URMs, where are you applying this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you have a top choice?

• Yes, I hope I get in!

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Yes, but I will still weigh my options.

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

honeybunnyMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you participating in the 2015-2016 admission cycle, where are you guys planning on applying?

My stats: cGPA: 3.55 MCAT: 31

School list:
Meharry
MCG
Drexel
Tulane
Duke
Temple
Morehouse
Baylor
Probably adding more to the list later.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Throw some more top 25 programs and /or a couple Ivy League schools on your list. If your ECs are great and you have a compelling personal statement plus good LORs with those numbers you will land a lot of interviews as an URM.

Reactions: 2 users
I would remove Drexel just because they get a ton of applications...

Members don't see this ad :)
Throw some more top 25 programs and /or a couple Ivy League schools on your list. If your ECs are great and you have a compelling personal statement plus good LORs with those numbers you will land a lot of interviews as an URM.

Thank you for the advice. Will do.

That's a solid list you have so far

For those of you participating in the 2015-2016 admission cycle, where are you guys planning on applying?

School list:
Meharry
MCG
Drexel
Tulane
Duke
Temple
Morehouse
Baylor

Apply to some top schools and Ivy League schools. Don't sell yourself short.

1 paper and 1 other on its way. Tons of research. Good ECs.
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Howard University
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Saint Louis University School of Medicine

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
cGPA 3.24 MCAT 26 postbac GPA-3.82
1 paper and 1 other on its way. Tons of research. Good ECs.
Albany Medical College
Howard University
what state are you from

School list:
Meharry
MCG
Drexel
Tulane
Duke
Temple
Morehouse
Baylor

Whats your sGPA? I'd add 1 more safety school and a few top tiers. Top tier schools are usually more generous with financial aid. I'm rather fond of Uchicago and Emory.

Whats your sGPA? I'd add 1 more safety school and a few top tiers. Top tier schools are usually more generous with financial aid. I'm rather fond of Uchicago and Emory.
where did you ending up choosing to matriculate to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory!. Chicago wait listed me, and I haven't heard a word from UCLA.
congrats!! i remember you semi-panicking around the same time I was loll. glad to see your still on SDN helping other people :)

congrats!! i remember you semi-panicking around the same time I was loll. glad to see your still on SDN helping other people :)

I'm trying! Happy it worked out for both of us. Where did you end up going?

I'm trying! Happy it worked out for both of us. Where did you end up going?
Im going to Univ of Conn. :D:D:D:D enjoy the nice weather of the south!!! while i freeze lmaoo

Reactions: 1 users
Im going to Univ of Conn. :D:D:D:D enjoy the nice weather of the south!!! while i freeze lmaoo

Congrats!! Haha, I wont freeze but pollen and traffic are completely different monsters I have to deal with now.

cGPA 3.24 MCAT 26
Albany Medical College
Howard University
Great Extracurriculars, 1 paper with another on
what state are you from
Missouri

3.65cGPA 3.62sGPA 29MCAT Hispanic CA-resident
- Solid ECs, decent LORs, and good story for PS but I think it'll be okay (last thing I am finishing up)

Harvard (for kicks-mainly encouraged because I received a letter in the mail from them lol)
UCSF
UCLA
UCLA-PRIME
Keck-USC
UCD
UCR
Loma Linda
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
George Washington U
Drexel
Meharry
Michigan State
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Temple
The Commonwealth
U of Kansas

What do you guys think? Add more lower-tiers? Any schools I should add/take off?

Great Extracurriculars, 1 paper with another on

Missouri
you should add more schools from the midwest. My rule of thumb is your state schools and the states bordering your states (if they accept OOS)

you should add more schools from the midwest. My rule of thumb is your state schools and the states bordering your states (if they accept OOS)
I just added Mizzou, (I don't know why I didn't have that in my list originally). What other schools would you suggest I add?

I wanted some advice. URM, disadvantaged, 3.46c, Non trad., In the healthcare field, 500 hours of community service and I'm going to start a MS/DO program this fall.

Now my question lol sorry.

I'm retaking the mcat in July and applying to both DO and MD schools. I'm not sure if I'll be ready by then and wondering if there is a big difference in pushing the mcat to August? Do you have in suggestions on schools I should consider on applying to?

I'll appreciate any of you guys opinions

Last edited:
I just added Mizzou, (I don't know why I didn't have that in my list originally). What other schools would you suggest I add?
add Indiana U., U Arkansas, U Tenn, look at alot of schools bordering you in the midwest. I think I mentioned before, there are many schools in the midwest that are looking for minority applicants.

