About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Urine hypertonic to the blood?

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by darkhope, Jun 24, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. darkhope

darkhope

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi guys, so i was looking at a study review, and it states that the primary function of the nephron is to create urine that is hypertonic to the blood? But I don't get that, because urine is supposedly so concentrated to limit water loss so how can urine be hypertonic to blood if its so concentrated...shouldn't it be hypotonic instead...i'm so confused...
  2. loveoforganic

loveoforganic -Account Deactivated-

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hypertonic means it has a bunch of crap in it. Your logic is right, you're just mixing up your terms
  3. MShopes

MShopes

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Simply put, hypertonic means it has higher solute amount. When it says so concentrated means it has higher solute concentration than the blood and thus it is hypertonic to the blood since the blood has lower solute content and higher solution.
  4. darkhope

darkhope

SDN 7+ Year Member
    thanks alot guys!
  5. salim271

salim271 Patience is tough. :/

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Water loss can be limited by hormones such as aldosterone and ADH. The membranes in the nephrons can be manipulated to lose solutes, water, or both. Whether the urine is hyper or hypo to its environment doesnt matter if there is an impermeable membrane between them.
  6. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Van Wilder Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The best way to think of it...

The way the kidney is set up... specifically the transporters in the nephron allow for concentration of the urine. Plus the gradients help too. Here's a good animation.

http://www.cellphys.ubc.ca/undergrad_files/urine.swf