USA med school curriculum question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sircamjim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I'd like to know how the curriculum of some USA med schools are, not only general info but what the subjects are and the teaching model used. I'll give you an example from the med school I go to (I'm from Mexico by the way)

In Mexico when you graduate from high school you make an knowledge and inteligence test. If you get selected you enter to the med school where the first two years in are about basic sciences (anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, embriology, genetics, sometimes physiopathology and six months of theory about examination) The model used in these subjects is almost always constructivist model. Almost all good schools have labs where you learn to start an investigation, learn and make some lab studies, in anatomy you have dissection in human bodies and you can start an investigation by yourself.

Then, you go to major hospitals for two or three years where the subjects are some medicine fields (like hematology, surgery, ortho, etc) Here you are with an attending physician learning about physiopathology, treatment and how to exam the patient. The model used is a mix of constructivist and problem based learning.

Then you have to rotate (pre-grade rotation internship) where you are who have contact with the patient and do almost everything you have the hability to do but there's always an attending watching you and teaching you. You rotate in a hospital. And finally, you do a year of social service where you are the doctor in a poor area and you have to do an epidemiologic study of the population. Also, if there's a sprout of a contagious disease or intoxication you start the epidemiologic work and call for help to the Health Institute. Obviously, we have to specialize in the field we are interested, it takes from three to seven more years

But, in the med school I go to we have a modular program in the first two years. We have an introduction module and three independant modules where you have subjects like nervous system, cardiovascular, etc where we learn anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, physiopathology etc about each system. Also we have a 7 hour class once a week in a clinic where we learn and practice to exam the patient in the areas the semester cover, for example this semester we have osteomioarticular system, nervous and endocrine system so in the clinic class we learn semiology and to exam the patient in these areas.

Thank you

(BTW I readed Q&A)

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so here's the basic rundown

After high school (secondary school), you enter *college* where you complete a bachelors degree. During your bachelors degree, you must complete some pre-requisite courses: A year of Biology, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Physics, and some other minor courses. Next, you must take the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) where it would be advisable to receive a score of 32 or higher. The highest score is 45, which is very difficult to achieve.

Next you apply to medical school. The following depends on the medical school, but it is very similar:

Usually the first two years of medical school are your basic sciences. After your first two years, you'll take an exam proving your competency in those basic sciences. Next you'll usually do two years of clinical rotations in hospitals around and affiliated with your medical school.

Ok, so here's the basic rundown

After high school (secondary school), you enter *college* where you complete a bachelors degree.

I love how you asterisked "college".

While I did grow more mature during college, and reaffirmed my desire to be a doctor, looking back, it was such as waste of time for me. I kinda learned nothing other than life.