Us dream is it worth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drrobin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering why people from third world countries specially are coming to us for doing dds,investing and spending 3-4 lac dollars,almost half a million bucks,just to become a dentist,even after graduation you struggle to pay back loans and find job,why dont they set in their own country,or invest all this money in bank,it will itself become fruitful

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering why people from third world countries specially are coming to us for doing dds,investing and spending 3-4 lac dollars,almost half a million bucks,just to become a dentist,even after graduation you struggle to pay back loans and find job,why dont they set in their own country,or invest all this money in bank,it will itself become fruitful

You shouldn't be posting here.

Members don't see this ad :)

Mr robin, I wonder who are you pointing out as "third world countries". You must be a doctor (or just trying to become one) but have no idea what exactly is a third world country! Oh well if you meant the 'backward countries'...then US which I suppose you would call a first world country owns billions of dollars(of which u can't count the zeroes too!:rolleyes:) and yes the whole world runs on the oil from these third world countries! So grow up!!!
And one more thing- I am pretty sure you are from one of those "third world countries" because "lac" is not a notation that we use here!

Long story short: To each his own!

p.s: No offense intended:)

Last edited:
Holly j be specific i want answer to my questions,i am not interested in discussing the wealth status of us or other developed countries

If only financial considerations are taken into account, most graduates do just fine in terms of pay and meeting financial obligations. There are exceptions, and you seem to be aware of only those.

In reality, there are other considerations as well, such as family settled here, amenities in this part of the world and other subjective and individual preferences.

But I do agree that no one needs to come here just for financial redemption. It is not worth the hassle and uncertainties that we have to go through. As the song goes, there is enough bread in the homeland (and perhaps it tastes even better than here).

Last edited:
You would have got many specific answers robin, if you had just used the right words.. Saying "third world countries" and all that is not gonna get you anywhere in this matter.. Everyone is just gonna get offended.. The issue that you raised, needs to be discussed actually, but only if it had been started in a decent way by you, there would have been some real fruitful debate !! Peace !!

Hello Dr.Robin,
What do you mean by the "third world countries" that we are not skillful enough to challenge ourselves further from where we started? Then why do the schools even started the IDP some decades ago for heaven's sake if they haven't gone any further and fill up the huge classroom sizes....

Although you think they are still developing, they have grown beautifully enough to the point where they love peace and mud-slinging and nasty brawling are not in their agenda instead... So please wake up folk..its easy to ridicule but tough to bear the cross..
No offense please:thumbup:

My IDDP class has people from 17 different countries, really rich countries, diversity and mutual respect is basically common sense.

From approximately $250k (actual investment of a 2-3 year program for FTD) to $500k (your imaginary number) is quite a big difference just to start with, and in the long run is a very small investment.

Opportunities are endless, and using basic side-by-side comparison it is really easy to see that even though you could have a relatively good life as a dentist in your home country (or not), it is still worth a try investing time and money and becoming a licensed dentist in the US. Dentistry is on the top 5 of rising profession in the US, and 2 dental specialties are in the top 10 of the most well paid jobs.

Since I got here 3 years ago I've met and had the chance to interact and got to know the story of lots of dental professionals, international dental students, dental students, recent graduates from both international and regular dds programs, also professionals already established for quite a while, and I can't recall none of them talking about struggling to pay back loans or to find jobs. There's still a high demand for qualified dental professionals, like us, internationally trained dentists! :D

And if you think that the money invested on becoming a dentist is a lot of money, you might not have the slightest idea of how much money a dentist make... I can tell you that a dentist in my country that makes $100k/year is an extremely successful one, and I know that just by looking at simple stats and numbers that making 10x that amount of money/year is highly likely in the US.

Good luck to all of those applying for International Dentists Programs, if you all still have any doubts, just take a look around, talk to people, and don't discouraged by anyone, anywhere, anytime!

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." Charles Bukowski

My IDDP class has people from 17 different countries, really rich countries, diversity and mutual respect is basically common sense.

From approximately $250k (actual investment of a 2-3 year program for FTD) to $500k (your imaginary number) is quite a big difference just to start with, and in the long run is a very small investment.

