US Army-Baylor DPT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTHopeful921

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone out there is applying to the US Army-Baylor DPT program this year (incoming for 2011). If so how and what are you stats this year? did anyone get interviewed yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed about 2 weeks ago - my packet is now at the QC (the recruiter forwarded it on Wednesday - which was her deadline to forward it)

the board meets on the 23 of Feb - with the results coming back down to the recruiters about a week later

hopefully the both of us are reporting in August!

stats

undergrad gpa: 3.6 overall (b.s. kinesiology)
prereq gpa - 3.5
gre : verbal 540, Quantitaive 580, writing 4.0
250 hours in pediatric home health, outpatient ortho, vestibular/neuro
worked as a PT Tech for awhile last year - doing inpatient acute rehab and wound care
accepted to UNLV -

-fingers crossed for Army-Baylor (i also have 7 years prior service - former Staff Sergeant)

--how about you - are you applying anywhere else? - what made you look into Army Medicine?

Last edited:
p.s. i think the board is going to have about 100 packets - here's to hoping we made the cut!

Members don't see this ad :)
My application is finally in.

GPA - 3.72
GRE - 480 verbal, 720 quatitative
I've worked as a nurse's aid at a rehab hospital, and have been working since June as a tech at an outpatient clinic.
My interview went fine I think.
No prior military experience but I really want to attend Baylor's program. Volunteering abroad is what really inspired me to go the military route. Serving people who have been through so much is a rewarding experience.

The waiting is killing me! I'm really nervous, and have even considered applying again next year if I don't get in. I think my prior experience is great, but my verbal score worries me a bit...

yeh, i just got my packet finally turned in on the 16th?? did anyone else have to go through CPT Fisher for their application?? He told me that I should hear something between the 2nd and 3rd wk of March. :xf:

the 16th seems pretty late

my recruiter (not cpt fisher) had to have her packets sent up to the QC on the 9th

reason being - in case the QC kicks the packet back, then you'll have time to square it away before/if it goes to the board - next wednesday (23rd)

the board only meets for 3 days - and i was told we'd hear the results the end of the following week

My application is finally in.

GPA - 3.72
GRE - 480 verbal, 720 quatitative
I've worked as a nurse's aid at a rehab hospital, and have been working since June as a tech at an outpatient clinic.
My interview went fine I think.
No prior military experience but I really want to attend Baylor's program. Volunteering abroad is what really inspired me to go the military route. Serving people who have been through so much is a rewarding experience.

The waiting is killing me! I'm really nervous, and have even considered applying again next year if I don't get in. I think my prior experience is great, but my verbal score worries me a bit...

did you apply anywhere else? if you do get in somewhere, take the seat, then still apply to Army-Baylor the next year - i've been told that it REALLY helps your chances if the board sees that you are willing to leave a program to attend theirs..

did you apply anywhere else? if you do get in somewhere, take the seat, then still apply to Army-Baylor the next year - i've been told that it REALLY helps your chances if the board sees that you are willing to leave a program to attend theirs..
Yes I got into Wash U already which is has a very good reputation, and waiting to hear back from one other. So you mean go to Wash U for example for a year and then if I get into Baylor the next time around transfer out of the program?? Who did you hear that from?

Yes I got into Wash U already which is has a very good reputation, and waiting to hear back from one other. So you mean go to Wash U for example for a year and then if I get into Baylor the next time around transfer out of the program?? Who did you hear that from?

exactly.

i've heard this from about 2-3 people that are/were in the program as well as from two different med recruiters

ive heard the exact same thing. plus think about it, it would definately help and ease ur transition into the Baylor Program if you have had a year of PT school already. it would kind of be like a refresher or a way for you to perfect the skills you have learned already.

a caveat to what i just said: if i cant get into US Army-Baylor, im going to apply to civilian DPT Prgms but while im doing those programs, im going to still apply to Baylor. If i got in, i would leave my Civilian prgm for Baylor bc its a great prgm and they pay you to go to school.

I went through Cpt Fisher too. (I submitted my application in late November). How many application packets get forwarded to the committee? do all the applications get reviewed by the committee or only a select number?

