Urm female, 28 MCAT, cGPA:3.3 sGPA:3.1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tintalove15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I have any chance at any MD/DO schools? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
EC: Gospel Choir: freshman year
Student Government Association: Sophomore year
Church deaconess: 2010-2012
Nursing Home Visitation Ministry with Church: On and off for 2 years
Currently: Serve lunch at homeless shelter 2x a week
Volunteer in hospital ICU waiting room 1x week/4 hrs
Tutor inner city children 1-2x a week
Volunteer at hospice 1x a week

I am currently working to find doctors who I can shadow but I am having trouble doing so, so any suggestions on how to go about doing this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you do, I'm assuming you are applying in the 2015 cycle. Turn in your primary for both the first week of June. Have all secondaries finished by the middle to the end of July. Apply to at least 15 schools if you can, and apply broadly and strategically, use the MSAR to your advantage. In addition to shadowing, I would suggest getting some research experience as well. I'm not sure what to tell you for shadowing, because every area is different. But just email as many doctors as you can in your area.

Yes you do, I'm assuming you are applying in the 2015 cycle. Turn in your primary for both the first week of June. Have all secondaries finished by the middle to the end of July. Apply to at least 15 schools if you can, and apply broadly and strategically, use the MSAR to your advantage. In addition to shadowing, I would suggest getting some research experience as well. I'm not sure what to tell you for shadowing, because every area is different. But just email as many doctors as you can in your area.

Yes, I am applying for the 2015 cycle..I decided to take a year off to better strengthen my application. Thank you for the advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am applying for the 2015 cycle..I decided to take a year off to better strengthen my application. Thank you for the advice.

with a 28 MCAT you are strong for DO. Your GPA may be a little low for MD, stats for the HBCU schools are approaching 3.6, 28.

Reactions: 1 user
You ECs seem good for shadowing experience I first tried talking to your own personal physician and then branching out to his associates and try to do different fields. MCAT if you have the time, means of study and funds I would retake to see if you can boost to a 30 because you are so close to it and then MCAT wouldn't be a problem for MD/DO (still not a problem for some MD/most DO but better to be able to rest), use the MSAR to you advantage and MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS IN FOR YOUR APPLICATION EARLY. You don't have the stats and ECs to survive an November verfied AMCAS but you can a August one