US MS4 here, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

26B

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looked through some older threads on this forum, but seems like most of the recent "chances" threads were posted by DOs, IMGs, or people with unusual circumstances.

I'm your average to above average MS4 from a large US MD school (I believe it's in the top 50 in USNews rankings, if that matters for anything).

238 Step 1. Just took Step 2 CK, but don't have score yet. All honors in clinical rotations. Senior AOA.
Have a good amount of research/national presentations/pubs, but unfortunately not in anesthesiology.

Do I have a decent shot at top-tier programs like Emory, UAB, Michigan, Duke, UVA, and NYC programs like NYU/Columbia? Or should I consider those "reach" programs and aim to apply to more mid-tier programs?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
With his scores, he will definitely match somewhere, but I think he was asking if he has a good shot at matching top tier programs, which isn't shown in the charting outcome.

Gotcha. I looked too quickly at the top 2/3s of his question related to 'will an MD with these stats match?' I fell for his buried lead.

Looked through some older threads on this forum, but seems like most of the recent "chances" threads were posted by DOs, IMGs, or people with unusual circumstances.

I'm your average to above average MS4 from a large US MD school (I believe it's in the top 50 in USNews rankings, if that matters for anything).

238 Step 1. Just took Step 2 CK, but don't have score yet. All honors in clinical rotations. Senior AOA.
Have a good amount of research/national presentations/pubs, but unfortunately not in anesthesiology.

Do I have a decent shot at top-tier programs like Emory, UAB, Michigan, Duke, UVA, and NYC programs like NYU/Columbia? Or should I consider those "reach" programs and aim to apply to more mid-tier programs?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, because a few of the programs mentioned are very good but not top ten. I'd say the odds are you match at a top 20 program if the interview goes well. If Step 2 is over 245 that should help seal the deal.

Assuming you aren't omitting any red flags, you'll be fine. The match is a crapshoot in some respects- some programs will hedge their bets with more regional candidates, more reasearch-heavy apps, more international health experience, etc, etc, but it sounds like you've done everything you can to put yourself in the best position possible. Just enjoy the ride.

Reactions: 1 user
All honors in clinical rotations. Senior AOA.

You have your pick at whichever residency program you want. The fact that you've honored everything and won the AOA prize proves that you can get along with anyone and everyone and are much smarter than the average med student. You're a hot commodity on the anesthesia interview trail. Don't waste your time doing backup interviews, only invest time/money into interviewing at programs you are really serious about.

As an applicant last year i 100% agree with San Marzano, unless you royally screw up your interviews you will be interviewed by the top tier and very very likely get in your top 3.

You'll be fine. Standard advice - apply broadly because you never know who might read your application and in what mood they are. But you have zero red flags, competitive for top tier as well

As an applicant last year i 100% agree with San Marzano, unless you royally screw up your interviews you will be interviewed by the top tier and very very likely get in your top 3.

"Do I have a decent shot at top-tier programs like Emory, UAB, Michigan, Duke, UVA, and NYC programs like NYU/Columbia? Or should I consider those "reach" programs and aim to apply to more mid-tier programs?"

If that is indicative of your rank list then the odds are 99% you will match at one of those programs. Again, some of the programs you listed are solid but not top ten so you won't have a problem matching in Anesthesia.

To piggyback on this. I have a similar Step 1 score. Step 2 CK not reported yet. However not AOA and have 1 H, 2 NH in 3rd year. Do I still have a shot at some of the same programs 26B mentioned?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for some input as well.
Top 50 school
Step 1: 246
Honors: Medicine, Surgery, Psych (honors is top 20%)
Pass: ob/gyn, peds, neuro, family med
Basically no research. Fairly limited extracurriculars

Looking to go somewhere nice on the west coast a la UCLA, stanford, UCSD.
Input appreciated. Be nice!

You guys are so insecure. Of course you will match on the West Coast. Will you get Stanford or UCSF? Maybe not. But, likely UCSD or UCLA for example. Put a few programs in there like University of Washington and Oregon to make sure you match.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow there are some high-strung MS4s out there! Relax guys, @BLADEMDA is right - you'll be fine with average scores just make sure you don't apply to a small number of places. This is increasingly true for all applications - that is, applying broadly - unless you have some sort of geographic limitation (if you do, competitive subspecialities will make it difficult). This is the answer to just about everyone as long as you have done marginal to good on all the required parts of your application - a very strong clinical performance with good letters may overcome a poor Step score, and maybe vice-versa.

Deep breaths people.

Sorry- it is an anxiety provoking time for us. Hope you oldies can understand ;)

Think about how you'd view an undergrad posting "I'm worried that my 40 on the MCAT, and 3.9 GPA won't be enough to get me into med school..."

