US Dental School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is the best US dental school

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeuwenhoek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Seeing as though there is no actual dental school rankings (at least within the last decade), I was hoping to get some insights into which school ranks the best overall. Factoring clinical, costs, curriculum, location, faculty, space, equipment, etc. This could hopefully be a useful thread for anybody applying for the next cycle. Especially, is everyone is objective. ;)

I wanted to do this as a poll (assuming I know how to do it), but we'll see how that works as most polls are generally ignored and the replies are usually more informative anyways.

I also know that there may be differences in private vs public, government subsidized schools versus non-government subsidized schools, etc., but in general. Hopefully this will be informative and fun, I don't want to turn this into a, "My school is better than yours," thing.

Anyways, congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those waiting.

Leeuwenhoek

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, I'll update the choices if I missed a really good school. I just randomly picked 20 Schools.

Leeuwenhoek said:
Oh, I'll update the choices if I missed a really good school. I just randomly picked 20 Schools.

what if one of the 20ish you left out is the best? just wondering...

Members don't see this ad :)
i think this will turn into my school is the best type poll....and ohio state wasnt one of the choices :) that will be my school, and thats who i prob would have voted for

If based upon the replies and a lot of people agree that one or two or the other 20 are better than the ones on the list then I hope I can change the poll. If not, then just mention it in the reply and people can take note of it there.

Sorry, if I left out a really good school, totally unintentional.

It goes without saying that people will vote for their school, or the school they are going to attend.

It's also interesting that this poll is in the pre-dental thread, where most of the frequent guests haven't even set foot in a dental school yet.

ItsGavinC : Very intersting point about this poll being in the pre-dental thread, where most of the frequent guests haven't even set foot in a dental school yet.

I agree that this may not be the best place to post the poll but I would hope that based on other threads or dental interview feedbacks and just news that floats about (Temple having the best clinical, rough neighborhood, etc.) that an informed poll can still be generated.

>>It goes without saying that people will vote for their school, or the school they are going to attend.

I hope this is not the case as it could then turn into the 'my school is better than yours'.

I guess if this poll is not a good idea, people could always post the strengths and weaknesses about various schools (even if it is theirs) so that everyone can make an informed choice when applying.

You really do need to put up all of the dental schools - their absence automatically makes the poll biased. I do understand your intention behind this thread, but because there is so much detail and exceptions surrounding each dental school and an objective set of criterion doesn't exist people responding to this poll cannot help falling back on their opinions and prejudices. With that off my chest, I'm going to try to stear clear of this thread. Best of luck!

I agree with you but I could only put a maximum of twenty schools in the poll. I wish I could put all of them but it wasn't going to allow me to do so.

I agree about the whole "pre-dent" issue. You might get a poll of where people really want to go ... but you'll never get a poll of the best schools.

in all honesty, people will vote for their own school, or the school of their top choice... thats what i did. Simply put, we all want to have confidence in our choice of school... unless we picked for other reasons (ie. costs)

A better poll would be this, ask which school is good for a specific area: for instance research, clinical, faculty, reputation etc. For instance, no doubt about it, harvard would be #1 for reputation... yes people can argue with me, but most people would agree that the average person thinks harvard is the best school. However, if you asked which dental school is best for clinical then it would not be harvard... it might be temple, maryland, nyu...etc.

If you change your poll questoin, people will be more likely to answer it with less bias. But know this, its all objective to ones experience... i would also put up a poll in the dental forum... the pre-dents go there as well, but I think dental students would know better about which school is better for what.

stupid thread. there are already so many threads with info about rankings. liek they said, everyone is going to vote for their own school. close this thread. laters

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard a rumor that SDSDM (Sout Dakota School of Dental Medicine) was the best. Couple weeks ago, don't know where I heard it. Anyway, I was about to vote for my own school but it's not there. LLU is regarded by some as the #1 clinical.

USUaggie: Thank you. You get the idea for this thread. I never knew LLU had good clinical. I take that into consideration when I apply :)

Pikeyman: '...why the f'ck not Howard and Meharry?' You think these schools are good? Why? All you have to do is say why you think they are the best? They don't have to be on the list to voice your opinion.

Tooth Fixer: Where's USC!!! . ..same as above, why?

It is probably better to reply with a school and why, I suppose, because if the reason is "because I go there," then no one would take it seriously.

If you think this thread is stupid don't respond, the thread will eventually die off. As for why certain schools are not on the list, read the previous posts. I doubt anyone can choose 20 schools and not have anyone else complain about a missing school.

You must be well educated

Now I know everyone wants to be proud of their school, but this thread will be a waste of time if people simply vote for their own school. I fully respect all of the schools on the list, but it is crazy to state that NYU or BU can compare to Michigan, UConn or UNC. All will provide a decent education, but all are simply not equal.

Dukie said:
Now I know everyone wants to be proud of their school, but this thread will be a waste of time if people simply vote for their own school. I fully respect all of the schools on the list, but it is crazy to state that NYU or BU can compare to Michigan, UConn or UNC. All will provide a decent education, but all are simply not equal.

I agree, of course I chose Columbia, but is Harvard still harder to get into/well renowned? Maybe. The thread is a good idea but should be worded differently. Ie. they should pick which school was their favorite when they first filed ADDSAS.

