US-Citizen IMG and Step 2 CK Scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I will be a US-Citizen IMG who did well on Step 1 (>240), should I take the Step 2 CK prior to September 1st of the year that I am applying for the match? Or should I delay taking it and feel more confident with the material?

Members don't see this ad.

I took my in June as I wanted my scores on ERAS. I aced both steps and have been praised on all my interviews

Dont take it if you are not ready. I know of a kid who also scored in the 240 range in step 1....waited until nov to take step 2 and scored <200. I guess he has some explaining to do. He, as I, are US img.

For US grads few programs require step II even before matching, though more are starting to want it. I have yet to take take step II and got all the interviews I was hoping for.

I would be careful about taking Step II prior to interviews unless you are sure you will have the time to put up a high score.

Your scores are used for screening, so why hurt yourself with a potential low score?

The trick, as you point out in your OP, is in regards to a potential different standard for IMGs.

Last edited:
One more thing.

Not that this is by any means required, but I have heard of some IMGs putting up some crazy high step II scores (270+). They just sit down and study their brains out for several months.

In other words, it is possible with extensive study to do really, really well on USMLE, especially step II.