US Stafford Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greens

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question for any American students who went abroad for medical school, used stafford loans while in school, and then graduated from medical school and did not immediately go back to the states to start a residency but worked abroad. Anyway, did you have to start repaying your loans after the 6 month grace period or could you get a deferment because working as a House officer (or whatever a new graduate doctor is called in your respective country) is similar to being a resident in America? I'm asking this because when you are in a residency in America your loans can automatically be deferred until you finish. I graduate in three weeks and start working as a House officer November 23rd in New Zealand. I have tried to find out information from the University of Auckland student advisor for US students here, but he honestly has no idea, so I thought I might see if other people have been in similar situations to mine and what they had to do.

Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: