MD & DO URM-3.3 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, 515 MCAT- school suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicolenicky22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Helloooo,
Colorado resident, attending school in Mississippi

Molecular Biology major
Chemistry Minor

I'm applying this cycle and probably look super complicated on paper:

URM: African American female, first gen.
Freshman & soph more year strong GPA 3.5+, I transferred Universities due to family reasons (one 4 year to another, no CC)
Junior year took a huge downfall adjusting to new University much much larger than previous
Senior currently, graduating in December (GPA's are predictive of my final graduating semester)
On a strong strong upward trend- like 3.7 (fall), 4.0 (midterm grades), 4.0 (final semester)

EC's/Experience:
I'm nearly bilingual in Spanish, I spent a month in Ecuador volunteering at a free clinic

300+ hours volunteering and shadowing (clinical-abroad)
~20 hours clinical shadowing in country (only DO)

200+ hours community service (non clinical)
-Coach for High School Speech and Debate
-Food Bank
-Student Peer mentor
-Volunteer Tutor for elementary school kids

2 years research experience,
-3 National Conference poster presentations
-Awarded Grant money for written proposals
-Hoping for publication
-In Honors College and working on Honors Thesis

Numerous Exec leadership positions and organization involvement
local and state Pageant titles (under which I have community service and program implementations)

I also have held constant employment (not medical related) since my second semester Sophomore year working about 20-30 hours a week to support myself.

I'm a strong writer and I have actual explanations about all my circumstances, I am truly not looking for anyone to tell me to hold off on applying I have already determined that I am going to apply no matter what so I would really appreciate some suggestions (smp's too!) . Particularly schools with higher oos rates.

Thank yoooou!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Aim high! Start with U CO, those in neighboring states, U MS, and the HBCs. MCAT will make or break you, naturally.
You don't think she can try for the higher tier schools?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Will depend on MCAT, but likely.
I dont know if you miss this but she states she have a 515. With that being said dont you think she should reach a bit higher ?? I think i misread your post because it seemed like you didnt realized the MCAT score was already issued

that's what I get for trying to read and post while I'm walking the stupid dog and reading SDN on my cell!

OP should aim higher. Keck, Dartmouth, Case, Rochester, Einstein, Hofstra, Emory, come to mind. UAB, IU, and U WV as well.

I dont know if you miss this but she states she have a 515. With that being said dont you think she should reach a bit higher ?? I think i misread your post because it seemed like you didnt realized the MCAT score was already issued

that's what I get for trying to read and post while I'm walking the stupid dog and reading SDN on my cell!

OP should aim higher. Keck, Dartmouth, Case, Rochester, Einstein, Hofstra, Emory, come to mind. UAB, IU, and U WV as well.
No worries you are normally spot on with your suggestions so I noticed something was off. OP work hard on your interview skills and congrats on your score

And not because you are a Cat you are allowed to abuse the dog by calling it stupid!

Aim high! Start with U CO, those in neighboring states, U MS, and the HBCs. MCAT will make or break you, naturally.

UMMC will only take MS residents. Even if you have been in MS for school, they will not look at you. Similar to LSU-Shreveport with regards to rules.

Most of the schools in the tri-state area will only take southerners. William Carey may be worth looking into if you are just dying to stay in MS.

If you could convince LSU-NO that you fell in love with the (dirty) South while in Mississippi, you might have a small chance. Best of luck!

What about Columbia?

Wow. Seriously? I was super hesitant about posting on here because I thought I was gonna get destroyed after reading some of the other threads but I definitely wasn't aiming that high Thanks!

UMMC will only take MS residents. Even if you have been in MS for school, they will not look at you. Similar to LSU-Shreveport with regards to rules.

Most of the schools in the tri-state area will only take southerners. William Carey may be worth looking into if you are just dying to stay in MS.

If you could convince LSU-NO that you fell in love with the (dirty) South while in Mississippi, you might have a small chance. Best of luck!

Yea I was considering changing my residency status because I do have network connections to UMMC, my school is a huge feeder for it but I would rather give my chances to U CO back home

I know they get a ton of applications apparently but think Georgetown is doable?

Wow. Seriously? I was super hesitant about posting on here because I thought I was gonna get destroyed after reading some of the other threads but I definitely wasn't aiming that high Thanks!
Your URM status, MCAT, Bilingual, and activities saved you from your GPA

Reactions: 1 users
Helloooo,
Colorado resident, attending school in Mississippi

Molecular Biology major
Chemistry Minor

I'm applying this cycle and probably look super complicated on paper:

URM: African American female, first gen.
Freshman & soph more year strong GPA 3.5+, I transferred Universities due to family reasons (one 4 year to another, no CC)
Junior year took a huge downfall adjusting to new University much much larger than previous
Senior currently, graduating in December (GPA's are predictive of my final graduating semester)
On a strong strong upward trend- like 3.7 (fall), 4.0 (midterm grades), 4.0 (final semester)

EC's/Experience:
I'm nearly bilingual in Spanish, I spent a month in Ecuador volunteering at a free clinic

300+ hours volunteering and shadowing (clinical-abroad)
~20 hours clinical shadowing in country (only DO)

200+ hours community service (non clinical)
-Coach for High School Speech and Debate
-Food Bank
-Student Peer mentor
-Volunteer Tutor for elementary school kids

2 years research experience,
-3 National Conference poster presentations
-Awarded Grant money for written proposals
-Hoping for publication
-In Honors College and working on Honors Thesis

Numerous Exec leadership positions and organization involvement
local and state Pageant titles (under which I have community service and program implementations)

I also have held constant employment (not medical related) since my second semester Sophomore year working about 20-30 hours a week to support myself.

I'm a strong writer and I have actual explanations about all my circumstances, I am truly not looking for anyone to tell me to hold off on applying I have already determined that I am going to apply no matter what so I would really appreciate some suggestions (smp's too!) . Particularly schools with higher oos rates.

Thank yoooou!

I am from Colorado as well, and although I will be attending a different med school this fall, UColorado SOM is very holistic, and if you are still a Colorado resident, you should have a good shot of getting in there. My interview experience was very positive, and it is a phenomenal school. As long as you explain your unique circumstances to them (and to any school), I don't think you have anything to worry about -- especially with such a strong MCAT. Definitely have a good breadth and depth to your school list, as the process is such a crapshoot, but don't sell yourself short; it looks like you have a strong file.

Wow I have almost the same stats. (except my cGPA is 3.2 and I havent taken the MCAT yet). But yeah, same major, same minor, (neuroscience certificate added) similar ECs, I'm conversationally fluent in Spanish and worked in clinics in Latin America and Nigeria for 3 winter break periods. Hi! lol