US MD Chances Low STEP I score/Rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jlemd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
US-MD at a low tier school in TX
STEP I: 221
STEP II: 228
Clinical rotations: All Pass, No honors
Publications: 4 from college (basic sciences research in engineering NOTHING anesthesiology related)

I really like anesthesiology and it's been my favorite rotation so far. I can't imagine doing anything else. But I have below average board scores and don't really think I have anything that stands out.

I have gone through Charting Outcomes but I'd like to hear y'all thoughts and experiences.

1) What are my chances to match into an academic program in the Northeast (esp NY) and Texas? (I have heavy family ties to both)

2) I definitely don't care about matching into a top 10 program. I would prefer academic. Is there a resource that ranks the top 50 anesthesiology programs that I can use as a guide?

3) Can anyone have similar stats tell me how many interviews you got and where you applied?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In Texas, Tech is certainly a possibility. They struggle to get people simply based on location (or lack of anything remotely considered civilization nearby). I would put BS&W into the more selective group. They are the most family friendly program in Texas and get a lot of residents because of that, especially as UTHSCSA has gotten less family friendly and UTMB has struggled to get back to where they were before hurricane IKE caused so much damaged the hospital and city. UTH/UTMB/UTHSCSA may not offer interviews based on board scores if they don't know you, but it doesn't hurt to apply and see what happens. I think at UTSW/BCM you won't make it past the initial board score screen unless they personally know you. In speaking with a person from UTSW they told me that "unfortunately board scores tend to be the main determining factor" at least in regards to getting an opportunity to interview. Your board scores aren't so low that they are likely to prevent you from matching somewhere, but you'll have to apply broadly and take the opportunities that present themselves. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate you all's replies. They were really helpful.

It looks like I need to apply more broadly and have to disregard my family ties to particular states. It kind of sucks but I'd rather deal with being away for a couple of years than not matching.

Ideally I really want to match to an academic position for pediatric pain fellowship. So disregarding location, are there any academic hospitals that would be more friendly to my scores?

Thanks a bunch!

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. Don't bother applying to non-university programs. Even if you don't match you can probably SOAP into one (these days). The kind clinical exposure you'd want for training wont be present at a non-university setting.

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. Don't bother applying to non-university programs. Even if you don't match you can probably SOAP into one (these days). The kind clinical exposure you'd want for training wont be present at a non-university setting.

Is it really better to not match than go to a non-university program? I always thought I had to apply community because of my stats.

What university program do you think would be friendly to my stats?

Cedars sinai tho

How about NYC programs? Which programs in NYC would the OP have a good shot at matching since he also asked about NY programs?

US-MD at a low tier school in TX
STEP I: 221
STEP II: 228
Clinical rotations: All Pass, No honors
Publications: 4 from college (basic sciences research in engineering NOTHING anesthesiology related)

I really like anesthesiology and it's been my favorite rotation so far. I can't imagine doing anything else. But I have below average board scores and don't really think I have anything that stands out.

I have gone through Charting Outcomes but I'd like to hear y'all thoughts and experiences.

1) What are my chances to match into an academic program in the Northeast (esp NY) and Texas? (I have heavy family ties to both)

2) I definitely don't care about matching into a top 10 program. I would prefer academic. Is there a resource that ranks the top 50 anesthesiology programs that I can use as a guide?

3) Can anyone have similar stats tell me how many interviews you got and where you applied?

Thanks!

I would add Lahey and St Elizabeth in Boston, both Tufts affiliated.

With all due respect to the people talking about the scramble, I don't believe it's as easy as it use to be.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about NYC programs? Which programs in NYC would the OP have a good shot at matching since he also asked about NY programs?

St lukes
SUNY Downstate
Maimonides
Westchester - high probability of match

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely apply broadly, you are fortunate that there are quite a few training programs in Texas.

A couple other points briefly discussed:

Scrambling/SOAP - I certainly wouldn't aim for this, as you join a highly competitive pile of surgical subspecialty applicants with solid scores and grades who fall into this pile. Honestly, at nearby programs there have been some advanced openings - they don't even look at the initial anesthesiology applicants for the most part. For better or for worse, it would definitely be an uphill climb.

Pediatric Pain - a couple ways to go after this, but I am not familiar with any combined fellowship programs. Typically you would do either a chronic pain or pediatrics fellowship, with a 6-12 month pediatric pain "super fellowship" afterwards. I couldn't really be less interested in chronic pain so I am not the authority on this.

St lukes
SUNY Downstate
Maimonides
Westchester - high probability of match

Exactamundo. Only caveat being that St Lukes is more selective now that Sinai took them over...but these four, plus any upstate NY programs (Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo) and Baystate in western MA should be on your list.

Exactamundo. Only caveat being that St Lukes is more selective now that Sinai took them over...but these four, plus any upstate NY programs (Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo) and Baystate in western MA should be on your list.

How about Montefiore? Is it considered more competitive than St.Lukes?