US medical schools - too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hp540

3 pages per minute
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know this is a crapshoot, but I'm wondering if it is now too late to apply to US Medical Schools - particularly the more GPA/MCAT centric ones.

I didn't intend on applying to US (because I didn't know my MCATs), but I did well on them and figure, what the hell, might as test the waters if it's possible.

Will they even consider me now? Or is it pointless? I would be applying with pretty much a 4.0 GPA and a 39Q + a decent extracurricular record with medically relevant volunteering (local and international) and research.

I've only looked into Yale so far. Haven't looked at the other school's websites.

Would really appreciate people's honest opinions. I'm content with just testing my luck in Canada (I'm applying broadly here too), but if there's that chance to check out the States and well, broaden my chances...

Members don't see this ad.

if you arnt kidding about those stats then it is not too late. You will be competitive everywhere

I'm just wondering: on AMCAS, if I filter by deadline (say Nov1), does that mean those schools require me to submit to AMCAS BY Nov 1? Someone told me AMCAS takes several weeks to verify my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I know this is a crapshoot, but I'm wondering if it is now too late to apply to US Medical Schools - particularly the more GPA/MCAT centric ones.

I didn't intend on applying to US (because I didn't know my MCATs), but I did well on them and figure, what the hell, might as test the waters if it's possible.

Will they even consider me now? Or is it pointless? I would be applying with pretty much a 4.0 GPA and a 39Q + a decent extracurricular record with medically relevant volunteering (local and international) and research.

I've only looked into Yale so far. Haven't looked at the other school's websites.

Would really appreciate people's honest opinions. I'm content with just testing my luck in Canada (I'm applying broadly here too), but if there's that chance to check out the States and well, broaden my chances...

I despise ppl like you :D . Come on with a 4.0 and 39Q you should know better than to ask us if you are competitve enough....**** try searching for your answer...

Hi ppl, I was just wondering as well if it's too late to apply to US med schools. I am a Canadian and therefore have been focusing more on Canada med school applications....but would like to apply to some US schools. Is it too late to apply for the schools with the November 1st deadline and later?

I'm just wondering: on AMCAS, if I filter by deadline (say Nov1), does that mean those schools require me to submit to AMCAS BY Nov 1? Someone told me AMCAS takes several weeks to verify my application.

Submit yes!!! I don't think that means it has to be verified by that date. Get on the ball with your application and if things don't work out which I doubt that will be the case, then you can apply next year. I'd go ahead and apply. Sure its late but not late in the Januray or December sort of way. You aren't screwed over.

Hey guys,

It means that by the time your AMCAS is verified, you get your secondaries, fill them out, send them out, complete your application, and considered by the schools, it will probably be january or february. Then you get interviewed in february, march or april. At that point you have a chance at the waitlist. Personally, I think it seems like throwing money down the drain.

Your so in. With those stats a med school would see your app and immedaitely accept or give you an interview then accept you.

It means that by the time your AMCAS is verified, you get your secondaries, fill them out, send them out, complete your application, and considered by the schools, it will probably be january or february. Then you get interviewed in february, march or april. At that point you have a chance at the waitlist. Personally, I think it seems like throwing money down the drain.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking - I probably missed the boat on these. It's probably smarter to just stick to the Canadian schools. Just as good, fewer headaches, and tuition is only a fraction.

My premed advisor gave a case study of somebody with almost the exact same stats. She finished applications in December. A lot of med schools outright refused to consider her application, but she got into Brown and IU in the end (IN resident).