URM offering help to anyone applying!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smoove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! My application cycle pretty much just finished and despite my nervousness when submitting my app, everything turned out great! (Managed to snag a couple top 10 acceptances).

Now I want to give back to whoever may need it. I know I had some questions that I didn't feel comfortable asking throughout my pre med years/ didn't know who to ask. So, im available to answer whatever question you may have (feel free to PM me about anything at all!!) I know the URM side of the forums is a bit dead but I wanted to liven things up a bit. My offer stands till whenever and I hope I can help at least one person!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 18 users
Hi all! My application cycle pretty much just finished and despite my nervousness when submitting my app, everything turned out great! (Managed to snag a couple top 10 acceptances).

Now I want to give back to whoever may need it. I know I had some questions that I didn't feel comfortable asking throughout my pre med years/ didn't know who to ask. So, im available to answer whatever question you may have (feel free to PM me about anything at all!!) I know the URM side of the forums is a bit dead but I wanted to liven things up a bit. My offer stands till whenever and I hope I can help at least one person!
Congrats man!! Do you mind if I ask stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Like my brother @Smoove, I would also like to offer my assistance to anyone that wants it! :hijacked:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Wonderful thread & admirable to see you giving back to others. Congrats on the successful cycle! I'm an URM male and was accepted this cycle as well. I'm also available to assist others who have questions/need advice. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! Congrats on your acceptances! I'm a first year medical student. If you all have any questions as well, feel free to reach out to me! :)

Hope you're all relaxing and enjoying these last few months before medical school starts :D

Last edited:
I'll probably need some help eventually! I'm 32, married with 3 kids (ages 7, 5, and 4), and have been practicing law since 2007. I started undergrad as pre-law/pre-med, but ended up going the law route. It was not the right decision for me, and I'm finally ready to begin the long road back in the right direction. I just applied to take some science pre-reqs (orgo, bio, and biochem), with an eye toward taking the MCAT in summer 2017 with a hopeful fall 2018 matriculation.

I'm taking the MCAT this August and applying next year so I thought I would check in. I know that I'm set on only want to apply to HBCU medical schools (I went to one for undergrad). I have a good amount of shadowing, volunteering and research (doing a research program this summer) but I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks guys!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking the MCAT this August and applying next year so I thought I would check in. I know that I'm set on only want to apply to HBCU medical schools (I went to one for undergrad). I have a good amount of shadowing, volunteering and research (doing a research program this summer) but I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks guys!
PM'ed

Has anyone here been accepted to a PWI medical school from an HBCU undergrad and, if so, what was the transition like?

I know that I'm set on only want to apply to HBCU medical schools (I went to one for undergrad).

I wonder if you might consider a different viewpoint? I went to an HBCU (best 4 years of my life) and recently got accepted to a PWI. Haven't started yet so I can't comment on the experience but my reason for applying to PWIs was so that I could re-integrate myself into the greater population. Almost a way to kind of ease the culture shock a bit lol.

I think the nurturing environment is cool at HBCU's but it's not realistic in terms of the real world and who your colleagues will be. It's important to know how to interact with the people you work with and also be able to interact with a wide patient demographic. Just my personal opinion but I think continuing the HBCU route might make it difficult later on.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a non-trad or trad student?

how are you choosing which medical school you are going to? I'm having a hard time.
What are you deciding between? I think I have a preference since I went to undergrad in the same city as one of them and I love the city, but ultimately the money will decide for me

I wonder if you might consider a different viewpoint? I went to an HBCU (best 4 years of my life) and recently got accepted to a PWI. Haven't started yet so I can't comment on the experience but my reason for applying to PWIs was so that I could re-integrate myself into the greater population. Almost a way to kind of ease the culture shock a bit lol.

I think the nurturing environment is cool at HBCU's but it's not realistic in terms of the real world and who your colleagues will be. It's important to know how to interact with the people you work with and also be able to interact with a wide patient demographic. Just my personal opinion but I think continuing the HBCU route might make it difficult later on.

