US Elctives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor sh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hii everyone

I just finished my 5th year at med school & I still have 2 years of internship..during which I can have 1month/year to do an elective rotation wherever I want...

so my questions are:
1) what is clerkship? is it the same meaning of internship?
2)Am I eligible to go for an elective at US during my internship????
3) all med schools say that I must be a final year student, is it the last year of studying or doing internship?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

1) Clerkship is rotation done as a student. An internship is done after you graduate and are a doc. There are sub-internships which are done as a student.
2) You would have to ask your program.
3) They usually mean a student, not an intern. From the little that I know, IMGs usually do externships or observerships.

Reactions: 1 user
the problem is that at my school we do not do clerkships in the first 5 years...we do it at the 6th & 7th years....& most of med schools at US request to finish all core clinical clerkships before going to electives...so I think i do not have any chance at this time,right?

better to wait 1 more year

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
the problem is that at my school we do not do clerkships in the first 5 years...we do it at the 6th & 7th years....& most of med schools at US request to finish all core clinical clerkships before going to electives...so I think i do not have any chance at this time,right?

better to wait 1 more year

Wow. Where do you attend med school?

most of med schools at US request to finish all core clinical clerkships before going to electives...so I think i do not have any chance at this time,right?

This question is hard to answer because different schools can do things different ways. At some schools, you must be enrolled in a US med school to do an elective there. There are other schools that may offer electives to current students of foreign schools. While others may only offer observerships or externships to foreign grads.
There may be schools/hospitals that will offer you an elective before you have completed a year, but it will require research to find out which schools/hospitals those are.

good,There are other schools that may offer electives to current students of foreign schools. While others may only offer observerships or externships to foreign grads.thank
1klZp2k