US News 2014 Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dws276

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I'm goin to get bashed but is anyone else excited for the new rankings coming out on the 12th. Did your borderline top 20 school fall/rise a few spots? Big changes in the top 5? Most the schools I've gotten into ad around the 15-30 spot so I am at least interested to see if there are any big changes even though I am already set on which program, to attend

Anyone got any predictions? :D

Let the bashing commence :naughty:

Members don't see this ad.

This thread should be burned with fire.

tumblr_mcku5hVEKI1qbixt4.gif

I know I'm goin to get bashed but is anyone else excited for the new rankings coming out on the 12th. Did your borderline top 20 school fall/rise a few spots? Big changes in the top 5? Most the schools I've gotten into ad around the 15-30 spot so I am at least interested to see if there are any big changes even though I am already set on which program, to attend

I'm making sure to add this to the top of my list of things I don't care about. Right next to the MLB regular season but slightly ahead of the Teen Choice awards and VMAs.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yea, I'm interested. Schadenfreude. Ideally, all the schools that accepted me will thrive and have a prosperous boost in rank, while those that reject/waitlist me plummet to the gloomy depths of "unranked"...or was it "rank not reported"?

...can't ever keep those straight.

What's the point? Does being Top 20 mean much to those who aren't MD/PhD?

I'm making a big prediction:

The Top 25 schools for Research last year will be the same Top 25 schools this year. And Harvard and Johns Hopkins will be ranked #1 and #2 respectively.

I care about the US news rankings. So sue me.

I predict UCLA and UCSD rising due to funding

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, not a single a person on this forum doesn't have the first 20 or so schools memorized. We are all going to look at them as soon as they come out. Stop being holier than thou.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, not a single a person on this forum doesn't have the first 20 or so schools memorized. We are all going to look at them as soon as they come out. Stop being holier than thou.

I don't care or know what are the top twenty because I knew I had no chance at them with my sub-par GPA. I'm just happy to get into ANY MD program.

I was definitely obsessed about in high school and I went to a top 20 UG, but after seeing how I got ZERO slack for my lower GPA at a school that should be arguably be a little tougher, it kinda lost its luster.

My accepted school isn't even on the ranking list and I could care less. :D

Thanks for the update OP. I'm sure many people on SDN may find themselves taking a peak or two :thumbup:

+1 :)

I care. Haters gonna hate.

yeah, not a single a person on this forum doesn't have the first 20 or so schools memorized. We are all going to look at them as soon as they come out. Stop being holier than thou.

Sent from my droid razr using tapatalk 2
+2

double negative fail.

Care all you want. Just know that a ton of the methodology they use is crap. Total NIH funding and "Average research activity per faculty" have *such* a big impact on med student education.
True, the residency director surveys are the only part of the rankings I'm interested in.

double negative fail.

Care all you want. Just know that a ton of the methodology they use is crap. Total NIH funding and "Average research activity per faculty" have *such* a big impact on med student education.

how is this a 'double negative fail'?

he is saying that everyone on SDN knows the top 20 schools

even no. of negatives = positive

LOL. You post this thread on a law school forum and it hits 10 pages within a few hours.

True, the residency director surveys are the only part of the rankings I'm interested in.

That's actually a good point. Unfortunately, it varies by field. School X may be top 5 in specialty A, but mid-tier in specialty B. In Ophtho, for example, UMiami and Jefferson have two of the best programs out there, yet the reputation of their med schools are middling at best. (Jeff also has a top Ortho program).

how is this a 'double negative fail'?

he is saying that everyone on SDN knows the top 20 schools

even no. of negatives = positive

not a single person does not have have the top 20 memorized?

awkward at best, and flat out wrong at the worst. I don't have them memorized and I didn't 4+ years ago when I applied. I'd argue plenty of people are in the same boat.

That's actually a good point. Unfortunately, it varies by field. School X may be top 5 in specialty A, but mid-tier in specialty B. In Ophtho, for example, UMiami and Jefferson have two of the best programs out there, yet the reputation of their med schools are middling at best. (Jeff also has a top Ortho program).

awkward at best, and flat out wrong at the worst. I don't have them memorized and I didn't 4+ years ago when I applied. I'd argue plenty of people are in the same boat.

I wasn't debating the literal truth of what he said, I was pointing out that the use of a double negative was correct. And of course I don't believe that everyone on SDN has the top 20 on mental speed dial, just that they have probably looked at the rankings a few times. I mean come on, who doesn't look up the rankings of the schools they are applying to or at the very least the schools they are accepted at - concerns about methodology/objectiveness aside.

On SDN? I bet I'm more right than wrong. It's uncouth to talk about it, and everyone pretends they don't care (insecurity plays a lot into it), but everyone looks at the rankings and talks about "top 10/20" schools (and chances of getting in).

What I said was clunky but makes sense. I intentionally used a double negative for effect.

To say you don't care about these rankings is a flat out lie. These rankings might not be accurate at all, but it is how the majority of people (friends and family outside of med) see your school.

To say you don't care about these rankings is a flat out lie. These rankings might not be accurate at all, but it is how the majority of people (friends and family outside of med) see your school.

This. End of discussion.

For what it's worth I remember a faculty presenter being very proud of the school's US News ranking and saying that places like Columbia wouldn't be too happy to fall in the rankings.

On SDN? I bet I'm more right than wrong. It's uncouth to talk about it, and everyone pretends they don't care (insecurity plays a lot into it), but everyone looks at the rankings and talks about "top 10/20" schools (and chances of getting in).