Great insight. I'm apart of the CDU/UCLA program which is unique in the fact that you get the best of both worlds. CDU is considered a historically black graduate institution (HBGI), but you still interact with other students as apart of the Geffen program, so you see the challenges head on. Although, I would recommend a person apply to schools that fit their personal mission, and if that means applying to schools that are HBCUs, Wright State and so on is a great place to start.

Great insight. I'm apart of the CDU/UCLA program which is unique in the fact that you get the best of both worlds. CDU is considered a historically black graduate institution (HBGI), but you still interact with other students as apart of the Geffen program, so you see the challenges head on. Although, I would recommend a person apply to schools that fit their personal mission, and if that means applying to schools that are HBCUs, Wright State and so on is a great place to start.

Yea, I meant to caveat my statement with that. Honestly, you should go wherever you feel most comfortable and will succeed. The first hurdle is getting the MD/DO.

And interestingly, this is my first time hearing of an HBGI

Thank you so much for doing this! I was wondering about the helpfulness of the diversity offices at medical schools. Do they really help URM get in or would an URM be able to get in regardless of their help? Do you have any experience with them "going to bat for" an applicant?

Thank you so much for doing this! I was wondering about the helpfulness of the diversity offices at medical schools. Do they really help URM get in or would an URM be able to get in regardless of their help? Do you have any experience with them "going to bat for" an applicant?
That's a really great question. I have a lot to say about that so I'll PM you shortly!

I too am willing to help. I'm a non-trad student who graduated from an HBCU and is currently accepted at a PWI.

I was wondering the same about this!

Hello @f4reignbeauty , I attempted to PM you but I am not allowed! I would love your advice if you're up for it, thank you!

Hey guys, willing to help as well. I'm an inner city AA student that went to a PWI and has been accepted to a PWI for medical school (one is a top program). I am a non trad (betwn 25-30yrs old), had some financial and educational setbacks but was still successful. If any premeds have any questions, I am willing to help as well. I also may be asking you guys a few question as I make this transition... lol.

haha. Everyone's wondering about your stats. Im not URM, just African. Im finding it really difficult to improve on my extracurricular activities because of restrictions on my student visa. I need to get more clinical hours. I would have loved to do work as a care aide or medical assistant, but im not allowed to work off campus.

haha. Everyone's wondering about your stats. Im not URM, just African. Im finding it really difficult to improve on my extracurricular activities because of restrictions on my student visa. I need to get more clinical hours. I would have loved to do work as a care aide or medical assistant, but im not allowed to work off campus.

U actually are still considered urm if u are African.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Currently I'm registered to take the MCAT May 20th but I would like to push my date back to either June or July so I can do the best I can. Is this a good idea? If I take the MCAT in July, is that too late? I've been told to apply early and broadly and just want to give myself the best chance to get into medical school!

Currently I'm registered to take the MCAT May 20th but I would like to push my date back to either June or July so I can do the best I can. Is this a good idea? If I take the MCAT in July, is that too late? I've been told to apply early and broadly and just want to give myself the best chance to get into medical school!

If ur not ready push it back. Taking it in July isn't really late.

@drhopeful2018 I think you shouldn't take the MCAT until you are totally ready! This is something you want to do once and be done with it. (How long have you been studying?).

If you take the test in July, you won't receive your score until August. If you want to wait to see your score before you submit your primaries, you won't be verified until towards the end of Septemeber (possibly early october depending on the wait which is up to 6 weeks at this time... I think). Depending on your application (scores, activities, GPA), this may be considered "late".

Now, if you submit your application in June and turn in all of your transcripts, your classes can be verified by AMCAS without your MCAT score. The consensus on SDN is that you initially submit with only a super reach reach school; adding other schools if you receive the score you want. This way, your application will be verified essentially before your scores. Applying to only a single reach school serves as a protection if your score is low and you have to retake (although taking it in July doesn't leave much time for a retake). It also protects you from being a reapplicant next year because if you don't have a good score, you should probably withdraw your app. An acceptable score depends on the rest of your application.

I think I have everything. If anyone would like to chime in or if they don't agree with this advice, please share. Please take all info with a grain of salt. I am just given info based on what I have learned from experience and/or here on SDN. (I applied "late" and although it worked out, but don't think of it as the rule. It was very stressful and scary and I don't want you guys to make my mistakes.)

