US / AMG un-friendly programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCA2390

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Because of family circumstances, the #1 factor for me in the upcoming match will be matching in Michigan. I am a US citizen, attending an allopathic medical school in the US.

Many of the FM programs in MI have a high proportion of IMGs. Does this mean that these programs are AMG-unfriendly? Is this a thing? Should I still apply to programs with 50-80% IMGs even though I am AMG?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I want to direct my apps appropriately.
Step 1 (215-230), Step 2 CK TBD, Step 2 CS pending results. Lots of volunteering, leadership, research.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine. There are a bunch of FM programs in MI (23), you have a connection to the area, average to above average steps, etc.

No, there is no such thing as "US MD unfriendly" residencies. The reason there are so many IMGs is probably because on average the programs aren't as sought after by AMGs, because the location is not particularly desirable. If you want to be there, then you should be fine. If you're still nervous you could probably throw in some more programs in surrounding states, but if you have no red flags, I can't imagine you'll need much more than those 23, assuming interviews go well.

Yep, as long as you don't have any red flags in your application and interview well, I'm sure they would love to have you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Because of family circumstances, the #1 factor for me in the upcoming match will be matching in Michigan. I am a US citizen, attending an allopathic medical school in the US.

Many of the FM programs in MI have a high proportion of IMGs. Does this mean that these programs are AMG-unfriendly? Is this a thing? Should I still apply to programs with 50-80% IMGs even though I am AMG?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I want to direct my apps appropriately.
Step 1 (215-230), Step 2 CK TBD, Step 2 CS pending results. Lots of volunteering, leadership, research.

i did the match not too long ago
applied mostly in California ( graduated from East Coast, state med school in the 60th percentile rank wise, step 1 was 246)

i don't think there are AMG unfriendly programs ( there are AMG only programs though)
you see a lot of IMG in a program, because the program had good experience with them
IMGs ( from Carribean schools) do 1-2 years here in the US so they have familiarity with a lot of programs and most of them will apply there as compared to the number of US seniors.

Then there are institutions like UCLA, where they have a UCLA IMG program.
in a nut shell, they train US IMGs "fluent in spanish is a must" to send them to under served
i believe they have an 18 month contract after residency to go work in an under served area.

https://fm.mednet.ucla.edu/img/img_program.asp

So, you can do the math and i'm sure there are spots reserved for them.

Thanks for all the advice. So it sounds like although they accept lots of IMG, they would still be willing to accept an AMG? I just worry that if they are so used to IMGs, they might have a relationship with the IMG schools and then my chances are even further squandered. I guess not many of you would know the answer to all these things though :)

In the same light, does anyone have any information on Michigan programs?
How competitive in UofM? Did anyone interview there? or know someone who did?

I am worried that these programs with lots of IMGs will see a US grad with above average stats and think I am applying as a "backup" when really they are my top choice and pass my application up.

In the same light, does anyone have any information on Michigan programs?
How competitive in UofM? Did anyone interview there? or know someone who did?

I am worried that these programs with lots of IMGs will see a US grad with above average stats and think I am applying as a "backup" when really they are my top choice and pass my application up.

i didn't apply there.
but in general,
just make yourself stand out during the interview.
ask for a second look to show that you're really interested.

do you have any ties in the area? this can make your application more attractive
and make them see that they're your 1st choice

Oh yeah lots of ties, grew up in MI, undergrad and med school in MI, family in MI, husband's job in MI :)
Just not sure how to incorporate that into my app so they see it in order to offer me an interview.
Is it weird to put in a personal statement something about how you really want to stay in Michigan for XYZ reason, and have a second personal statement without the Michigan ties for other programs I'll be applying?

Oh yeah lots of ties, grew up in MI, undergrad and med school in MI, family in MI, husband's job in MI :)
Just not sure how to incorporate that into my app so they see it in order to offer me an interview.
Is it weird to put in a personal statement something about how you really want to stay in Michigan for XYZ reason, and have a second personal statement without the Michigan ties for other programs I'll be applying?

Nope. not weird at all.
sounds like a plan. :)