Urm status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golouis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since URM's constitute rather small percentages at MOST private and state schools, why is it taboo to mention the term "URM" on this forum? I would like to know more about the affrct that a URM has on an applicant. I am one qualified by socio-economic status as well as by the demographics of my region. I just want information on what are affects of being a URM both for the admissions process and the chemistry of an entering class.

Only reply if you have answers for insight. If you have an urgent need to speak about affirmative action or why you belive that you are limited by the presence of URM's leave your comments out or go tell mommy and daddy.

Members don't see this ad.

to answer your first question, it's because people are just bitter, plain and simple. another reason is because you have people trying to use the URM tag as an advantage or as a means of making up for sub par stats. just my observations though.

edit: and props to you for those stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Affirmative action suuuucksss!

Ok no it doesn't and I don't have any opinion on that issue. Being a URM gives you more leeway. A URM can get in with a slightly less than accepted GPA or a slightly lower DAT etc. Being a URM isn't an automatic "You're in". Its leniency for those who need it. The unfortunate thing is that since a few URM applicants do get in thanks to this leniency, others who do have strong political views on the issue start to think every URM applicant got in thanks to less stringent requirements.

And no it isn't taboo on this forum, most people just don't talk about it because it is a controversial issue for some. As with all things political, people often have irrationally strong views over the topic of discussion. There was a thread a while back by the legendary doctoothache which chronicles how URM aren't at any significant advantage in the application process. If I find it, I'll post it for you.

EDIT: NVM The doc beat me to it.

i mean, i have my own views about AA but i'm not going to go into that here :)

but in all honesty, i agree..it's great for people who truly deserve it..not for people who try to manipulate the system (which is why it's a sore topic on SDN)