US Grad to Canadian Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STLMako91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a recent US grad with a 3.9 GPA and have always contemplated living in Canada. I honestly wouldn't mind going up to Canada and spending my career there. How likely would it be for me to gain an acceptance at a canadian medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a recent US grad with a 3.9 GPA and have always contemplated living in Canada. I honestly wouldn't mind going up to Canada and spending my career there. How likely would it be for me to gain an acceptance at a canadian medical school?

How is your MCAT? A few schools do accept Americans, namely McGill, UofT and maybe Dalhousie. McMaster says they accept internationals but I don't think they've accepted many, their admission stats don't have any or don't distinguish internationals.

A 3.9 puts you in the average acceptance range for McGill, UofT and McMaster. I think for Dal its above average. It keeps you in contention for sure, but it'll really depend on your MCAT and your ECs.

Profoundly difficult. Canadian medical schools are far more competitive than American ones, due to their limited number of seats, and they are state-funded primarily and thus obligated to take Canadian citizens above all else. You'd be a unicorn if you got admitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is your MCAT? A few schools do accept Americans, namely McGill, UofT and maybe Dalhousie. McMaster says they accept internationals but I don't think they've accepted many, their admission stats don't have any or don't distinguish internationals.

A 3.9 puts you in the average acceptance range for McGill, UofT and McMaster. I think for Dal its above average. It keeps you in contention for sure, but it'll really depend on your MCAT and your ECs.

I got a 29 on the MCAT. One would think that I could get into a US school with a 3.9 GPA and a solid MCAT, but I'm really not sure anymore. Granted, I still have to hear back from 7 schools and will apply again if I have to with a better application. I do however have unique and good ECs and LORs.

I'm wondering if there is any way for me to get a Canadian permanent resident status. I've looked into a few schools and they require either Canadian citizens or permanent residents. I hear it's hard to get that though.

no offense, but 29 MCAT is not that solid. Your GPA is great though, and most Canadian schools don't care as much about the MCAT, however having a good verbal mark (>10) would help tremendously for McMaster. U of T requires above a 9 in each section otherwise you get a nice red flag. Can't tell you much about McGill unfortunately.

With a 29 MCAT its not going to happen unfortunately. Even if you were Canadian it would be a long shot. UofT and McGill both average a 33-34 MCAT acceptance average along with a 3.9 GPA for Canadians. Its likely even higher for internationals.

Dal doesn't take non-citzens/residents from first year* apart from this Saudi program which hasn't really yielded that much.

I think you're best bet is simply to stick to the US until you're fully qualified and then simply move to Canada. Many residency training programs in the states are accredited in Canada and all you would have to do is pass the boards. Getting a job is another matter that I'm not really able to comment on, but I would say going to a Canadian med school would definitely be the path of most resistance. Especially because I'm not even sure you'd be considered a Canadian medical grad if you aren't a Canadian citizen (but I'm not sure about this as well). Anyways, I'd just stay put for your MD training and residency and then just walk across the border.