In all honesty, alot of people overlook the midwest schools if they accept OOS, give it a try. for ex. why apply to gwu that has 15K applicants and not apply to a neighboring state school with only 2,300 applicants like U Ark?

This goes for everyone on the thread, the coastal, pretty named schools in NYC and DC are nice and all, but alotttttt of the application cycle has to do with strategy.

In addition i hope every one is serious about applying this cycle has submitted their application for Verification! even if your school list is not set in stone. you can add schools later. If anything and you are unsure of schools, just submit for your state schools and hbcus and then build on that as you go!

I wanted some advice. URM, disadvantaged, 3.46c, Non trad., In the healthcare field, 500 hours of community service and I'm going to start a MS/DO program this fall.

I'm retaking the mcat in July and applying to both DO and MD schools. I'm not sure if I'll be ready by then and wondering if there is a big difference in pushing the mcat to August? Do you have in suggestions on schools I should consider on applying to?

when is your july MCAT and what would be your tentative august date

ate
3.65cGPA 3.62sGPA 29MCAT Hispanic CA-resident
- Solid ECs, decent LORs, and good story for PS but I think it'll be okay (last thing I am finishing up)

Harvard (for kicks-mainly encouraged because I received a letter in the mail from them lol)
UCSF
UCLA
UCLA-PRIME
Keck-USC
UCD
UCR
Loma Linda
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
George Washington U
Drexel
Meharry
Michigan State
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Temple
The Commonwealth
U of Kansas

What do you guys think? Add more lower-tiers? Any schools I should add/take off?
youre in pretty good shape. I think you might be able to pull a couple interviews at top schools. Add some top 25/30s. add albert einstein, add indiana, remove quinnipiac, and then add some top schools of your choice (ex. U chicago, NYU, Duke, etc)

3.65 (uGPA - Major: Bio)
3.6 sGPA
3.89(grad GPA)
25 MCAT African-Am.
Loma Linda
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
George Washington U
Drexel
Meharry
University of Miami
UMaryland
UVA
Georgetown
Wash U (where my grad program is)
SLU
Baylor
Rush
Temple
U Pittsburgh
Morehouse
Howard

... I am applying to a total of 20 schools .. just don't remember the last two.. Baylor and Wash U are my reach schools... hope I get into one school - pref. SLU!

Ahh! Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 4 users
cGPA 3.48
sGPA 3.52
MCAT prelim 82-92 percentile (31-33 on the old MCAT)

After receiving some sound advice I recently added a few top 10's and top 20's to my list, so as to not sell myself short. I am applying to:

UPenn
Yale
Columbia
Duke
University of Chicago - Pritzker
Mayo
Vanderbilt
Case Western
University of North Carolina
Medical College of Wisconsin
UW-Madison
Quinnipiac University
Rush University
Loyola
Boston University
Tufts University
Oakland University
New York Medical College
Wake Forest
Rosalind Franklin
Virginia Commonwealth
Meharry
Howard University

Last edited:
Pharmacy student switching to medicine after one semester of pharmacy. Stats are
cGPA 3.48
sGPA 3.52
1st semester pharm gpa: 3.91
MCAT prelim 82-92 percentile (31-33 on the old MCAT)

After receiving some sound advice I recently added a few top 10's and top 20's to my list, so as to not sell myself short. I am applying to:

UPenn
Yale
Columbia
Duke
University of Chicago - Pritzker
Mayo
Vanderbilt
Case Western
University of North Carolina
Medical College of Wisconsin
UW-Madison
Quinnipiac University
Rush University
Loyola
Boston University
Tufts University
Oakland University
New York Medical College
Wake Forest
Rosalind Franklin
Virginia Commonwealth
Meharry
Howard University

Does the new MCAT not give out an actual score? Does it arrive later? I see everyone giving percentiles rather than an actual score.

Does the new MCAT not give out an actual score? Does it arrive later? I see everyone giving percentiles rather than an actual score.
For the test takers that took it during April and May we received preliminary score ranges at 90% confidence intervals about two weeks after our test dates. This is because AAMC has to set up the new score scale and will take one or two weeks longer than normal to get us our scores back. The preliminaries help test takers get an idea of whether or not they should retake before sending in their AMCAS application. My official score will be released tomorrow.

For the test takers that took it during April and May we received preliminary score ranges at 90% confidence intervals about two weeks after our test dates. This is because AAMC has to set up the new score scale and will take one or two weeks longer than normal to get us our scores back. The preliminaries help test takers get an idea of whether or not they should retake before sending in their AMCAS application. My official score will be released tomorrow.

Thanks for the explanation! I hope you get a great score!