No one can promise you a spot in a specific program, but the overwhelming odds are you will match in your top 3.

"Do I have a decent shot at top-tier programs like Emory, UAB, Michigan, Duke, UVA, and NYC programs like NYU/Columbia? Or should I consider those "reach" programs and aim to apply to more mid-tier programs?"

If that is indicative of your rank list then the odds are 99% you will match at one of those programs. Again, some of the programs you listed are solid but not top ten so you won't have a problem matching in Anesthesia.

Thanks for the comments. I would be ecstatic if the match process works out as you guys have suggested! What are some other programs that you would consider to be top-tier?

You have your pick at whichever residency program you want. The fact that you've honored everything and won the AOA prize proves that you can get along with anyone and everyone and are much smarter than the average med student. You're a hot commodity on the anesthesia interview trail. Don't waste your time doing backup interviews, only invest time/money into interviewing at programs you are really serious about.

Thanks for the kind words. I do plan to have a few "safe" options on my list.

You'll be fine. Standard advice - apply broadly because you never know who might read your application and in what mood they are. But you have zero red flags, competitive for top tier as well

Thanks, I do plan to apply very broadly, and I'm open to going pretty much anywhere.

Would Step 2 scores make a big difference to my app one way or the other? (say, if I get a 230 vs. a 260).

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. I would be ecstatic if the match process works out as you guys have suggested! What are some other programs that you would consider to be top-tier?

Would Step 2 scores make a big difference to my app one way or the other? (say, if I get a 230 vs. a 260).

MGH, UCSF, Hopkins, Stanford, Duke (?) seems to be the prevailing "top-tier" group on here.

In regards to your second question this is obviously going to be program dependent as to how much weight they place on step 2. FWIW I think my Strong Step 2 score helped me get into my program, but I have absolutely no way of verifying that.

MGH, UCSF, Hopkins, Stanford, Duke (?) seems to be the prevailing "top-tier" group on here.

In regards to your second question this is obviously going to be program dependent as to how much weight they place on step 2. FWIW I think my Strong Step 2 score helped me get into my program, but I have absolutely no way of verifying that.

Wait a minute slim. The OP listed other programs like Emory, UAB, UVA and UF which are not top 10 IMHO. His chances of matching at any of those 4 programs are very good if not almost a lock. This is in contrast to a possible "top ten" list like Duke, Stanford, MGH, UCSF and Michigan which are a higher tier IMHO.

Do not misunderstand my words as all these programs are solid residencies but these days only about 10-15 of Anesthesiology Residencies are routinely getting AOA allopathic students with Steps over 240.

This just goes to show you that "top" is a very subjective term. I wouldn't go near two of those with a 50 ft stick, two were in my top ten ranks, one I didn't even bother applying to. Wasn't geographically limited at all, matched at my top choice.

This advice gets repeated over and over, but it bears repeating: apply to programs with solid reputations in areas you want to live for 4 years and rank where you fit best.

This just goes to show you that "top" is a very subjective term. I wouldn't go near two of those with a 50 ft stick, two were in my top ten ranks, one I didn't even bother applying to. Wasn't geographically limited at all, matched at my top choice.

This advice gets repeated over and over, but it bears repeating: apply to programs with solid reputations in areas you want to live for 4 years and rank where you fit best.

Or go to a top 10 program if you have the stats.

Wait a minute slim. The OP listed other programs like Emory, UAB, UVA and UF which are not top 10 IMHO. His chances of matching at any of those 4 programs are very good if not almost a lock. This is in contrast to a possible "top ten" list like Duke, Stanford, MGH, UCSF and Michigan which are a higher tier IMHO.

Do not misunderstand my words as all these programs are solid residencies but these days only about 10-15 of Anesthesiology Residencies are routinely getting AOA allopathic students with Steps over 240.

Sorry I think I misunderstood your response, or misunderstood his question. I thought he was asking what as considered top tier, not whether the programs he was applying to were top tier.

Or go to a top 10 program if you have the stats.

Tough for me to argue with that as I was lucky enough to find world-class training and "my" type of people at one program in a city I'm thrilled to have the chance to live in for a few years. But medicine, and residency in particular, takes so much from us- I'm not sure I could personally stomach four years of slave labor in an undesireable location with people I don't enjoy being around in return for an impressive crest on my diploma. Obviously that's an extreme scenario, but "rank" get's so much airtime on this forum...

Thanks for the responses everyone. Anyone know a good resource for judging the quality of a training program? I am having trouble deciding where (or where not) to apply. I have been going mainly by location so far. Comments appreciated.