I am certain that there are some schools better than others, but asking the general population of dental applicants is not how to go about it. I still think an official ranked list would be helpful for an applicant attempting to choose schools, but I dont see any organization rushing to do that either. For now, the only way to tell which school is best is for each individual to evaluate what he/she is looking for and research each school as much as possible. With that said, I am going to walk into the trap, and vote for my school: harvard rocks ya'll. Oh, on a side note, to the joker that ends every post with "laters", you are an idiot. You probably think you are extremely trendy, perhaps original, but every idiot thinks that.

:laugh:
funny post up there ^ :thumbup:

this poll is truly pointless yet awesome at the same time. mad props to the poll-starter. this poll will be a reflection of where members of SDN will matriculate (or have matriculated), so let's see which school is most represented on SDN. . .

Looks like Pacific is in the lead followed by Columbia. UNC and UPenn are neck-in-neck...At this point, this race is too close to call. :eek:

bspeedy00 said:
I am certain that there are some schools better than others, but asking the general population of dental applicants is not how to go about it. I still think an official ranked list would be helpful for an applicant attempting to choose schools, but I dont see any organization rushing to do that either. For now, the only way to tell which school is best is for each individual to evaluate what he/she is looking for and research each school as much as possible. With that said, I am going to walk into the trap, and vote for my school: harvard rocks ya'll. Oh, on a side note, to the joker that ends every post with "laters", you are an idiot. You probably think you are extremely trendy, perhaps original, but every idiot thinks that.
Yea I am with you on the guy that says LATERS all the time, that crap pisses me off!!!!

drat said:
:laugh:
funny post up there ^ :thumbup:

this poll is truly pointless yet awesome at the same time. mad props to the poll-starter. this poll will be a reflection of where members of SDN will matriculate (or have matriculated), so let's see which school is most represented on SDN. . .

Looks like Pacific is in the lead followed by Columbia. UNC and UPenn are neck-in-neck...At this point, this race is too close to call. :eek:

Harvard is just relaxing, drafting in the pack, running a smart race. Let the others do the work at the front, until coming off the curve in the home stretch, then drop the hammer. We, in the business of kicking tail, call it the "sit and kick". Others to watch UCLA, Columbia, and UPENN. All are sitting in good position, but I pick Harvard to nip them all at the line.

bspeedy00 said:
Harvard is just relaxing, drafting in the pack, running a smart race. Let the others do the work at the front, until coming off the curve in the home stretch, then drop the hammer. We, in the business of kicking tail, call it the "sit and kick". Others to watch UCLA, Columbia, and UPENN. All are sitting in good position, but I pick Harvard to nip them all at the line.
Harvard will truly be a longshot with only 35 students per class. Numbers are not on their side. Pacific and Columbia, with their 100+ students per class, certainly have the advantage. But will this confidence in class size come back to bite them? It's still too early to make predictions. Another one to watch out for: NYU. With interviews still going on, they might make a late run. But, you're right, we can't overlook UCLA. The Bruins have historically been a favorite and will likely rise above the latest controversy on SDN that no one at that school is happy. Winning this race just might be morale boost the school needs.

It's starting to get exciting, folks.

drat said:
Harvard will truly be a longshot with only 35 students per class. Numbers are not on their side. Pacific and Columbia, with their 100+ students per class, certainly have the advantage. But will this confidence in class size come back to bite them? It's still too early to make predictions. Another one to watch out for: NYU. With interviews still going on, they might make a late run. But, you're right, we can't overlook UCLA. The Bruins have historically been a favorite and will likely rise above the latest controversy on SDN that no one at that school is happy. Winning this race just might be morale boost the school needs.

It's starting to get exciting, folks.

Columbia only has 75 students

go maryland :clap: :hardy:

we have a 110 i believe... so hopefully we can get our numbers up... :laugh: :laugh:

paolorossifan said:
Columbia only has 75 students

I actually knew that, but decided to put the class size at over 100 because I figured you would probably vote at least 25 times.

dentist_to_be? said:
go maryland :clap: :hardy:

we have a 110 i believe... so hopefully we can get our numbers up... :laugh: :laugh:
haha, that's the spirit! With those new facilities, surely Maryland has an edge.

I must say, I am surprised that the state schools are lagging behind. With that cheap tuition, surely they have their supporters. I suspect we'll see a last minute sprint by state schools such as Michigan and Maryland.

Hey I got a question. Where is the finish line? Dont we need to set an endpoint, or shall we watch this epic battle of immortals for eternity?

Now the class size thing is an interesting point. I think we need to account for Harvard's handicap in class size. Since Harvard has about one third the student body of most of the schools listed, how about we multiply Harvards score by 3 (putting Harvard at 18 votes and firmly in first place)? It is only fair! hahaha :D

With all the racing action here on SDN, we failed to mention the teams still tying their shoes...come on minnesota! Get off your butt!

bspeedy and drat.... too funny! :laugh: :laugh:

Just cast my vote. :D Down with Pacific!!!

You know the movie "better off dead" where the japanese guy learned his english from watching car racing always pulls up at the stop light and announces the race? That's how your voices sound in my head as I read this thread. Truly entertaining.

In announcer voice: Will LLU show up to compete? Right now it's anybody's guess, they've been under a lot of pressure from the media about the latest steriod scandal and are claiming an ankle injury will keep them out this season.

drat said:
I actually knew that, but decided to put the class size at over 100 because I figured you would probably vote at least 25 times.

If only you knew one could only vote once. Then again, thats just you.

Status
Not open for further replies.