Urm..3.91cgpa.. What are my chances.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Keem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Plant Science Major
3.91cGPA
No idea what my sGPA is but ive only recieved a B in 2 science classes (Org 2 and Statistics)
URM (Black)
Graduated in 3 1/2 years as Class Valedictorian. (relatively small school)

ECs aren't that great compared to what ive seen on here.
  • 55 clinical volunteer hours
  • 2 summers and 1 semester conducting research in U.S.( no publications)
  • 1 summer conducting research in Brazil. (no publications)
  • 20-30 Habitat for Humannities hours
  • Currently working on shadowing a physician.( Waiting to get hospital clearance and badge)
  • Worked atleast 20hrs a week since the 2nd semester of my freshman year
I currently work full time at a research lab while attempting to study for the MCAT. Not going as well as i'd hope. Ive only taken one practice test and I made a 27 (PS:8 VR:10 BS:9)

I plan to apply as early as possible. Im shooting for June 1st but from what Ive been reading, the application should be sent to AAMC before then so that it can be verified by June??? Been trying to gather as much info in my spare time as possible. Sooo..... any advice would be helpful.

Planning to apply to HBCUS, Mid-Tier, and maybe a few Top 20s depending on how my MCAT looks

Members don't see this ad.

Plant Science Major
3.91cGPA
No idea what my sGPA is but ive only recieved a B in 2 science classes (Org 2 and Statistics)
URM (Black)
Graduated in 3 1/2 years as Class Valedictorian. (relatively small school)

ECs aren't that great compared to what ive seen on here.
  • 55 clinical volunteer hours
  • 2 summers and 1 semester conducting research in U.S.( no publications)
  • 1 summer conducting research in Brazil. (no publications)
  • 20-30 Habitat for Humannities hours
  • Currently working on shadowing a physician.( Waiting to get hospital clearance and badge)
  • Worked atleast 20hrs a week since the 2nd semester of my freshman year
I currently work full time at a research lab while attempting to study for the MCAT. Not going as well as i'd hope. Ive only taken one practice test and I made a 27 (PS:8 VR:10 BS:9)

I plan to apply as early as possible. Im shooting for June 1st but from what Ive been reading, the application should be sent to AAMC before then so that it can be verified by June??? Been trying to gather as much info in my spare time as possible. Sooo..... any advice would be helpful.

Planning to apply to HBCUS, Mid-Tier, and maybe a few Top 20s depending on how my MCAT looks
Nice GPA. You've got some time before applying to build further on your ECs. The most critical would be to gain more active clinical experience through your volunteer position, and to add a decent number of shadowing hours.

The AMCAS application opens in May so you can start to fill it out. You can't submit it until June 3 (per the website). They can't verify it until all your official transcripts (from the Registrar, ideally with the suitable AMCAS form attached) arrive.

Even with a 27 MCAT, your chances will be good, considering your GPA. If you are ambitious and aspire to a more selective research-oriented school, a higher score is helpful, as would be a peer leadership role (maybe something from work would qualify?).

Nice GPA. You've got some time before applying to build further on your ECs. The most critical would be to gain more active clinical experience through your volunteer position, and to add a decent number of shadowing hours.

The AMCAS application opens in May so you can start to fill it out. You can't submit it until June 3 (per the website). They can't verify it until all your official transcripts (from the Registrar, ideally with the suitable AMCAS form attached) arrive.

Even with a 27 MCAT, your chances will be good, considering your GPA. If you are ambitious and aspire to a more selective research-oriented school, a higher score is helpful, as would be a peer leadership role (maybe something from work would qualify?).

Thank You!
And what would you suggest is a "decent number of shadowing hours"? I know I can get atleast 50 by the time I apply if all goes well. Or should I be shooting for more?

Members don't see this ad :)
50 shadowing hours would be perfect, being about the average listed. If you can get the hospital hours up to 100 total, I'd consider that a desirable minimum.

Any chance of additional time on a Habitat for Humanity house this spring? That would be beneficial to your application as well.

50 shadowing hours would be perfect, being about the average listed. If you can get the hospital hours up to 100 total, I'd consider that a desirable minimum.

Any chance of additional time on a Habitat for Humanity house this spring? That would be beneficial to your application as well.

I honestly dont think I have the time, but Ill see. As of now im working 40+ hours M-F and studying after work. I plan on studying/shadowing Saturday and more studying Sunday ( ideal schedule). And I moved to a different state for this research position, so im not sure if my area has H4H. But I will check it out.