What I said was clunky but makes sense. I intentionally used a double negative for effect.

That's fine then, have it your way. I think plenty of people care, and a lof of them post here. But plenty of people don't. There are a lot of applicants who are geographically limited and will not flying around the country trying to get into the best school possible as determined by these rankings.

Your first sentence sounds like that thread about MCAT scores when pre-meds refused to believe that an attending couldn't remember his score from 30 years ago.

Family members recognize big name places like Harvard and Johns Hopkins. You think the average west coast family and friends knows anything about the *reputation* of Mt. Sinai or the University of Chicago? Or conversely, that the average east coast Uncle Joe knows anything about the medical education at UCSD or the University of Washington?

No, but they know how to google.

P.S I'm not sure why you decided to associate me with a thread I did not post in.

That's fine then, have it your way. I think plenty of people care, and a lof of them post here. But plenty of people don't. There are a lot of applicants who are geographically limited and will not flying around the country trying to get into the best school possible as determined by these rankings.

Just because they are limited doesn't mean they don't care. The people who tend not to care are probably people accepted to schools far down on the list.. there's no shame in wanting to go to better schools. As flawed as the rankings are, the 'tiers' that you can extrapolate from them are likely pretty consistent.

No, but they know how to google.

P.S I'm not sure why you decided to associate me with a thread I did not post in.

Because your attitude reminded me of that thread. There is a certain pre-allo SDN mindset that you'll grow out of once you actually start med school and realize a lot of what people talk about and obsess about here is wrong and/or a waste of time.

Just because they are limited doesn't mean they don't care. The people who tend not to care are probably people accepted to schools far down on the list.. there's no shame in wanting to go to better schools. As flawed as the rankings are, the 'tiers' that you can extrapolate from them are likely pretty consistent.

That's pretty bold and elitist, don't you think? I'm not arguing that the rankings are completely worthless, just that some people (correctly) care less than you. Care less in this example means they don't have the top 20 memorized.

Here's the kicker: Normal people don't really give a **** about that. Unless they are prestige ******, which in that case, aren't people you would kick it with a few beers or have normal convos with. Those family members would get laughed at, same with those friends, who I would introduce them to the opposite sex(or same sex) so they can learn how to get freaky.

I can't tell you who the top 5 are. If I had to make a blind guess....

Harvard, Rush, Baylor, Case Western, and Meharry.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, I guess that assumes I was "slightly" off with my guesses haha

But really, I can't imagine that many people actually caring, especially given the posts mocking it. I'm sure a tiny percentage might care which is nice. You definitely can't ever be surprised that there are people that don't care about it. Sure, some might glance at it for curiosity, then throw it away. The person who said family/friends are gonna care is laughable....is that actually important? Are they gonna disown you if you go to a non top 20 school?

Because your attitude reminded me of that thread. There is a certain pre-allo SDN mindset that you'll grow out of once you actually start med school and realize a lot of what people talk about and obsess about here is wrong and/or a waste of time.

Did you read my reasoning at all? I know the rankings don't mean squat, but many others outside of medicine don't know that. If you go to a respectable school, don't you at least want your parents to know that?

Did you read my reasoning at all? I know the rankings don't mean squat, but many others outside of medicine don't know that. If you go to a respectable school, don't you at least want your parents to know that?

If it happens to fall in the top tier column, that would be a neat thing to bring up. Otherwise, any medical school would result in something cool to inform them of. Besides, your parents will be happy with any success, unless she's a tiger mom or something :scared:

Well, I guess that assumes I was "slightly" off with my guesses haha

But really, I can't imagine that many people actually caring, especially given the posts mocking it. I'm sure a tiny percentage might care which is nice. You definitely can't ever be surprised that there are people that don't care about it. Sure, some might glance at it for curiosity, then throw it away. The person who said family/friends are gonna care is laughable....is that actually important? Are they gonna disown you if you go to a non top 20 school?

It's not laughable. Would you rather your mom and pops think that you go to a school that's bottom of the barrel? Come on now...

If it happens to fall in the top tier column, that would be a neat thing to bring up. Otherwise, any medical school would result in something cool to inform them of. Besides, your parents will be happy with any success, unless she's a tiger mom or something :scared:

Lol. I am asian after all.

It's not laughable. Would you rather your mom and pops think that you go to a school that's bottom of the barrel? Come on now...

Why would they care?

EDIT: I Read the above post. Nevermind then :p

Didn't mean to be brash in terms of the interest of rankings. Didn't think there were this many people interested in a list!

Why would they actually care? I can't imagine regular parents who would put any emphasis on that whatsoever. Would your parents care? If so, why does it matter? Is it cultural or something?

They might not care, but I care what they think.

Anyway, off to bed now.

Why would they care?

EDIT: I Read the above post. Nevermind then :p

Didn't mean to be brash in terms of the interest of rankings. Didn't think there were this many people interested in a list!

I think we call all agree the rankings don't mean much. But still interested to see whether my school moves up/down!

Most people cant name 1/4 of US MD schools, let alone their rank. People in the medical community care. Nobody else does.

I'll probably be taking a look, because I like numbers. Thanks for the heads up.

Half the people here instinctively convulse when they read the word "ranking" - relax, guys ;)

I'm surprised people haven't figured this out yet. Rankings/prestige are part of the unholy trinity of SDN, right along with URM and MD vs DO. Speak of them at your own peril.