Urine Drug Screen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ari202

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been prescribed a stimulant medication ever since I started medical school for my ADHD and co-existing depression. I recently matched and I know that I will have to take a drug screen. I have done so before for rotations and provided them a copy of my prescription, there was no issue.

However, I noticed that there was an application where I filled out before interview, if I was taking any medication that would impair my clinical judgement, I wrote "no", because I do not believe it would. I am wondering though, when I complete the drug screen and give the agency my prescription, will they tell my residency office of the specific drug and will they withdraw my application?

I'm a little confused as to how this will work as I have a valid prescription and I follow up with my physician regularly. Does law vary by state on this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You're overthinking this. Tell them at the UDS what they need to know and be able to show proof that you have a prescription. If your UDS shows what it's supposed to show, it will most likely stay at the OccHealth level and not go to your PD or anyone else; they just need to know you are able to work. OccHealth departments exist in hospitals to make sure you have all your immunizations and other requirements completed---the PD has enough responsibilities and has better things to do than track this stuff him/herself for every resident. If there are concerns, you will be notified and protocols would be followed to ensure this is handled fairly. If you have a prescription, you should have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 2 users
You're overthinking this. Tell them at the UDS what they need to know and be able to show proof that you have a prescription. If your UDS shows what it's supposed to show, it will most likely stay at the OccHealth level and not go to your PD or anyone else; they just need to know you are able to work. OccHealth departments exist in hospitals to make sure you have all your immunizations and other requirements completed---the PD has enough responsibilities and has better things to do than track this stuff him/herself for every resident. If there are concerns, you will be notified and protocols would be followed to ensure this is handled fairly. If you have a prescription, you should have nothing to worry about.

Thanks, thats what I'm going to do.

Yes, my colleague takes an ADHD stimulant and he just has to show his recent prescription and they make note of it, not a big deal as far as I know