USA dentist practicing in another country question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_veo_

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've been practicing for two years now and my husband has been offered a job in Singapore. I contacted their dental council and it seems not too complicated for me to go and practice there.
My question is that if anyone has been in a situation where they moved to another country for a few years and came back to the USA after that without any problems.
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I do not want to go if it will affect my abilities to come back and continue being a dentist here. I know that CA, does not accept me practicing in another country to fulfill its 5 year requirement if I want to go and practice there without taking their board exam.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there would be any issue with you coming back. But just remember, if you take off 2 years or so, that means you're out of 2 years experience, and not sure if you applied for a job, they would take in consideration that it was in another country. Our practices might be a bit different than how they teach it over there.

Hope this at least helps a little :)

I don't think there would be any issue with you coming back. But just remember, if you take off 2 years or so, that means you're out of 2 years experience, and not sure if you applied for a job, they would take in consideration that it was in another country. Our practices might be a bit different than how they teach it over there.

Hope this at least helps a little :)

Thank you so much for your reply. Definitely something to consider!