URM non-trad ,3.0cgpa,~3.3-3.5 cgpa,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

which cycle

• june 2016

• june 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

prettypremed12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a non-trad student. I was an undergraduate psychology major- did not do too hot in college and ended up with a 3.0 flat. A year later..
I then went on to take the pre-med reqs at my state flagship school and struggled a bit at first-mostly in chemistry- lot of events happened in my personal life that made it difficult to be successful at some points.
However, I have taken many upper level bio courses in which I have gotten A's. I also retook any courses with C's (which were 2) and got A's.

Right now: my scgpa is higher than my cgpa. I have not taken the mcat yet.

I have clinical experience, volunteer experience, shadowing, 2 publications and continue to add to this list of activities...Sidenote: Do publications of any type in the health field get looked at in a favorable way? They were published for JH in Psychiatry thought the research itself was more like literature research.

I am highly interested in GEMS program at Gtown for URM's and similar programs. I also plan to apply broadly- M.D, D.O, Post-baccs, SMP'S, Carribean, Heck, even Mexican Schools..

Advice on taking the chance of going fishing for one of these programs (they require you to apply to at least one med school) coming cycle june 2016 v.s waiting until june 2017 cycle --by that time, i will have taken at least 4-5 more biology courses which would really boost my scgpa since I usually get A's in Bio courses.

Members don't see this ad.