If ur not ready push it back. Taking it in July isn't really late.

@drhopeful2018 I think you shouldn't take the MCAT until you are totally ready! This is something you want to do once and be done with it. (How long have you been studying?).

If you take the test in July, you won't receive your score until August. If you want to wait to see your score before you submit your primaries, you won't be verified until towards the end of Septemeber (possibly early october depending on the wait which is up to 6 weeks at this time... I think). Depending on your application (scores, activities, GPA), this may be considered "late".

Now, if you submit your application in June and turn in all of your transcripts, your classes can be verified by AMCAS without your MCAT score. The consensus on SDN is that you initially submit with only a super reach reach school; adding other schools if you receive the score you want. This way, your application will be verified essentially before your scores. Applying to only a single reach school serves as a protection if your score is low and you have to retake (although taking it in July doesn't leave much time for a retake). It also protects you from being a reapplicant next year because if you don't have a good score, you should probably withdraw your app. An acceptable score depends on the rest of your application.

I think I have everything. If anyone would like to chime in or if they don't agree with this advice, please share. Please take all info with a grain of salt. I am just given info based on what I have learned from experience and/or here on SDN. (I applied "late" and although it worked out, but don't think of it as the rule. It was very stressful and scary and I don't want you guys to make my mistakes.)

That's what everyone has been telling me! I really just want to make sure I do well on the MCAT and I don't feel ready for May, I am confident but not confident as I would be if I were to take it a little later.

I recently found a new site that's opened for June 18th date. I have been taking a prep course and have been studying a few days a week on top of my two day a week class. I plan on studying much longer/more when finals are over! I plan on submitting my application in June before I have my score.

Thank you both for your advice! I will submit my app with the reach school and once I have my scores (and if it is well) add all the others? I am in the FAP so this won't affect anything? I'll be able to add the rest after, correct?

@drhopeful2018 I'm not really sure about the FAP. I used that also, but I submited everything at once since I already had my MCAT score. I would call and ask if I were you or try the AMCAS website. Sorry I couldn't be more help in this situation. Anyone else know?

That's what everyone has been telling me! I really just want to make sure I do well on the MCAT and I don't feel ready for May, I am confident but not confident as I would be if I were to take it a little later.

I recently found a new site that's opened for June 18th date. I have been taking a prep course and have been studying a few days a week on top of my two day a week class. I plan on studying much longer/more when finals are over! I plan on submitting my application in June before I have my score.

Thank you both for your advice! I will submit my app with the reach school and once I have my scores (and if it is well) add all the others? I am in the FAP so this won't affect anything? I'll be able to add the rest after, correct?

yea you can add schools after you have sent in your AMCAS.

URM's are minority students who are United State citizens or permanent residents.
exactly and some africans are dual or just citizens of the US but their parents are from Nigeria/Ghana etc. and they are considered Black....which would mean they are URM.

Last edited:
@naijacardiodoc is correct. URMs are any black persons, void of citizenship. Notice it's racial or ethnic populations: black is a race. So even if Nigerians are representative in medicine relative to their population, black people aren't so they would still be an URM.

"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

Even before the AAMC redefined URM, "blacks" we're still considered URM regardless it the person is an American citizen.

"Before June 26, 2003, the AAMC used the term "underrepresented minority (URM)," which consisted of Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans. The AAMC remains committed to ensuring access to medical education and medicine-related careers for individuals from these four historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups."

(This is not to say citizenship doesn't matter at all because we all know that foreign born hopefuls have a lower chance of being admitted overall.)

Source https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/urm/

Sorry if I missed any of you! I stopped getting notifications on this thread, but received a lot more messages than I expected! My offer still stands!!

Sorry if I missed any of you! I stopped getting notifications on this thread, but received a lot more messages than I expected! My offer still stands!!
Thanks for offering to help! Unfortunately, I tried to message you but can't access your profile (a message pops up saying "member limits who may view their full profile")

*EDIT: nevermind! i've never sent a private message before but found out how to start a new conversation. sorry!