US MD Grad training/practicing abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LTG4166

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I searched the forums and did not find much info. I am currently an M3 at a public medical school in the US. I have strong enough grades and board scores to match in the US without problem, but I am finding myself reluctant to enter the US health care system.

I really hate knowing that by ordering tests and procedures, I may be ruining someone financially and bankrupting them. I am not motivated by salary and have low debt, so I am interested in exploring training options abroad. Does anyone have resources on training in UK/Ireland/Canada/EU/Australia/NZ/etc??

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There are tons of threads about this topic in the SDN International Forums.

In short, your chances of getting a residency position in UK/Australia/NZ are slim, being a non-citizen who trained outside of those countries. In the US, residency positions are "merit" based; ie, largely based on USMLE scores, academic records. In the countries I've listed above, the country of your citizenship and your medical school are considered FIRST; these countries do not have enough training positions for their own citizens. I cannot speak about the EU - do you speak a foreign language?

FWIW, while you may be concerned about "bankrupting" someone for medical care, how would you feel about working in a country where you are limiting medical care based on age, coverage or putting someone on a waiting list for their CABG? If you haven't worked abroad in a medical capacity, I'm afraid your view of healthcare elsewhere is a bit rosy.

Finally, are you absolutely sure you will never want to work in the US as a physician? In most cases, residency training outside the US is not accepted toward medical licensing here and requires that you start over here. You never know what life may present to you requiring a change (ie, elderly parents who need you close by).

PS: your status lists you as a Pre-Med, you might wish to change that.

Back in the old days being able to do part of your medical training abroad was quite a common thing. If you look at the bios of many famous physicians they trained partially abroad. Its so unfortunate now that the rules in different countries make it so that citizenship matters more than experience and skill.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, if you do your residency/fellowship in the US, how difficult is it to start a private practice or join a partnership abroad? Would being a dual citizen help?

I think you're over thinking it... Do residency in the US and practice wherever you want.

Out of curiosity, if you do your residency/fellowship in the US, how difficult is it to start a private practice or join a partnership abroad? Would being a dual citizen help?
You will find that just as the US doesn't take training from abroad, other countries don't automatically accept US training as sufficient. I'm not aware of any countries in which you can simply finish training in the US and step into a practice abroad. Citizenship may help but bear in mind that training requirements may be different.