Opportunities are endless, and using basic side-by-side comparison it is really easy to see that even though you could have a relatively good life as a dentist in your home country (or not), it is still worth a try investing time and money and becoming a licensed dentist in the US. Dentistry is on the top 5 of rising profession in the US, and 2 dental specialties are in the top 10 of the most well paid jobs.

Since I got here 3 years ago I've met and had the chance to interact and got to know the story of lots of dental professionals, international dental students, dental students, recent graduates from both international and regular dds programs, also professionals already established for quite a while, and I can't recall none of them talking about struggling to pay back loans or to find jobs. There's still a high demand for qualified dental professionals, like us, internationally trained dentists! :D

And if you think that the money invested on becoming a dentist is a lot of money, you might not have the slightest idea of how much money a dentist make... I can tell you that a dentist in my country that makes $100k/year is an extremely successful one, and I know that just by looking at simple stats and numbers that making 10x that amount of money/year is highly likely in the US.

Good luck to all of those applying for International Dentists Programs, if you all still have any doubts, just take a look around, talk to people, and don't discouraged by anyone, anywhere, anytime!

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." Charles Bukowski

Lol great quotation. Absolutely agree. Just sad that I'm stupid ;-)

Hey i never offended anyone by saying third world countries,third world countries is name given by us and other developed,its not me.i know some of the doctors in developing countries specially india,who are exceptionally bright,by the way thanks for the disscussion.

Hey Guys I don't think Dr. Robin meant to offend people he just does not know how to communicate very well in English.. I wanted to make a point though. I would rather invest $250K in myself than a bank. Why you ask? Well when I invest that $250K in my education this will lead me to a great career ! I will have control over how hard I work and how much money I make. Where as if I invest in a bank, I am not guaranteed anything beyond a marginal return. So Dr. Robin it is your choice if you have what it takes invest in yourself or invest in a bank.

Hey Guys I don't think Dr. Robin meant to offend people he just does not know how to communicate very well in English.. I wanted to make a point though. I would rather invest $250K in myself than a bank. Why you ask? Well when I invest that $250K in my education this will lead me to a great career ! I will have control over how hard I work and how much money I make. Where as if I invest in a bank, I am not guaranteed anything beyond a marginal return. So Dr. Robin it is your choice if you have what it takes invest in yourself or invest in a bank.

Realistically, if you have $250k and if you know how to invest it so that inflation does not eat it away and a reasonable % of return is achieved, "investing in yourself" at the point is not really that great.

For instance I do not have 250k$ of my own. But I know I can borrow it and I can pay it off gradually over a period of time. In the mean time I have to make myself a bitch of the financial market though. Once I graduate I am gonna have to work my butt off for the 30% I make for my employer. And all because I don't have any money now but I am willing to be a bitch of the market so that I have some money in the future. I think it is naive to think of this scenario in any other way unless you are on the other side with capital at your disposal for education and a start up afterwards. Everything else is just big talk.

hey circuit if you really believe that why do all this? do you really want to work as a dentist in the US?

Thank you. Well said.

Realistically, if you have $250k and if you know how to invest it so that inflation does not eat it away and a reasonable % of return is achieved, "investing in yourself" at the point is not really that great.

For instance I do not have 250k$ of my own. But I know I can borrow it and I can pay it off gradually over a period of time. In the mean time I have to make myself a bitch of the financial market though. Once I graduate I am gonna have to work my butt off for the 30% I make for my employer. And all because I don't have any money now but I am willing to be a bitch of the market so that I have some money in the future. I think it is naive to think of this scenario in any other way unless you are on the other side with capital at your disposal for education and a start up afterwards. Everything else is just big talk.

Bill Gates did not become a millionaire because he had money to spend on his dream, its because he had the guts to try and fulfill his dream... Coming to the states is no joke, it is hard work , it is a struggle , there is no guarentee you will get back in your field...all these are true but if you do not dream and have the courage to fulfill it you will always think in the back of your head what could have been.

As for investing money into an education, that is definately not a waste. Education just makes you a smarted stronger person in society and if i can invest wisely to get returns, by all means, i will.

very well said spherullite i was waiting for this answer,THIS FORUM REALLY HAS MANY TALENTED AND HARDWORKING GUYS.