Stats:

3.6 gpa
3.5 sgpa
36 MCAT (BS13/VR10/PS13)

School list:

Emory
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Mount Sinai
Georgetown
Boston U
Baylor
USC

Considering:

UMiami
UChicago
UPR-RCM

Reactions: 4 users

I took my MCAT in late August, got a 26 and only applied to 4 schools (2 MD, 2 DO) ... I got interviews at both MDs (then waitlisted and reject at 1, turned down the other) and accepted to MSU-COM after being waitlisted .... I feel like if I would have applied to more schools I would have had more success. My point is it wasn't too late for me but the rule of thumb is earlier is better. However, if you feel you will get a better score then for sure push it back! I hope that helps.

Stats:

3.6 gpa
3.5 sgpa
36 MCAT (BS13/VR10/PS13)

School list:

Emory
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Mount Sinai
Georgetown
Boston U
Baylor
USC

Considering:

UMiami
UChicago
UPR-RCM

Add Harvard, Yale, Case Western, U of Mich on there as well :)

I took my MCAT in late August, got a 26 and only applied to 4 schools (2 MD, 2 DO) ... I got interviews at both MDs (then waitlisted and reject at 1, turned down the other) and accepted to MSU-COM after being waitlisted .... I feel like if I would have applied to more schools I would have had more success. My point is it wasn't too late for me but the rule of thumb is earlier is better. However, if you feel you will get a better score then for sure push it back! I hope that helps.

What was your GPA and other stats?

What some sure fire OOS to have on your list as a resident of NY?

Hahaha in my dreams.
I think you should. The worst they can say is "no" right? I understand the cost is also something to consider but I honestly believe you have a real shot at getting in! Please keep us updated as you get interviews/acceptances! Excited for you!

Sorry! This was for @darksurg

:xf::xf::xf:

Howard University
Morehouse School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
University of Maryland School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
Rush Medical College
State University of New York Downstate Medical Cen
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
SUNY Upstate Medical University
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
Albany Medical College
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program

What was your GPA and other stats?

Undergrad - 3.3 cgpa, 3.1 sgpa
Grad (MS in Applied Anatomy -CWRU) - 3.8
Varsity bball player in undergrad
Lots of research experience and shadowing hours 1000+
plus a couple of real world jobs (lab tech, retail, teaching assistant)

-3.3-3.4 MD GPA and 3.5 3.6DO GPA
(Only 1 poor semester that causes the big drop in GPA. If you drop that semester, my overall and science GPA = 3.5-3.6).

-511 MCAT (31-32 on old scale)
-Michigan resident
-thousands of non clinical volunteer
-about 100 clinical
-TA for 4 years (bio and physics)
-Worked in a Pharmacy for years

School list MD:
Every Michigan school (6 total)
4 of 6 Ohio schools

DO:
MSUCOM

I don't know where else to apply and I'm submitting in the next few days (I know it's late). Any suggestions? Am I too late this cycle? Any "safety" schools for me?

Stats:

3.6 gpa
3.5 sgpa
36 MCAT (BS13/VR10/PS13)

School list:

Emory
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Mount Sinai
Georgetown
Boston U
Baylor
USC

Considering:

UMiami
UChicago
UPR-RCM

Dude. The sky is the limit for you. Lol.

3.65 cGPA and 34 MCAT
Applying both MD and MD/Ph.D but really hoping to get into the latter :D

MD Schools:
Harvard
Mayo
Brown
NYU
Stanford
UCONN
Boston University

MD/PhD Schools:
University of Southern California
Columbia
Baylor
Duke
Emory
Wake Forest
Mount Sinai
University of Chicago
University of Colorado
University of Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale

Last edited:
Vanderbilt is my dream school but I don't honestly think I have the stats they are looking for. Pitt would be a close second.

cGPA: 3.67 sGPA: 3.54

July 18th MCAT coming up. I will update with my scores when the time comes. I don't feel extraordinarily confident.

My Ideal School List:
7 Florida MD Schools
Vanderbilt :love:
Columbia
Pitt
Cornell
Case Western
Morehouse
Meharry
Emory
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth

Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Oakland
Cooper*
Western Michigan

*Grew up in NJ.

I have too many schools that would be considered a reach, but I'm hoping applying to my state schools is enough to balance that out. This list is highly subject to change depending on my MCAT score (if the score is low). Huge factors I took into account include location, student happiness/satisfaction, diversity, and NIH funding for psychiatry. Good luck to everyone this cycle! You all inspire me.

Hey hey :cat:

Schools:

Case Western
Toledo
Cincinnati
Ohio State
NEOUCOM
Wright State
Meharry
Drexel
NYU