URM Texas - what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aminoacid13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior at UT Austin, Texas Resident. I have a 3.5 GPA and I'm taking the MCAT in mid August. I seem to be doing very well on the practice tests but we'll see. I am half Mexican and half South Asian. My major is History. I am involved in Academic Integrity Council (officer), Hispanic Health Professions Organization (member), Women in Medicine (member), Muslim Students Association (officer), and Operation Smile (officer). I shadowed a doctor summer of 2010. Last summer I just did summer school and studied for the MCAT. I'm also on the board of a women's shelter where I also extensively volunteer.

Is my GPA competitive? My science GPA is actually really low as well around 3.3 or 3.4.
Is my major bad? I feel like I'm the only History pre-med in the department. My other pre-med friends are all science majors.
Should I say that I am of mixed race? I'm only half of what qualifies as a URM and I don't want to seem dishonest.
I haven't had any lab or clinical experience, is that a red flag?

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Being URM and in TX, if you land a 28+ MCAT score you're bound to get an acceptance somewhere in the state.

I am currently a junior at UT Austin, Texas Resident. I have a 3.5 GPA and I'm taking the MCAT in mid August. I seem to be doing very well on the practice tests but we'll see. I am half Mexican and half South Asian. My major is History. I am involved in Academic Integrity Council (officer), Hispanic Health Professions Organization (member), Women in Medicine (member), Muslim Students Association (officer), and Operation Smile (officer). I shadowed a doctor summer of 2010. Last summer I just did summer school and studied for the MCAT. I'm also on the board of a women's shelter where I also extensively volunteer.

Is my GPA competitive? My science GPA is actually really low as well around 3.3 or 3.4.
Is my major bad? I feel like I'm the only History pre-med in the department. My other pre-med friends are all science majors.
Should I say that I am of mixed race? I'm only half of what qualifies as a URM and I don't want to seem dishonest.
I haven't had any lab or clinical experience, is that a red flag?

Thanks for your input.
I would say that your gpa is fairly competitive. Your major will not be an issue but that might also explain why your sgpa is lower. How well you do on your mcat will be the determining factor on how well you understand the sciences. By lab I assume you mean research but no that is not a red flag (unless you are applying to UTSW, Baylor, ect.) The clinical experience is a redflag...get some. Why only one summer of shadowing? Many students will have plenty of shadowing in a broad range of speacialties so you might want to beef that up a little bit. Im not really sure how the half asian/urm thing works. Maybe someone can chime in with more info on that. Overall, I think you need to work on your ec's and of course, ace the mcat. GOOD LUCK:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Something really wrong with the world when an applicant feels compelled to see their race as a qualification.

Something really wrong with the world when an applicant feels compelled to see their race as a qualification.

Reminds me of George Bush Jr.:smuggrin:

They're just playing their cards.

Looks good. Do well on MCAT.