I know you mentioned about 100 packets go to the committee but would the recruiter contact you if your application packet was not being reviewed by the committee? I just was not aware of how much selectivity there was before the committee review on the 23rd.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went through Cpt Fisher too. (I submitted my application in late November). How many application packets get forwarded to the committee? do all the applications get reviewed by the committee or only a select number?

after your packet is completed and signed - it then gets forwarded to 'quality control' - the QC will go over it with a fine-tooth comb, making sure all I's are dotted and all the T's are crossed, etc - you packet may get kicked back for any number of reasons (mine got kicked back because they didn't have a copy of my IRR discharge paperwork).

once you rectify all the 'call-outs' (as the QC calls them) then your packet gets forwarded to the board. (to be held on Feb 23 and lasting for 3 days - this year)

there are 5 med recruiters,

my recuiters (who has the whole west coast and largest area) put up 24 packets, and thinks that the other 4 recruiters will submit between 10-15 each...

so (and i'm guessing here) based on those stats - there are maybe 65-85 packets being submitted this year? (seems kind of low)

and yes, all the packets are gone through (they also have the results of your interview as well)...

i think i remember hearing that the board was maybe 4-5 people - looking over about 30 packets per day - and given an 8 hour day - i'm guessing they're going to be spending an awful lot of time on each of us.

yikes!

:)

well today is the big day, or at least day one of three big days... :D good luck to those who are applying to the program!! :xf:

Applied for this year's board. I went through CPT(P) Burniston out of the Las Vegas Medical Recruiting Battalion.

I interviewed two weeks ago, and I got a phone call this past Friday that my packet made it through QA/QC and was on it's way to the admissions board.

My stats weren't the best:
GPA: 3.4
GRE: 1210
Observation hours: about 500 hours of observation about 8 years ago, and only about 20 hours of observation in a military clinic

Current Active Duty Army Captain (8 years of service). I'm hoping my status as an AD Army Officer, and my standing as a United States Olympic Committee athlete help make my packet stand out since my academics aren't anything to write home about.

i don't portend to know what the board is thinking, but i'm sure a large portion of the "is this applicant going to do well in a military environment" debate would be easily settled for those that are both IN the military AND are already officers

your gpa seems a tad on the low side, but you make up for it with a competitive gre -

coupled with already being an officer (who i'm assuming is going to stay in until retirement) - and your packet sounds good from here :)

as long as you nailed the interview and your letters of recommendation / state of motivation are rock solid - then i dont think you have much to worry about :)

btw, i see you have 'slider' in your name - what's your sport? bobsled? skeleton? .....curling?

The only sport that matters....skeleton

I interviewed with LTC Walker and nothing about the interview gave me cause for concern. I think the interview went better than I could have hoped for. I had iron clad letters of recommendation, both from former superior officers and from my current Battalion Commander.

The only thing that really makes me think I'd be less than competitive is my GPA. I did, however, take two outstanding pre-reqs while deployed to Afghanistan and received a high A in both of them.

I didn't exactly nail the GRE either, but then again, I took it immediately after the deployment which probably hurt the score a little bit. If I don't get in this go around, I will be reapplying next year....and the next...and the next.

nice - if we both get in - i'm going to politely suggest/strong arm you into taking me for a run :)

sounds like you've got a pretty strong packet -

- i feel confident that i've put forth the best packet i can ( i applied last year and was put on the OML)

- so we'll see what happens this year.

next week can't get here soon enough!

ArmySlider, ma'am, did your recruiter really let you use your 500 hrs of observation from 8 yrs ago? i was told you werent able to use observation hours from the previous year if you were applying again. i was told they had to be at least 100 new hours of observation.
Im hoping my status as a active duty member will help my packet as well, to some extent :)

ArmySlider, ma'am, did your recruiter really let you use your 500 hrs of observation from 8 yrs ago? i was told you werent able to use observation hours from the previous year if you were applying again. i was told they had to be at least 100 new hours of observation.
Im hoping my status as a active duty member will help my packet as well, to some extent :)

This was my first application, so all of my observation hours, even those from 8 years ago, are "new" observation hours.

Oh, by the way, I'm significantly more dude-like than a ma'am.

@HeyCmonNow - I'm not much for running. I don't typically run anymore than about 100 meters at a time. I do, however, lift a lot and would be happy to let you, or anyone else, train with me.

hello there, anyone who has been eighter accepted into baylor or is already a student of baylor pt graduate school, could you please email me @ [email protected] i would really appreciate any help or advice you guys could give me about getting into the program, thanks again god bless. Jorge Garza