US pre-med interested to study and practice in the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenjoie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question may have come up before, but I was unable to find the information I am looking for. I am an American pre-med student in the process of applying for the 2014 cycle. I am applying for US schools, but the truth is my long-term goal is to move out of the country and live abroad in Europe. I recently stumbled across the Atlantic Bridge program and it got me wondering...exactly what options are out there for someone who wants to study and practice in a different country? Do foreign schools give higher admission consideration to students who actually plan to stay in the country following graduation rather that just getting an education and leaving? Other than Atlantic Bridge, what should be my plan of attack if applying to school overseas?

Members don't see this ad.

This question may have come up before, but I was unable to find the information I am looking for. I am an American pre-med student in the process of applying for the 2014 cycle. I am applying for US schools, but the truth is my long-term goal is to move out of the country and live abroad in Europe. I recently stumbled across the Atlantic Bridge program and it got me wondering...exactly what options are out there for someone who wants to study and practice in a different country? Do foreign schools give higher admission consideration to students who actually plan to stay in the country following graduation rather that just getting an education and leaving? Other than Atlantic Bridge, what should be my plan of attack if applying to school overseas?

If you want to move to Europe post graduation you should apply to the Irish schools through the Atlantic Bridge or UK schools. If you want to apply to UK schools you'll need to write the UKCAT which is a simple test really and decide to go for graduate entry programs or the normal programs. GEM programs are 4 years but more competitive and normal programs are 5 or 6 years (depends on the school) and are less competitive. GEM programs are only for people with a bachelors. Deadline is pretty much about to pass in 5 days for the UK though.

No school gives you higher admissions consideration if you plan on staying.

If you plan on staying its preferable to stay in the UK unless you speak another language fluently. In that case you will be doing medical school for 4-5 years (i doubt you'd want to do a 6 year program that gives you a BSc/MD) and then foundation years (sort of like internship year) for 2 years. Following that if you still aren't a EU citizen you are at a disadvantage when applying for specialties so by this point marrying an EU citizen really helps. After you enter specialty training you basically are set.

If you decide to return you'll need to write the USMLE. You'll have a harder time getting back than if you just stayed in a US medical school in the first place and you'll probably be restricted to more less competitive specialties.

Keep in mind though salaries are lower in the UK than in the US. Consultants max out at around 110k pounds if you work in a public hospital. Private consultants can hit large salaries but usually demand for private is limited and so unless you are really good and really experienced you won't go private.

Salaries in continental Europe are even lower.

Thank you so much for the input, I really appreciate it! I definitely want to apply this year if possible, so I will probably take the Atlantic Bridge route.

We would more than likely settle somewhere in Great Britain, as that is what affords the best compromise between his and my tastes (I think he would be happiest living in a two-room cottage, herding sheep...I would die from boredom).

As for the money, at the risk of sounding like some condescending do-good hippie, it really isn't about the money for me. I am getting into medicine because after a decade of trying to find happiness in several other fields I have finally realized that it is just where I am supposed to be.