US clinical experience+C&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skadi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I' m an European med student and i'm considering to apply to the US match.
I'm looking into available elective away programs to get some clinical experience in us and hopefully LoRs and i have a few questions about that.
First of all, since my aim is to become a Child and Adolescent psychiatrist, i was wondering if it would be better to do the elective in that field, or keep it generic, since I'll first apply to psych after all.
Also, I'm trying to narrow down the huge list of unis offering them. Does anyone have any good advice? In specific, I've ben volunteering for years in the child abuse field and would like to keep that option open. Do you think i should look into the hospitals that have the child abuse pediatric subspecialty as well, or should i rather look into research papers in the field (ptsd, pd...)? Or just ignore this option as non relevant and focus on main academic centres for the LoRs' sake?
But, most of all, am i worrying over nothing? I've read one should choose to do their USCE where they finally want to match, hence the pressure and confusion...
Thanks to all of you that are contributing to this great forums!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, since my aim is to become a Child and Adolescent psychiatrist, i was wondering if it would be better to do the elective in that field, or keep it generic, since I'll first apply to psych after all.

This is an advice I give to all sub-Is. If at all possible, try to do your rotation in the specific field you're most interested in. Your passion will show through naturally, and it'll be a lot easier to shine and get good LORs.

This is an advice I give to all sub-Is. If at all possible, try to do your rotation in the specific field you're most interested in. Your passion will show through naturally, and it'll be a lot easier to shine and get good LORs.

Thank you for the great suggestion! Luckily, that already slims down the list