10-12 in BS is a matter of 4-5 questions and I think you can probably accomplish that by next week.
Take all the AAMC exams - I'm not sure how your sleep schedule factors into it as all premeds are sleep deprived aliens lol.

Reactions: 1 user
You sound exactly like me, and we have similar gpa and scores and we are both doing online TPR material (super hard to me btw). My friends are not letting me reschedule. My plan is to take it, and if I screwed up on a passage or have to guess many times, then I will void and reschedule. Even my two friends who made above 30 had to guess on some questions due to timing. You will never feel 100% for this test, but you (we) both have potential to hit above 30 with our current scores.

Strengthen up whatever you feel necessary in these two weeks, plenty of time btw. Imagine like two weeks until a midterm. Void if you have to, I think that's the best option at this point.

I see no reason why you should cancel your test - I see strong, consistent improvement in your AAMCs - 10-12 in BS is a matter of 4-5 questions and I think you can probably accomplish that by next week.
Take all the AAMC exams - I'm not sure how your sleep schedule factors into it as all premeds are sleep deprived aliens lol.

I feel SUPER guilty for having all the sleep I want. I was up until 3 this morning for no reason because I just get so much sleep :(. My days don't even start until noon or after lol. OP, adjust your sleep next week and lay off stimulants late in the day. You're as nervous as the rest of us, it's natural.

Members don't see this ad :)

You sound exactly like me, and we have similar gpa and scores and we are both doing online TPR material (super hard to me btw). My friends are not letting me reschedule. My plan is to take it, and if I screwed up on a passage or have to guess many times, then I will void and reschedule. Even my two friends who made above 30 had to guess on some questions due to timing. You will never feel 100% for this test, but you (we) both have potential to hit above 30 with our current scores.

Strengthen up whatever you feel necessary in these two weeks, plenty of time btw. Imagine like two weeks until a midterm. Void if you have to, I think that's the best option at this point.

Thanks! So you guys wouldn't suggest canceling?? But dang I am getting so nervous that I am very unproductive today. Think I am burning out man...

If you're burning out, then I think the first thing you need to do is take a day off - what's the point of putting in all this effort if come test day you can't even think clearly?
See how you feel after taking a full day off, and your practice test scores may actually improve after a day of rest and enjoyment.
You can take 5 practice tests in a week (7, 8, 9, 10, & 11), but my advice for you is to skip 7 and 8 and focus on 9,10, and 11 with the time you have remaining.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! So you guys wouldn't suggest canceling?? But dang I am getting so nervous that I am very unproductive today. Think I am burning out man...

don't reschedule. take a day or two light flashcard-type review or off completely. you aren't learning anything this late anyway, it's all just honing in at this point.

you need some time off. have some fun (a few drinks, golfing, laser tag, etc)

You sound like me too.... But I would say study your mistakes really carefully and do some review of the topic. Maybe don't take another FL if it will hurt your exam-day morale.. (ie: a runner isn't going to run 20 miles a day or two before an important marathon).

If you're burning out, then I think the first thing you need to do is take a day off - what's the point of putting in all this effort if come test day you can't even think clearly?
See how you feel after taking a full day off, and your practice test scores may actually improve after a day of rest and enjoyment.
You can take 5 practice tests in a week (7, 8, 9, 10, & 11), but my advice for you is to skip 7 and 8 and focus on 9,10, and 11 with the time you have remaining.

don't reschedule. take a day or two light flashcard-type review or off completely. you aren't learning anything this late anyway, it's all just honing in at this point.

you need some time off. have some fun (a few drinks, golfing, laser tag, etc)

You sound like me too.... But I would say study your mistakes really carefully and do some review of the topic. Maybe don't take another FL if it will hurt your exam-day morale.. (ie: a runner isn't going to run 20 miles a day or two before an important marathon).

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Just took the AAMC #7 today for a 10/7/11. So discouraged by the verbal. What can I do between now and Test Day to make it at least a little more stable on the 9 side? :(

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Just took the AAMC #7 today for a 10/7/11. So discouraged by the verbal. What can I do between now and Test Day to make it at least a little more stable on the 9 side? :(

how are you post-gaming? becoming familiar with the TYPES of questions AAMC asks in verbal may help in the fact that you could see a question and say okay this is going to require extrapolating outside of the passage, etc. if you have EK101, i like that a lot and that is a common feeling here on SDN.

otherwise, just getting a more positive vibe going. the harder you are on yourself, the worse you will do. you're not destined to fail, so stop convincing yourself that youare.