URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth knockn

Treat others how you want to be treated
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the advantage or disadvantage an URM has when applying to dental school?

Please any URM individuals please reply,

And/or

Individuals who understand the URM status, please reply.

I want to make this clear for all SDNers

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding dental schools, especially state schools, conform to affirmative action guidelines and therefore make an effort to represent underrepresented minorities in their accepted students based on their occurrence in the population. African Americans, Hispanic, and American Indians are more prevalent in society than in dental school enrollment so they make this a factor when admitting students. Asians on the other hand are vastly overrepresented but I won't comment on whether or not I think this may count against them. I am not a URM, if anyone has anything to correct please feel free to make a suggestion

Reactions: 1 user
From my understanding dental schools, especially state schools, conform to affirmative action guidelines and therefore make an effort to represent underrepresented minorities in their accepted students based on their occurrence in the population. African Americans, Hispanic, and American Indians are more prevalent in society than in dental school enrollment so they make this a factor when admitting students. Asians on the other hand are vastly overrepresented but I won't comment on whether or not I think this may count against them. I am not a URM, if anyone has anything to correct please feel free to make a suggestion

Thank you for the response...

I never looked at it in a states point of view ....

Members don't see this ad :)
How it is determined, if it is not obvious. I understand, that it is easy if person has very dark skin, but I may have some latin or pacific islander in me, but not visible to an eye. My question again, how it is proven

How it is determined, if it is not obvious. I understand, that it is easy if person has very dark skin, but I may have some latin or pacific islander in me, but not visible to an eye. My question again, how it is proven

DNA testing?

I don't know, I'm sorry.

I just want to know if there is an advantage or disadvantage.

Geez.

Why geez. I am interested too. You know some schools give preference to whites or christians, without even disclosing it
No school is asking for the DNA testing. It is not that hard to be white and claim to be Latino - just a bit of spray tan:)

I think it is an honesty system, schools have a chance to interview you and decide for themselves. Interviewers would probably ask you about it if they had a question about it. When you fill in the biographic information on aadsas it will ask you your race this determines URM status. It will also have a box for disadvanted status you can check. There is a list of guidelines that determine disadvantaged status.

No school is asking for the DNA testing. It is not that hard to be white and claim to be Latino - just a bit of spray tan
JuZojV

URM has nothing to do with skin color or race. Even though, yes the application asks for that data. It has to do with medical, economic, educational disadvantage while growing up -- meaning up to age 18 plus anything that may have affected your undergrad education (working to help your family or pay your own tuition). Factors that made receiving recourses more difficult for living and receiving an education. Disabilities, low income, no/limited access to health care, public school education if it was particularly lacking challenging classes.

If you have to think too hard about this question, you probably aren't URM in how Adcoms would review the total applicaton. I'm an "URM" but you would never be able to tell just by looking at me. I grew up in a very rough neighborhood -- drugs and gangs and people dying on the street-- and attended low performing schools. Studying while hearing gun shots and helicopters. This question is more comprehensive and it's not one where you can list an event or a moment that created a disadvantage. At least from my understanding in talking to minority affairs Adcom.

A great review of your application from Adcom is one where they can see your achievement in spite of these barriers. It's not going to give you an advantage as far as getting in, but it paints a better picture of the type of applicant you are.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users