US Military duped to help pull off insurance fraud?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmz

Pathology Wannabe
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Any doctor who responds to an argument like this

"If you're not doing this, you're a pile of s**t. You don't care about people. You don't care about cancer. And you don't care about your patients. Bottom line,"

Is probably not a great doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh. I bet the number of fraudulent urine tox screens to necessary ones is like 100:1. At some point Medicare is simply going to wise up and only reimburse like $10. Thousands of dollars?? Who on earth is approving these payments for tox screens?

When white collar crime prison sentences catch up with blue collar, maybe this fraud will slow down. Reward outweighs the risk. American Greed had an episode the other night about a clinic in New York paying patients to have procedures so they could bill medicare. The criminals didn't get very long prison sentences considering how many millions of dollars they stole.

Last edited:
Clay is GUARANTEED to be headed to jail along with many others...

I don't know much about the precedence when it comes to punishment for this crime, but I think LADoc probably is right. After discussions with my lawyer friends about this, recent federal fraud cases have generated significant prison time (5-10 years). What does this mean for other partners of the group? I'm sure they are going to be investigated... Does anyone have an idea of who all would be guilty of a crime here?

The jail sentences do not fit the crime. 5 years for stealing millions of dollars....Someone walks into CVS and robs the place of 100 bucks and some sudafed, they end up with much worse than that. I wish they would really throw the book at people who defraud insurance. Give them many decades in prison. The benefit outweighs the risk.

Clay is GUARANTEED to be headed to jail along with many others...

How exactly do you know he wasn't a victim in this case? The other path listservs I read daily are saying he might have been scammed himself.

Last edited:
How exactly do you know he wasn't a victim in this case? The other path listservs I read daily are saying he might have been scammed himself.

I have known docs who maybe did 1/100th of what is alleged in this case and they did ACTUAL HARD TIME in a federal/state prison.

The government is in total psycho-mode on cracking down on fraud and this has the added twist of using actual military personnel in the scheme.

Lets go over this:
1.) Theranos-light super fraud of Tricare, government payor, jail time
2.) Involvement of active military personnel, jail time
3.) Actual comprise not only of military personnel samples but actual IDs, that alone is jail time

nothing about this says leniency because you have hit multiple levels of no go in Texas. Clay should pray to baby Jesus with all his might they dont send him some place special like Angola Prison in Louisiana to make an example out him.

Dunno, depending on things he might even be better off killing himself now to be honest. I just remember that scene in True Detective: "If you get a chance, kill yourself quick in jail. That maybe your only hope."

People do belong in prison but I doubt Clay had anything to do with this mess.

Media does love to confront those "greedy" doctors, prominantly showing what car they drive.

Sick and tired of the war on the rich going on in this country.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Im unclear how he could have nothing to do with this. He is the MEDICAL DIRECTOR. They are using his lic# to bill for all these tests.

At least Hillary can argue Libya is thousands of miles away from her. This testing was occurring literally in his building...you would an easier time arguing the meth lab in the basement was simply abandoned by the prior renter.

I can see how he will probably spend hard time for this. To be fair though, if he was unaware of the fraud how is it different than many major CEOs whos employees committed fraud but dont serve jail time (think voltzwagen and many wall st companies in financial crisis)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Angola is the state pen of Louisiana, so Cockerell is safe from going there unless he commits a crime in LA....lucky for him bc everyone in LA is positively terrified of Angola.

I know a few of his former trainees and they're split between thinking he has been set up and thinking he is guilty as sin. I find it hard but not impossible to believe that he would jeopardize his entire life to make more money when he is already so extremely wealthy and has a business model that works - he is quite good at getting people to send him their skins. And the whole thing is just so shady and sloppy. He is highly intelligent. If he is behind this, he has some *****s actually doing the day-to-day scam operation. Plus if he goes to prison, it would be very difficult for him to get to his Napa vineyard - now its easy for him to jet off to once he's done signing out.......

http://sidedish.dmagazine.com/2013/...l-family-wine-with-winemaker-christine-barbe/

I know of this dude from WAY back. Looks like he is a crook and is going to the pen. The derms are going to have to get their pre board review from derm path diagnostics. In any case they can do as good a job. Greed got cockerel. I saw this coming 15 years ,or more, years ago.

Like I said about Liz a few years ago, if this dude has not yet been arrested and has his passport he is a fool if he does not go to some non extradition haven..

Always tried to take as much out of any situation as he could while screwing anyone involved along the way. Karma is a bitch.