Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Urology match

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by i_bite, 02.02.03.

1. i_bite

i_bite Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    It's time to start "where did you match" thread! For me it is Case Western! :clap:
    Anybody else???
  2. droliver

droliver Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    We had two of my former students just match from here (Louisville) to Indiana University
  3. jt999

jt999 Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Congrats I Bite!

I matched at SUNY Stony Brook!
    Anyone here going to the AUA meeting in April?
  4. calico

calico Junior Member

Congratulations to all of you!
    Dartmouth for me.

Aren't you glad to be done with this whole thing and know where you will be for the next 5-6 years of your life?? I really feel for my friends STILL interviewing.

See you all out in the urology world:clap:
  5. Pureride

Pureride Removed

Im goin to Albert Einstein!!!
    Good Luck to everyone!
  6. FireAway

FireAway Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Just curious, anyone know where the 1 spot was that didn't fill via the match?
  7. jt999

jt999 Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    i heard it was medical college of georgia
  8. FireAway

FireAway Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Not surprised about that, I didn't hear the greatest things about MCG from ppl who interviewed there. Did they end up filling the spot with one of the 129 who didn't match? I wonder how many of those 129 were foreign grads or DO. I didn't see any of those on the trail. Thx for the info!
  9. bh1

bh1 Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    It may be a little early to be thinking this but I'm getting a little worried since 129 people didn't match this year. How many actually applied? How many got interviews? I know of a guy at my school who had a 3.9 and was AOA and didn't match (don't know his board scores though). I'm worried my 3.8 and 247 aren't gonna be good enough. I'm not really interested in academic medicine, but I'm wondering if I'm competitive enough to try. If you guys have any advice I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
  10. Pureride

Pureride Removed

To me,you look good on paper so far but do you have any research? Urology backround? AND MOST IMPORTANTLY........Why urology? Every single interviewer will ask you that question so be sure to be able to respond with an answer that will set you aside from the rest!
    I must have ansewerd that question 50 times betweeen November and December.
    Good luck
    -Jordan
  11. bh1

bh1 Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Thanks for the tip Pureride. To answer your question, I don't have any research experience. I suppose I have a urology background. I worked for a group of urologists my first summer after medical school. That's what really made me decide to do urology.
  12. jt999

jt999 Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    You always here stories of AOA people who don't match in urology, but its usually due to either having a strange personality, being a jerk, or being overconfident. Your numbers certainly look good enough to match into urology. I got a spot and I'm not AOA or have grades and step I scores nearly that high.

If you really want to do urology, make sure you rank every program you interview at and not just the big name places. Make sure you also apply to a range of programs, not just the very best.
  13. FireAway

FireAway Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'm worried my 3.8 and 247 aren't gonna be good enough. I'm not really interested in academic medicine, but I'm wondering if I'm competitive enough to try.

Your numbers are very competitive with others on this year's interview trail. No worries there. It is important that you do rotations in urology and get Honors in those. Research is important too, there is plenty of time (assuming you are MS3 or earlier) to get something going with the faculty at your med school. I didn't start my projects until late spring of last (MS3) year and it was more than adequate for what places were looking for.

And repeat after me: "I am interested in academic medicine." Memorize those words for your interviews, even if you're not. Some places only want ppl who are interested in academics, but as one senior faculty member told me it is way too early in our careers to know for sure what you want to do, and is really an unfair question. I wouldn't feel bad about stretching the truth here, its part of the game, and the programs are playing it so you should too. Personally I think surgeons should be operating on patients and not running labs, but of course I didn't express that to my interviewers.

I agree with jt999 completely about AOA and other highly qualified ppl not matching. The worst thing you can do is come across as cocky or as someone who has alot of interpersonal difficulties. Programs want someone who they can work with for 5-6 years. Other people I met on the trail just didn't seem to "fit" in urology and seemed better off in medicine or anything else, which is obviously subjective, but still important. Its sort of like applying to med school. We all heard of the most incredibly qualified individuals getting rejected, but yet we all still got accepted. So don't worry about the stats. Also, look at it this way: 80% of US seniors matched last year (anyone have updated #s?). Do you really think you're in the bottom 20%? Doesn't seem like it with your numbers. Of the 129 this year, I would bet a significant proportion were either FMG/IMG or DO, and like I said earlier I didn't see any of those at any of my 15 or so interviews.
  14. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Anyone have any advice for someone who didn't match this year?
    (US grad, marginal board scores, but good recs... and had 14 interviews this past year)
  15. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    AS an MSII conisdering Urology....how competitive is it? I am seemingly lost in all of this and feel like I don't know where to begin...

Any advice would be appreciated....

Thanks
  16. FireAway

FireAway Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    It is very competitive, but you don't have to be AOA/absolute top of your class to match. You do need strong board scores, strong grades, great LoR, research exp, and most importantly you have to do well and be liked on your urology rotation. Like any other match, if you have geographic limitations in terms of where you're willing/able to go, then you will have a much harder road.
  17. bh1

bh1 Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Does anyone have a good list of some of the 2nd tier schools. I think everybody knows about the Hopkins, Dukes, Stanfords etc of the Urology world. I'm just curious who is in the level below them.
  18. PPdoc

PPdoc Junior Member

:clap: Congrats to everyone who matched!

I will be at the Univ. Miami next year!

(kind of ironic, b/c I posted an earlier warning about their pimping -- I suppose that I answered their questions well enough)

<moved post over to this thread>
  19. Pureride

Pureride Removed

bh1-
    If you need any help at all along the way feel free to email me at jatlantis7@aol.com
  20. kinkedureter

kinkedureter Junior Member

Alil late but........Congrats to everyone who matched. See you all at the AUA meetings.
  21. i_bite

i_bite Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    C'mon! I know there's more of you out there! Bump!
  22. triathlete411

triathlete411 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I did not apply for urology residencies, but several of my classmates did. One will be at Vanderbilt, one at Mayo-Jacksonville, and one at Duke.
  23. Prost8

Prost8 Junior Member

I'm headed to Yale myself. I'll be happy to field any questions about some of the East Coast programs.:clap:

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal