US supplies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvrsumr

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been using a $4 ultrasound sleeve/sterile gel/rubberband kit as well as a 1$ chloroprep swab for US procedures. With the new cuts I need a cheaper alternative. Any suggestions? Ive tried sterile glove or tegaderm but really hated. Specific vendors would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sell your ultrasound machine?

Seriously though. Cheaper suggestions should you decide to keep working for damn near free...

1. NO sleeve or tegaderm. It really is not needed for most injections.

2. Anything other than chloraprep

I bought some condom looking covers specifically made for US and the sound waves don't transmit through the rubber! Am I doing something wrong here? Any suggestions on other specific brands would be appreciated

Ohhhhh duh, haha that's what the problem was. Thanks Ligament!

I bought some condom looking covers specifically made for US and the sound waves don't transmit through the rubber! Am I doing something wrong here? Any suggestions on other specific brands would be appreciated

Clubdeac: did u put gel inside the cover as well???

Ohhhhh duh, haha that's what the problem was. Thanks Ligament!

gotta make this a sticky.....quoted for posterity

Reactions: 1 users
can use saran wrap to cover probe work ok no air bubbles,or glove but then have to deal with looseness of it and is messy, not sterile but can clean the injection site along side
prior to needle insertion.

Started using condoms and gel mixed with betadine. I'd just go back to Fluoro for most msk injections but my patients seem to think US is cool

Last edited:
I use sterile gel but no cover. We Use sterile prep (not chloroprep, but apparently guaranteed to kill 99.99% of all bad bacteria) to clean probe. After sterile prep of patient, I have nurse place clean sterile wipe on probe, grab probe and wipe off probe....

I use sterile gel but no cover. We Use sterile prep (not chloroprep, but apparently guaranteed to kill 99.99% of all bad bacteria) to clean probe. After sterile prep of patient, I have nurse place clean sterile wipe on probe, grab probe and wipe off probe....

That's what I do right now too since I was too dumb to realize I needed to put gel in the covers and sent them back, hehe. I just wipe probe off with chloroprep. Duct, what sterile prep are you using? Is it cheaper than chloroprep?

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, do NOT wipe off the probes with any alcohol based cleaner, nor any generic medical cleaning wipes! You will eventually destroy your probes, it will degrade the film over the crystals. Cost me $4000 in repair fees to learn this. There are cleaning sprays specifically designed for us probes.

where have you been buying it?

ive been told by the GE rep to use Super Sani-Cloth. from PDI. germicidal disposable wipes. dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chlorides, and dimethyl benzyl ammonium chlorides.
http://www.amazon.com/PDI-Super-San...d=1389304568&sr=1-1&keywords=super+sani-cloth

i just looked up the pdi for T spray-ii (available from Amazon.com, btw, $19.99 for 250 ml bottle). seems like similar contents:
ALKYL DIMETHYL BENZYL AMMONIUM CHLORIDE (C12-16)
OCTYL DECYL DIMETHYL AMMONIUM CHLORIDE
DIOCTYL DIMETHYL AMMONIUM CHLORIDE
DIDECYL DIMETHYL AMMONIUM CHLORIDE

Last edited:
PDI is equivalent to T spray
chloraprep has isopropyl but hibiclens does not. As far as I know, chlorhexidine won't damage US transducers

Anything with a high alcohol concentration will destroy your probe. I use chlorhexadine before procedures, and Sani-cloth post-procedure to clean the probe. Do not use the above cited cloth- the alcohol content is too high. Use this one instead:
http://www.amazon.com/Sani-Cloth-Plus-Germicidal-Disposable-Cloth/dp/B000R3CBZM/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2
I'll confirm with the GE rep tomorrow, but the Super Sani wipe is what he originally recommended. I've seen no degradation over the past 3 years.

no you want the HB or AF3 versions. the Super is highly alcohol based, the plus is lower

no you want the HB or AF3 versions. the Super is highly alcohol based, the plus is lower

whats this percent difference in alcohol, cant tell from the link

whats this percent difference in alcohol, cant tell from the link

Chlorohex gluconate solution - 4% also has alcohol in it, how it this reported to be safe for use on the transducer. At a ultrasound conference a couple years ago I was told (by a reputable instructor) he uses chrolohex either alone or mixed w gel (for uneven areas) also using it as cleaner, seemed one stop and not having use all the additional items. But i wonder w the alcohol content what is going to happen to the transducer. Is there a "safe" percent of alcohol??
Anyone care to comment

ligament had to replace his probe after using prep that had alcohol in it.

Super Sani cloth is high alcohol - 55%. says so in the link. Sani-cloth-plus is alcohol free.

so let me understand this, you basically,

1. sterile prep the site with whatever (betadine, chloroprep?)

2. wipe the u/s probe with something like this to sterilize the probe,
Amazon product

3. apply sterile gel on the site or on the probe

4. grab the probe that's sterilized supposedly, and work directly without any u/s sterile cover

I'm just curious, how comfortable are you with you the sterilization of u/s probe in step #2? Is it really sterile enough?

For an injection that is never spinal, pretty comfortable.

I use US for injections that are pretty much similar to trigger point injections. From what I see, “standard of care” doesn’t even include sterile gloves for such procedures, or use only alcohol as prep...

Betadine prep. gel. Condom over probe. Needle insertion thru betadine prep but not thru gel

Use ultrasound first to locate the target, then use chloroprep or betadine on the skin at an entry point to the side of the US probe on its long axis, and removed from the US probe location. No sterile prep directly under the US probe or sterile sheath needed as long as a needle approach parallel to the US long axis is possible.

Reactions: 1 user