URoch students, what's the deal w/ Eastman?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funshine

at the fateful hour
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For me, one of the highlights of going to URoch will be Eastman School of Music. Just wondering if any current med students took advantage of this...anyone take music lessons? join the orchestra? (Do you even have time to do this in med school?) I heard you get a discount to concerts...how much? Can you go in during rehearsals for free? My mom went to Eastman, and she says she frequently went to watch the rehearsals of greats such as Murray Perahia (swoon) :)

Anyway, just wondering how many med students at URoch take advantage of the fact that they're right by Eastman. :) thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your not exactly right by eastman. YOu definitely would need to drive or take the bus downtown. DOwntown rochest looks like a ghost town, NOTHING is there except eastman.

BUt, once you are inside eastman, it is awesome. I took a UR music course as an undergrad and there were required concerts at eastman, its unbelievable, world class musicians, really really cool auditorium, and it costs next to nothing and the place is mostly empty.

If ou want to take classes at eastman, you have to pass a test first, the school is very very difficult and doesnt waste time on undergrads looking to learn an instrument.

thanks.
Any input from current URoch med students? Or do you find the proximity to Eastman to be a waste b/c you're so busy anyway? I'm really curious as to how many med students actually play in the orchestra or take music lessons, if any at all...